The Student Room Group

What do you get mistaken for?

Scroll to see replies

Note how mostly people from majority Islamic countries care about this. Nobody cares if you're an Arab, Pakistani, Egyptian or Turkish. I've literally never seen a French person or a German person care about this, let alone people from the most enlightened countries like Denmark and Norway.

Just grasp the ridiculousness of it - you're arguing from what primate-drawn shape people think you are. Nobody cares.
Chinese, Spanish (?), Malaysian, Taiwan and Arab to name a few.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Indian
Unfortunately nothing...I guess people thought I came from America but that was because of my accent...
Original post by Withengar
Note how mostly people from majority Islamic countries care about this. Nobody cares if you're an Arab, Pakistani, Egyptian or Turkish. I've literally never seen a French person or a German person care about this, let alone people from the most enlightened countries like Denmark and Norway.

Just grasp the ridiculousness of it - you're arguing from what primate-drawn shape people think you are. Nobody cares.

Chill out mate
A 12 year old :frown:
Original post by Mrs.Grey
I get mistaken for being Arab or Afghan which is really flattering but I've been called Indian and Mexican (like how?) before but I'm a British Pakistani, born and raised in England. Hby?

People like to thing i'm a girl on TSR
Reply 27

Note that no one cares. It's supposed to be a bunch of fun so stop being a buzzkill k?
Original post by Saeed9724
Im Yemeni but get mistaken for Egyptian quite a fair bit.

Yeminis have a distinct look about them I've found. Not sure how to describe it :lol:
I've had Egyptian, Syrian, Persian and French (Parisian specifically :lol:)

I'm not even from the Middle East lol
Some people struggle to tell the difference between Chinese and Japanese or just don't care.
Original post by Mahfuz_A
A terrorist

LOL
Original post by Mrs.Grey
Note that no one cares. It's supposed to be a bunch of fun so stop being a buzzkill k?

Yes, haha, such fun! Let's propagate stereotypes based on appearance and other absurd facts. Such joy. Fun for the whole family.

Note how you are the one causing confrontation :smile:
:evilbanana:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lord Samosa
Yeminis have a distinct look about them I've found. Not sure how to describe it :lol:

Yeh but i think my ancestry is more from the Levant (going back a few millennia that is) hence i am slightly more egyptian/shaami looking but i know what look youre on about lol.
Original post by Lord Samosa
Indian, Arab a few times and Brazillian once (yeah idk why either)

Most the time people guess Pakistani and get it right :lol:

Well if you go around calling yourself Lord Samosa its not surprising they get it right. LOL
Original post by FireflyGirl96
Well if you go around calling yourself Lord Samosa its not surprising they get it right. LOL

Well that explains why :tongue:
When I went to Iceland on holiday, the locals thought I was Irish instead of Scottish. Don't know how they could mistake a heavy Glaswegian accent for an Irish one :laugh:
Whenever I go on holiday to somewhere like Spain or France, they think I am their nationality so start speaking to me in the local language even though other people they have seen were spoke to in perfect English.

It might have something to do with the fact I have olive skin because I'm 1/4 German (3/4 English)
I have a slightly more European look? I don't know :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest