The Student Room Group

Gcse resistant materials 2016 exam aqa

Please tell me someone is doing this. Need help for section A.
I'm doing the exam. What do you need help with?
Reply 2
Original post by sammychu00
I'm doing the exam. What do you need help with?

I thought this thread was dead.....
I need Ideas for the Section A and how to revise and how are you consolidating your revision?
For section A, we were told to design garden aids such as raised flower beds or garden kneelers because my teacher said it was unlikely that they would ask about tools, but maybe have one or two tools just in case.

To revise, we practised past paper questions and most of the papers ask pretty much the same questions each year so I think you should go through all the past papers so you know what kinda questions to expect. Also look through the mark scheme because the design questions in section B require pretty much the same answer each year.

A lot of the exam is common sense so I wouldn't bother revising too much since the exam is only 40%. That being said, I would probably look over any topics you don't understand so at least you have a general idea of what to write.

Feel free to ask anymore questions and good luck for your exams!
For section A, we were told to design garden aids such as raised flower beds or garden kneelers because my teacher said it was unlikely that they would ask about tools, but maybe have one or two tools just in case.

To revise, we practised past paper questions and most of the papers ask pretty much the same questions each year so I think you should go through all the past papers so you know what kinda questions to expect. Also look through the mark scheme because the design questions in section B require pretty much the same answer each year.

A lot of the exam is common sense so I wouldn't bother revising too much since the exam is only 40%. That being said, I would probably look over any topics you don't understand so at least you have a general idea of what to write.

Feel free to ask anymore questions and good luck for your exams!

Hey you know for part of it you have to design some gardening tools, could you give a range of materials or finishes you could use and possibly how to join them? That's the part I'm most stuck at :smile: xx thanks
Original post by abc_123_
Hey you know for part of it you have to design some gardening tools, could you give a range of materials or finishes you could use and possibly how to join them? That's the part I'm most stuck at :smile: xx thanks

Metals = stainless steel, mild steel
Plastics = HDPE, ABS, PP (add more plasticiser to make it more rubbery)
Woods = teak, pine
Finishes = coating for metals, plastics are self finishing, varnish
Joinings = welding, threading, casting

Feel free to ask if anything doesn't make sense
(edited 7 years ago)
Metals = stainless steel, mild steel
Plastics = HDPE, ABS, PP (add more plasticiser to make it more rubbery)
Woods = teak, pine
Finishes = coating for metals, plastics are self finishing, varnish
Joinings = welding, threading, casting

Feel free to ask if anything doesn't make sense

Thank you :smile: xxx how are you revising for Section A? Also what is threading? Xxx
Thank you :smile: xxx how are you revising for Section A? Also what is threading? Xxx

Threading is where you put the grooves in a piece of metal so it can be screwed into something else. For example, you would thread the rod at the end of a spade so it can be screwed into a handle.

I don't think section A requires too much revision but I have drawn out my 5 designs and developed one of them. The day before the exam I will probably practice drawing the designs in a timed situation so I know how long to spend on each design.
Threading is where you put the grooves in a piece of metal so it can be screwed into something else. For example, you would thread the rod at the end of a spade so it can be screwed into a handle.

I don't think section A requires too much revision but I have drawn out my 5 designs and developed one of them. The day before the exam I will probably practice drawing the designs in a timed situation so I know how long to spend on each design.

Okay thank you :smile: xx good luck
Reply 9

Wow, I shall be doing that this week :redface:

I'm very confident with the theory, just not designing (Sad times).
Original post by Bulletzone
Wow, I shall be doing that this week :redface:

I'm very confident with the theory, just not designing (Sad times).

What type of stuff do we need to know for theory? I'm way better at the designing xxx
What type of stuff do we need to know for theory? I'm way better at the designing xxx

Theory....Take a look at the Specification :biggrin: You need to know quite alot of Key detail.

The thing is with theory, the questions are pretty much the same (almost) every year....The Designing is dreadful as I'm not of Artistic nature.
Theory....Take a look at the Specification :biggrin: You need to know quite alot of Key detail.

The thing is with theory, the questions are pretty much the same (almost) every year....The Designing is dreadful as I'm not of Artistic nature.

Oh okay thanks :smile: xx I guess I'll do some past papers and check the spec now :biggrin: xx
Good luck x
Oh okay thanks :smile: xx I guess I'll do some past papers and check the spec now :biggrin: xx

Good Luck,
Word of Advice: Know all the Nitty-Gritty Details.....(You'll thank me later).
Good Luck,
Word of Advice: Know all the Nitty-Gritty Details.....(You'll thank me later).

What are the nitty gritty details? Xx
What are the nitty gritty details? Xx

For example, Learn every single minor thing in the book.

I saw in a Past paper (June 2013), the requirement to know all the different type of Plastics to answer the question, surprised by this I checked up how other student's found it on the examiner's report and I quote: "Candidates had difficulty matching the the given plastics (polymers) with their correctcategories".

i.e Make sure you understand like everything, who knows AQA may probably ask up to name all the types of Drill bits....

Quick Reply

Latest