The Student Room Group

HELP, whats my next step?

I have been in full time employment since i left school last year, this was mainly because i wasn't 100% sure what i wanted to do at uni and beyond. Originally the plan was to work my way up through the company and i was given time off my last year of school to go to all of the seminars and programs i was put on in order to progress. Now, I really don't like where i work and they have gone back on all of their promises and basically used and exploited me (me keen to impress, they need someone to do all of the crap jobs and shifts then promising to help me progress and offering me things which they are unable to produce...you know the usual) Now the problem i have is that i have finally figured out what i want to do. For my A Levels i did German in which i came out with an E grade, despite this i really enjoyed it and wish to continue this further and hopefully go to uni and do translation or be able to teach in Germany or Austria.

However, where do i go from here? I am unable to get into uni with these grades and cannot resit these exams as i have been left too long. What is the best way for me to be able to get to where i want to be? Any kind of nightschool or online school? I know i may be dreaming a bit big here but thats my goal and am able and willing to do anything to get here. Can anybody offer me any advice or help. Sorry this is a very long post and any help would be muchly appreciated :smile:
Original post by EvilMonkey458
I have been in full time employment since i left school last year, this was mainly because i wasn't 100% sure what i wanted to do at uni and beyond. Originally the plan was to work my way up through the company and i was given time off my last year of school to go to all of the seminars and programs i was put on in order to progress. Now, I really don't like where i work and they have gone back on all of their promises and basically used and exploited me (me keen to impress, they need someone to do all of the crap jobs and shifts then promising to help me progress and offering me things which they are unable to produce...you know the usual) Now the problem i have is that i have finally figured out what i want to do. For my A Levels i did German in which i came out with an E grade, despite this i really enjoyed it and wish to continue this further and hopefully go to uni and do translation or be able to teach in Germany or Austria.

However, where do i go from here? I am unable to get into uni with these grades and cannot resit these exams as i have been left too long. What is the best way for me to be able to get to where i want to be? Any kind of nightschool or online school? I know i may be dreaming a bit big here but thats my goal and am able and willing to do anything to get here. Can anybody offer me any advice or help. Sorry this is a very long post and any help would be muchly appreciated :smile:

Clearly you need to improve your German grade. Have you checked local colleges?

What other A-levels do you have?
Original post by ageshallnot
Clearly you need to improve your German grade. Have you checked local colleges?

What other A-levels do you have?

I got a B in Media Studies and a C in History. I am currently searching local colleges but coming up empty at the moment..
(edited 7 years ago)
I got a B in Media Studies and a C in History. I am currently searching local colleges but coming up empty at the moment..

Self-teaching might be another option.
Original post by ageshallnot
Self-teaching might be another option.

Like through the OU?!
Like through the OU?!

The OU do offer a few modules in German, but I don't know whether you can take them outside of a degree. You would need to ask them.

I was actually meaning finding an exam centre which would allow you to resit your German A-level, and then doing the work yourself without any teaching. This would involve getting hold of the syllabus and textbooks, plus using various online resources.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending