The Student Room Group

Moving schools for sixth form

Hi,

I am currently doing GCSEs and I don't know what school to go to for sixth form. I have got conditional offers for two schools- Henrietta Barnet and Dr. Challoner's High School.But I don't know if I want to move even if I meet the offers, which are quite high. I really do love my current school and the only reason I want to move is because I won't get to do German A level at my here. I didn't go to the open days for either of those schools as I didn't think I would even be considering moving. Can anyone on here give me any advice or tell me anything at all about these schools? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much
Original post by niv1234
Hi,

I am currently doing GCSEs and I don't know what school to go to for sixth form. I have got conditional offers for two schools- Henrietta Barnet and Dr. Challoner's High School.But I don't know if I want to move even if I meet the offers, which are quite high. I really do love my current school and the only reason I want to move is because I won't get to do German A level at my here. I didn't go to the open days for either of those schools as I didn't think I would even be considering moving. Can anyone on here give me any advice or tell me anything at all about these schools? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much

1) I also got an offer at Dr Challoner's High School and went to their external applicants open morning in February which was really good because you got a taster of what lessons are like and how sixth form works at their school. A good idea to see if you like the school would be to go to their induction day in a few weeks and take it from there.
2) I also have a few friends at Henrietta Barnett who love their school but feel that as the majority of the girls are extremely intellectual the teachers have a more independent approach to teaching.

To be honest if you want to take German A-level as you enjoy it then you should certainly move as having a language at A-level is a fantastic skill to have.
xxx
Original post by fashionlover511
1) I also got an offer at Dr Challoner's High School and went to their external applicants open morning in February which was really good because you got a taster of what lessons are like and how sixth form works at their school. A good idea to see if you like the school would be to go to their induction day in a few weeks and take it from there.
2) I also have a few friends at Henrietta Barnett who love their school but feel that as the majority of the girls are extremely intellectual the teachers have a more independent approach to teaching.

To be honest if you want to take German A-level as you enjoy it then you should certainly move as having a language at A-level is a fantastic skill to have.
xxx

Hi,
Thanks for replying. Yeah I went to that too, but I didn't go to the first open day I don't even know if there was one. So are you thinking of moving there and are you going to the induction day in June?
Original post by niv1234
Hi,
Thanks for replying. Yeah I went to that too, but I didn't go to the first open day I don't even know if there was one. So are you thinking of moving there and are you going to the induction day in June?

Yes I'm definitely moving there and I'm going to the Induction day in June but I'm arriving slightly late as I have my last GCSE that day :s-smilie:
i've been at hbs since year 7 and i personally enjoy it, everybody says they hate it lol but that's bc there's so much beef between everybody, however it's so relaxed and a lot of people are very friendly, there is basically no dress code for 6th form and the teachers aren't strict at all.If you decide on going to HBS, making friends may seem tough bc groups have formed over the course of the last 5 years however believe me, it wont be bc there'll be other new people plus some groups would let you in lol.My friend is gonna do German A level and the teachers seem good. Also,HBS is a school that will look good on uni applications, i'm also in year 11 so maybe see you next year depending on what you choose lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rehaanjali
i've been at hbs since year 7 and i personally enjoy it, everybody says they hate it lol but that's bc there's so much beef between everybody, however it's so relaxed and a lot of people are very friendly, there is basically no dress code for 6th form and the teachers aren't strict at all.If you decide on going to HBS, making friends may seem tough bc groups have formed over the course of the last 5 years however believe me, it wont be bc there'll be other new people plus some groups would let you in lol.My friend is gonna do German A level and the teachers seem good. Also,HBS is a school that will look good on uni applications, i'm also in year 11 so maybe see you next year depending on what you choose lol

Hi,

Yeah maybe see you next year.
Reply 6
Original post by niv1234
Hi,

Thank you very much

May I ask what your conditional offer was for Henrietta Barnett? I'm in year 10 and really want to go there and I was wondering what the average offer is
Original post by e2014
May I ask what your conditional offer was for Henrietta Barnett? I'm in year 10 and really want to go there and I was wondering what the average offer is

HI, yeah sure. They just told me I had to meet my predicted grades, which is 10 A*S (not going to happen). They value different subjects differently though so I think it depends on your predicted grades next year and what subjects you do.
Original post by niv1234
Hi,

Thank you very much

Damnnn, you are smart! Pick any school that is good for what you want to do. My older sister had the same issue(she's in uni now) when she had to decide on what sixth form to go to. She went to my sixth form to do her English Lit, History and Psychology but she stayed in her old school to do Spanish as my school didn't provide A level Spanish. If this might be too much work for you then consider what sixth form you will feel conformable with as well as what school is better at your particular subjects.
Original post by Defraction
Damnnn, you are smart! Pick any school that is good for what you want to do. My older sister had the same issue(she's in uni now) when she had to decide on what sixth form to go to. She went to my sixth form to do her English Lit, History and Psychology but she stayed in her old school to do Spanish as my school didn't provide A level Spanish. If this might be too much work for you then consider what sixth form you will feel conformable with as well as what school is better at your particular subjects.

Oh ok. Thanks for the advice. Did your sister have any issues with clashes with Alevel times. I still haven't decided which school to go to. I can move schools and do 4 subjects or stay and do 3. But I know someone who works at another school and she says she can teach me Alevel German privately then I can sit the exam as a private candidate at her school. I was just worried that some of my Alevel exams might clash and things would get messed up. Do you know how spaced out Alevel exams are likely to be and if they clash often?

Thanks again for the advice.
Reply 10
If you really enjoy learning German, then I would suggest you to move schools. It really depends on what you want to do in the future. :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks for the advice.
Original post by niv1234
Oh ok. Thanks for the advice. Did your sister have any issues with clashes with Alevel times. I still haven't decided which school to go to. I can move schools and do 4 subjects or stay and do 3. But I know someone who works at another school and she says she can teach me Alevel German privately then I can sit the exam as a private candidate at her school. I was just worried that some of my Alevel exams might clash and things would get messed up. Do you know how spaced out Alevel exams are likely to be and if they clash often?

Thanks again for the advice.

No, it didn't clash as both schools made it work for her to have her do subjects in both schools. If your A-level exams do clash, then both schools will allow it to work. Generally, A level languages are later on compared to the other subjects. Like my friend finished her A level polish exam last week and another friend finished her A level German 2 weeks ago. So, hopefully it will work for you.

If it doesn't, ask your school what the best option is.
Original post by Defraction
No, it didn't clash as both schools made it work for her to have her do subjects in both schools. If your A-level exams do clash, then both schools will allow it to work. Generally, A level languages are later on compared to the other subjects. Like my friend finished her A level polish exam last week and another friend finished her A level German 2 weeks ago. So, hopefully it will work for you.

If it doesn't, ask your school what the best option is.

Oh ok thank you. I think I might do this then if I decide I want to stay.
Original post by niv1234
Hi,

Thank you very much

Just make sure you decide so you don't have to do like me and change school after year 12!
Original post by marcobruni98
Just make sure you decide so you don't have to do like me and change school after year 12!

Oh ok thanks. I'm so indecisive:s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest