The Student Room Group

why do people think this about veganism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MotorboatMyGoat
Why should we? When you support the industry that shoves a knife down animals throats?

:s actually becoming a vegetarian soon. Doubt I will become a vegan, my body my mouth, I will do what I want, not what a random vegan online wants me to do, thank you.
I appriciate you convicing me to become a vegan, not happening though, sorry.
Original post by loveleest
You clearly do understand the sufferring if you think its as bad as killing/raping someone... You came up with an entire argument why you believe it's wrong to eat meat. I find it hard to takenin that you still eat meat.

Again, my personal beliefs and actions have no bearing on the argument itself. I will readily admit vegans are more morally consistent than me.

Not that it's relevant to the actual arguments, but yes, I've reduced meat in my diet. Over the new few months, hopefully I'll make a complete switch to vegetarianism.
:s actually becoming a vegetarian soon. Doubt I will become a vegan, my body my mouth, I will do what I want, not what a random vegan online wants me to do, thank you.
I appriciate you convicing me to become a vegan, not happening though, sorry.

It's a shame that the animals you pay slaughterers to torture, rape and mutilate don't have the same choice or a say in their own lives
But has a whole healthier foods are more expensive. Maybe people want to put their money on other focuses rather than food...

I don'tthink the vegan diet is for everyone. Why can't you vegans just leave prople to eat whatever they want? Stop shoving your diet down people's throat.

Because buying animal products allows billions of animals to be totured and murdered; we don't think about this because we have been brought up that way. You could live on a diet of oreos and skittles (both vegan) and no one would give a **** because you wouldn't be hurting any animals.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by studentjjs
It's a shame that the animals you pay slaughterers to torture, rape and mutilate don't have the same choice or a say in their own lives

Rape?????
LOL you vegans come up with interesting things dont you :smile:
Rape?????
LOL you vegans come up with interesting things dont you :smile:

Cows are raped yes

http://www.humanemyth.org/happycows.htm

The industry is messed up :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
But has a whole healthier foods are more expensive. Maybe people want to put their money on other focuses rather than food...

I don'tthink the vegan diet is for everyone. Why can't you vegans just leave prople to eat whatever they want? Stop shoving your diet down people's throat.

And another thing: if wasn't for those 'pushy' vegans I wouldn't have done any research on the topic and wouldn't have started eating a plant based diet so I wouldn't have lost weight and cleared up my acne; I am forever greatful for those 'pushy' vegans on YT
Original post by Justmoll28
that veganism is 'hard' or 'too expensive' or 'too time consuming'

it baffles me..i want to know why people think this?

I've wanted to become a vegan for some time now...do you ever crave for foods such as ice cream or pizza or do you eat the vegan type?
Original post by hafsa473
I've wanted to become a vegan for some time now...do you ever crave for foods such as ice cream or pizza or do you eat the vegan type?

Ben & Jerrys ice cream now have a vegan range! There are a lot other vegan ice creams too. I'm still not fully vegan but I have stopped craving pizza after eating it several times a week for years. Cheese just grosses me out now
Original post by fannehh
Ben & Jerrys ice cream now have a vegan range! There are a lot other vegan ice creams too. I'm still not fully vegan but I have stopped craving pizza after eating it several times a week for years. Cheese just grosses me out now

What do you have for breakfast?
Jesus Christ. They are not ridiculous analogies. Stop using more pathetic excuses to turn down veganism just because people say titties instead of udders. Grow up

"Factually incorrect nonsense"
I didn't say they were facts, I said they were analogies. Why don't you talk about the facts I brought up about animal agriculture being the biggest contributor to species extinction and green house gas emissions.

Yes they are ridiculous analogies.

And you have failed yet again to answer 2 very simple questions I have put forward to you.

Why do you need to use these analogies if your points are valid?

Why do you have to anthropomorphise animals to get your point across?

You have said a couple of things on here that are factually incorrect such as "it's unnatural to drink milk" for one that is an appeal to nature:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature

Which is a very uneducated way of debating your point and makes you look quite ignorant.

And humans themselves are natural, so anything we do is by definition natural.

You'll also notice (or ignore) that in my first response to you I very clearly stated a agree with a lot of the points vegans make such as deforestation. I very clearly stated my qualm was with people like you and others like you making ridiculous claims and anthropomorphising that which does not need to be.

Though I'm sure yet again you will ignore this just to call everything I say pathetic without actually considering what has been put forward to you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hafsa473
What do you have for breakfast?

Oatmeal made with soy milk and maple syrup; sometimes i sprinkle some cinnamon and have it with either a banana or apple. Sometimes I have 2/3 pieces of toast with apricot Jam. Or I just have a load of fruit like 2/3 oranges and a few peaches e.t.c My mum makes me vegan banana pancakes sometimes too :smile:
Original post by shawtyb
my ex was allergic to egg to the point he would need an epi-pen if he ate it.
starbursts have egg in it

Non of his intolerances are actually allergies. But he is also intolerant to eggs and dairy.

He's a celiac and did not realise for a long time, as such he has quite the damaged small intestine (celiac is an autoimmune disorder that leads to damage of the small intestine if gluten is eaten) so he has quite a lot of absorption issues and need to eat a lot just to stay his weight.

Thanks for your reply, again. Firstly, as I said, lacto-vegetarianism isn't more expensive at all, and cuts out a lot of suffering (if you're going vegetarian, that's good to hear).

The extra cost due to veganism, for me, comes from the fact that I buy soy milk instead of regular milk. This costs me 80p more per shopping trip. I also buy Vitamin B12 supplements once in a while, which amounts to hardly anything per day.

Legumes (chickpeas, lentils, kidney beans), quinoa, soya mince, Quorn's vegan burgers, and so on, are all less expensive than meat, and last for much longer.

A vegan diet can be for anyone who has a household income of at least £14,000 per year: I know this from personal experience. This is an open thread in the "debate" section of The Student Room, and I'm not saying that people should either be vegan or they're terrible people - again, lacto-vegetarianism does a lot of good, and does reducing the amount of meat you eat.

If you don't want your views to be challenged, don't participate in the thread. In person, I never bring veganism up unless a meat-eater brings it up, or if I have to refuse to have something containing animal bodies or their by-products. But, as I say, this is a thread in the "debate" section, so I'm debating.
Original post by SophieSmall
Yes they are ridiculous analogies.

And you have failed yet again to answer 2 very simple questions I have put forward to you.

Why do you need to use these analogies if your points are valid?

Why do you have to anthropomorphise animals to get your point across?

You have said a couple of things on here that are factually incorrect such as "it's unnatural to drink milk" for one that is an appeal to nature:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature

Which is a very uneducated way of debating your point and makes you look quite ignorant.

And humans themselves are natural, so anything we do is by definition natural.

You'll also notice (or ignore) that in my first response to you I very clearly stated a agree with a lot of the points vegans make such as deforestation. I very clearly stated my qualm was with people like you and others like you making ridiculous claims and anthropomorphising that which does not need to be.

Though I'm sure yet again you will ignore this just to call everything I say pathetic without actually considering what has been put forward to you.

There's no point in arguing, I think they are good anologies, you don't. "Corpse flesh" and "period" help make ppl make the connection to what they are actually eating.

Don't change my words, "I said it's unnatural to drink another species milk" that is not an appeal to nature fallacy. I didn't bring up what is natural and what isn't. Someone used that argument to eat meat, and I simply stated how is it natural to drink another species milk.
There's no point in arguing, I think they are good anologies, you don't. "Corpse flesh" and "period" help make ppl make the connection to what they are actually eating.

Don't change my words, "I said it's unnatural to drink another species milk" that is not an appeal to nature fallacy. I didn't bring up what is natural and what isn't. Someone used that argument to eat meat, and I simply stated how is it natural to drink another species milk.

...haha okay. Sure. Contradicted yourself there but okay.
...haha okay. Sure. Contradicted yourself there but okay.

What I said was correct. I didn't bring it up, someone else did..
Original post by studentjjs
Vegans are weird? Yet animal-eaters like to eat cow pus filled milk that is biologically designed for cattle (believe it or not) with mammal growing hormones, eat the decomposing corpse flesh of tortured bird and other livestock pumped full of harmful antibiotics with microscopic fecal matter, pesticides to prevent it from rotting in a plastic bag, and chicken periods (eggs) by paying people to slaughter and rape animals to eat, but vegans who eat fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds and drink milk made from almonds and other vegan produce are weird? We are herbivorous beings, but it's strange to think what you consider as 'weird'.

Protip: read what I said before replying
What I said was correct. I didn't bring it up, someone else did..

lol, keep telling yourself that mate.
lol, keep telling yourself that mate.

You can scroll back and see I didn't bring it up first Jesus Christ.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending