The Student Room Group

Ways into medicine?

Does anyone know alternative ways into getting into medical school? .e.g studying abroad/transitioning from a different course etc.
Bump ^^

This is something id like info on as well if anyone can provide information :smile:
Foundation medicine or do graduate entry
Reply 3
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Foundation medicine or do graduate entry

I have no idea what you mean by that haha, im in year 11 btw
Original post by 9091student
I have no idea what you mean by that haha, im in year 11 btw

If you don't have the right subjects at A level or miss a grade you can apply for foundation medicine. You do one year at foundation level and then continue into the usual medicine course. Graduate entry medicine is when you have a degree and you apply to study medicine. It's very competitive though.
Reply 5
Original post by Ladymusiclover
If you don't have the right subjects at A level or miss a grade you can apply for foundation medicine. You do one year at foundation level and then continue into the usual medicine course. Graduate entry medicine is when you have a degree and you apply to study medicine. It's very competitive though.

what sort of grades do you need to stand a good chance?

It depends on the uni as they have all different requirements but at Southampton they accepted grades at BBC. They focused more on the personal statement than getting higher grades than the entry requirements. :smile:
My sister in law's brother did a degree in Politics and he got accepted into medical school (i have no idea how lol...) and now he is a doctor haha
Does anyone know alternative ways into getting into medical school? .e.g studying abroad/transitioning from a different course etc.

As already mentioned, beyond the standard route graduate entry (GEM) and foundation year medicine are the two main ones. Studying abroad is also an option, though not an easy one.

Some medical schools (e.g. St. George's, Exeter) do have transfer programmes that accept a few students from other courses at the same university (biomedical sciences or similar), but the numbers allowed to transfer are generally so low and the tuition fees so high that it's not really worth pursuing this.

If you're in year 11, then any of the options available to you in the UK will require at least AAA at A Level (Keele being a small exception to this in that it accepts A*AB). More importantly, practically everyone applying will have or be on track to have those grades, so a lot comes down to applying strategically and being able to communicate what you learned in your work experience.

More information here, though I can't vouch for its up-to-datedness: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine.
(edited 7 years ago)

Why do you need an alternative way? If you're in year 11 then you can pick the right subjects and work hard for the grades and get in to medicine directly as an undergraduate.

Check out the wiki on here for the basics about applying to medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending