The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

UWE Computer Science

Hey I've just finished my first year here! So am wondering if anyone has any questions about the course or about the uni ! I lived in student village ! Feel free to ask anything
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by lizziecr
Hey I've just finished my first year here! So am wondering if anyone has any questions about the course or about the uni ! I lived in student village ! Feel free to ask anything

Hi
I know you said you lived in the student village but I just wondered whether you know anything about wallscourt park? Also what Uwe is like on the social side of things?
Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Hodor_10
Hi
I know you said you lived in the student village but I just wondered whether you know anything about wallscourt park? Also what Uwe is like on the social side of things?
Thanks

My friends live on wallscourt so have been there a few times! The houses there are really nice. 4 people on each floor and the bedrooms have enough space. You share a toilet/shower/sink with another person (the same gender as you). The beds are 3/4 so much bigger than the single beds people in student village get.
Every tuesday night the SU (which is very close to wallscourt) have an event called lock in - has cheap drinks and good music.
The buses come all the time 70/71 running 24 hours. But if you want to get into town fast use the X buses as they go on the motorway (~20 minutes)
Bristol has a very good night life, there is always somewhere to go so you wont get bored. Sharing taxis are good too - but avoid the ones on campus as they are expensive- ring a company instead.
Reply 4
@UWE Bristol Thanks for mentioning me!

@lizziecr what do you study? I am starting Computer Science this year and was wondering how Frenchay Campus is like. What would you say about the people living there?
Also how do you find travelling between student village and city centre (is it true that you get free bus pass on this route)? I've applied for Marketgate accommodation as it seems to be better place to stay - I will have to work in the evenings. My second choice is Carroll Court. I've seen pictures of it but they are quite small and you can't really see much of it. What's your opinion about it?
Reply 5
Original post by Mandoka
@UWE Bristol Thanks for mentioning me!

@lizziecr what do you study? I am starting Computer Science this year and was wondering how Frenchay Campus is like. What would you say about the people living there?
Also how do you find travelling between student village and city centre (is it true that you get free bus pass on this route)? I've applied for Marketgate accommodation as it seems to be better place to stay - I will have to work in the evenings. My second choice is Carroll Court. I've seen pictures of it but they are quite small and you can't really see much of it. What's your opinion about it?

Hey,
I study Computer Science here. The campus is good as it's away from everything and has 3 shops on campus. Asda and sainsburys are very close to campus. The buses to the centre run fairly often but you DON'T get a free bus pass - it is like £325 for the year.
Carroll Court is on campus so you wouldn't have to splash out on the bus pass.
Reply 6
Hey,
I study Computer Science here. The campus is good as it's away from everything and has 3 shops on campus. Asda and sainsburys are very close to campus. The buses to the centre run fairly often but you DON'T get a free bus pass - it is like £325 for the year.
Carroll Court is on campus so you wouldn't have to splash out on the bus pass.

Hey Lizzie

So only students living in city centre get free bus pass to Frenchay? :/ How does the student life looks like there? Are there any pubs nearby or you better take a bus to centre?

Regarding Computer Science - can you tell me something more about the course? How do you like it? How many hours approx have you had during your first year?
Are the facilities on site good enough for working?
Reply 7
It's probaby bit stupid question but can we possibly keep small pets inside our room (guinea pigs)?
Reply 8
Original post by Mandoka
Hey Lizzie

So only students living in city centre get free bus pass to Frenchay? :/ How does the student life looks like there? Are there any pubs nearby or you better take a bus to centre?

Regarding Computer Science - can you tell me something more about the course? How do you like it? How many hours approx have you had during your first year?
Are the facilities on site good enough for working?

There are no free bus passes.
Student life is amazing - really good night life.
it is best to take a bus to the city centre.

There are four modules on the comp sci course.
Java, AI, POC and Cans
They are all good modules - however you may find some a little boring
It is important to take notes during lectures to help you revise.

No pets allowed.

Hey if possible, could you tell me what carroll court is like if please?
Thanks
Reply 10
I have a few questions...
What is the social life/night life like (in bristol and halls)?
How often do you go into Bristol?
How much maths is involved in the course?
Do you get much help if struggling?
How did you find the course?
I'm also doing Cs at UWE except for this year.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mandoka
It's probaby bit stupid question but can we possibly keep small pets inside our room (guinea pigs)?

How did you find your first year Mandoka?

Quick Reply