The Student Room Group

Hair loss.

Basically I'm a girl, age 15, and I starting losing a LOT of hair, and I went to doc and he sent me for a blood test and it came back saying I have Iron Deficiency right. & I've been having my tabs 2 a day for about 4 months, and the doc said he would review em after 3, but anyway my hair loss is worse, when I let my hair out, I have about 2-3 handfuls of hair on my elastic. What should I do? Help please.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
dont put ur hair up, dont excessivly (yes its spelt wrong) wash it, dont use heat on it, let it dry naturally, dont over brush it
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Basically I'm a girl, age 15, and I starting losing a LOT of hair, and I went to doc and he sent me for a blood test and it came back saying I have Iron Deficiency right. & I've been having my tabs 2 a day for about 4 months, and the doc said he would review em after 3, but anyway my hair loss is worse, when I let my hair out, I have about 2-3 handfuls of hair on my elastic. What should I do? Help please.

This might be difficult, but shower in cold water. Hot water can cause hair loss. Another thing is putting lemon juice in you hair. It gets rid of dandruff and makes your hair stronger.
Reply 3
Original post by Bob's Your Uncle
This might be difficult, but shower in cold water. Hot water can cause hair loss. Another thing is putting lemon juice in you hair. It gets rid of dandruff and makes your hair stronger.

Thank Youu, I'll check that out :smile: I'm really insecure about my hair now :frown:
Thank Youu, I'll check that out :smile: I'm really insecure about my hair now :frown:

I hope it works, it did work for my cousin
Reply 5
Original post by shawtyb
dont put ur hair up, dont excessivly (yes its spelt wrong) wash it, dont use heat on it, let it dry naturally, dont over brush it

I don't really put it up, only sometimes for school, put not at home, out, or sometimes in school either. I wash it twice a week :frown: I hairdry it cuz it's thick and takes hours to dry. :frown: But thank you for the advice! Appreciate it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Bob's Your Uncle
I hope it works, it did work for my cousin

Thank you, and that's good :smile:
Reply 7
I don't really put it up, only sometimes for school, put not at home, out, or sometimes in school either. I wash it twice a week :frown: I hairdry it cuz it's thick and takes hours to dry. :frown: But thank you for the advice! Appreciate it :smile:

im suffring with the same but for different reasons, to the point my hair was thinning.
iv had numerous tests all come back clear and it was eventually put down to pregnancy (i have have medicated fungal shampoo just to rule it out...i dont have fungal infections)
its now started improving and it had been going on since november
Thank you, and that's good :smile:

You're welcome
Reply 9
Original post by shawtyb
im suffring with the same but for different reasons, to the point my hair was thinning.
iv had numerous tests all come back clear and it was eventually put down to pregnancy (i have have medicated fungal shampoo just to rule it out...i dont have fungal infections)
its now started improving and it had been going on since november

Mine started around last yr december/early january. & Mine is also very thin near the front of my scalp. I was declared to have iron deficiency but the doc said they should improve after 3 months, but it's been around 4 months but it is just getting worse. :frown:
Mine started around last yr december/early january. & Mine is also very thin near the front of my scalp. I was declared to have iron deficiency but the doc said they should improve after 3 months, but it's been around 4 months but it is just getting worse. :frown:

go back :smile: might be a thyroid problem
Original post by shawtyb
go back :smile: might be a thyroid problem

Thank Youu! I will do, thank you so so much :smile:
same for me too, i dont have an iron deficiency (or at least i dont think i have) but my hair falls out very frequently. im not sure if you're doing any exams atm but maybe stress is adding onto the reasons your hair is falling out so much?

Hey, this happened to me too, and, sorry, it's a personal question, but do you suffer from any sort of eating disorder? Because, I went through an anorexia phase, and my hair was falling out in clumps. Obviously, it may not be anorexia, it can just be lack of the right nutrition.

If you're non vegetarian, eat meat and fish, make it a daily thing.

If you're vegetarian or vegan, eat things like lentils, broccoli, anything with protein in it. It's protein deficiency 90% of the time.

If you start eating healthy, it'll grow back as thick and wild (and annoying) as it was before, I speak from personal experience.

Also, this is a very very weird tip, but this worked for me, even without me fixing my diet, and that's putting an egg mask on my hair. It's an ancient remedy, and, if you shampoo afterwards, it grows strong and, there's no eggy smell at all, just make sure to shampoo properly.

Another one is oil, olive or coconut will do. Works wonders, but not as good as the egg mask though.

All my grandma's remedies, but they work. :-)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by melisss22
same for me too, i dont have an iron deficiency (or at least i dont think i have) but my hair falls out very frequently. im not sure if you're doing any exams atm but maybe stress is adding onto the reasons your hair is falling out so much?

I really don't know, but earlier today I took my boble off my hair and about 2 handfuls came along and I put my hand through my hair and this MASSIVE lump just fell through onto my hand. :frown:
Original post by fandom-queen
Hey, this happened to me too, and, sorry, it's a personal question, but do you suffer from any sort of eating disorder? Because, I went through an anorexia phase, and my hair was falling out in clumps. Obviously, it may not be anorexia, it can just be lack of the right nutrition.

If you're vegetarian or vegan, eat things like lentils, broccoli, anything with protein in it. It's protein deficiency 90% of the time.

If you start eating healthy, it'll grow back as thick and wild (and annoying) as it was before, I speak from personal experience.

No, I don't have an eating disorder of any type. I eat fish and meat on a regular basis and I have lentils and stuff like that. I honestly hate brocolli but I have cauliflower. Thank you for the advice tho :smile:
No, I don't have an eating disorder of any type. I eat fish and meat on a regular basis and I have lentils and stuff like that. I honestly hate brocolli but I have cauliflower. Thank you for the advice tho :smile:

I edited my post a bit, and added some stuff. Check it out?
I edited my post a bit, and added some stuff. Check it out?

Ohh Ok :smile:

Also, this is a very very weird tip, but this worked for me, even without me fixing my diet, and that's putting an egg mask on my hair. It's an ancient remedy, and, if you shampoo afterwards, it grows strong and, there's no eggy smell at all, just make sure to shampoo properly.

Another one is oil, olive or coconut will do. Works wonders, but not as good as the egg mask though.

All my grandma's remedies, but they work. :-)

Sure I will doo and Thank youu :smile: Your grandma is one clever lady :tongue: & I've also heard of a shampoo or foam of some sort called Regain, do you have any thoughts? :smile:
I really don't know, but earlier today I took my boble off my hair and about 2 handfuls came along and I put my hand through my hair and this MASSIVE lump just fell through onto my hand. :frown:

oh my :eek: you should probably go to the doctors again in the near future, it may be something other than having an iron deficiency :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending