The Student Room Group

College at 22

Hey,

I left school at 16, took a year out to try and decide what I wanted to do, after a year still couldn't find anything I wanted to study and ever since I've just various different jobs.

I'm now 22 and thinking about going back to college to study a level 3 diploma in technical theatre as it's something I am interested in but I'm worried about balancing work and study. I'm 22 now and still live with my parents and currently have a part time job that'd I'd have to quit because they expect me to be fully flexible. The course I want to do is full time and is for 2 years so I'd be done with it when I'm 24. I probably wouldn't be able to have a full time job either if I took this course.

Is it a silly idea for me to take this course especially considering tech theatre is a difficult career to get into? Has anyone else had a similar situation where they had make a decision like this?
Reply 1
I dropped out of college after my first year and then returned 3 years later (I'm 20 and will turn 21 in final year). I had to make the decision to drop out of a full time job also and thus once again be completely reliable on my family & relatives (though I had a few grand in savings to get me through the first year + course fees).

I would say that if it's going to benefit your future and something that you really want to do, then go for it. You could end up kicking yourself in a few year's time for not going back and atm (if you have to pay) fees for 19-24 year olds are cheaper than 24+ so if money's a factor, you'll need to consider that.

My courses don't really have the limited career issue thing as I'm going for uni, but if the course is going to benefit and will help you get the career then you want then honestly go for it. It only gets more difficult to get back into education with age and we don't live forever.
Reply 2
Original post by Inexorably
I dropped out of college after my first year and then returned 3 years later (I'm 20 and will turn 21 in final year). I had to make the decision to drop out of a full time job also and thus once again be completely reliable on my family & relatives (though I had a few grand in savings to get me through the first year + course fees).

I would say that if it's going to benefit your future and something that you really want to do, then go for it. You could end up kicking yourself in a few year's time for not going back and atm (if you have to pay) fees for 19-24 year olds are cheaper than 24+ so if money's a factor, you'll need to consider that.

My courses don't really have the limited career issue thing as I'm going for uni, but if the course is going to benefit and will help you get the career then you want then honestly go for it. It only gets more difficult to get back into education with age and we don't live forever.

Well as it'd be my first level 3 qualification and I'm under 25 I wouldn't have to pay any course fees so that isn't an issue really.

I'm not sure if it will benefit me in the future but I mean if I do apply for a job in technical theatre then it would be better to have SOME sort of qualification I suppose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending