The Student Room Group

Maths /Further Maths - how do AQA recombine the units to maximise your grades?

Last year I squeezed an A in AS FM as well as AS Maths, as AQA kindly moved my high scoring S1 paper from my maths A level to FM - and moved M1 to Maths.

I understand the same can happen at A2, but I've looked at the specification and I'm not clear if they can only rearrange the units that are sat this year - if the combination of the AS units are set in stone, Or can they recombine any of the 12 units over the whole A Level, while obviously satisfying the criteria for C1-C4 in Maths and three A2 units in FM. It would make it much easier for me to get an A this year in FM if they are able to move my poor FP1 mark over to Maths....
Reply 1
Original post by Herbiechester
Last year I squeezed an A in AS FM as well as AS Maths, as AQA kindly moved my high scoring S1 paper from my maths A level to FM - and moved M1 to Maths.

I understand the same can happen at A2, but I've looked at the specification and I'm not clear if they can only rearrange the units that are sat this year - if the combination of the AS units are set in stone, Or can they recombine any of the 12 units over the whole A Level, while obviously satisfying the criteria for C1-C4 in Maths and three A2 units in FM. It would make it much easier for me to get an A this year in FM if they are able to move my poor FP1 mark over to Maths....

The rules are the same for all the exam boards. They allocate your units maximising the following:

The best Maths A level grade

The best Further Maths A level Grade

The best Maths UMS

in that order.

Maths has to contain: C1-4 and 2 applied units that are both 1s (e.g. M1 and S1) or a 1 and a 2 of the same letter (e.g. M1 and M2)
Further Maths: FP1, at least one from FP2 and FP3 plus any other units to make 6 that have not been used for Maths.
Original post by Compost
The rules are the same for all the exam boards. They allocate your units maximising the following:

The best Maths A level grade

The best Further Maths A level Grade

The best Maths UMS

in that order.

Maths has to contain: C1-4 and 2 applied units that are both 1s (e.g. M1 and S1) or a 1 and a 2 of the same letter (e.g. M1 and M2)
Further Maths: FP1, at least one from FP2 and FP3 plus any other units to make 6 that have not been used for Maths.

Thank you! But can I have further clarification - can they only rearrange my exams this year, or are the whole two years up for recombination according the to the above rules?
Reply 3
Original post by Herbiechester
Thank you! But can I have further clarification - can they only rearrange my exams this year, or are the whole two years up for recombination according the to the above rules?

As long as your centre has cashed you in again for everything (which is standard practice) then everything you have ever taken can be moved round to maximise your grades. (Should they have forgotten - and it is unlikely - then you can fix it after results day. Just check that you do have the best grades you can and contact the centre if you haven't).

Quick Reply

Latest