The Student Room Group

why do people think this about veganism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serine Soul
Compared to 6 pints cow milk for £1.50? Every penny counts

Where I'm from, people would kill for that.
why is it vegans are usually so annoying and have this narcissistic or holier-than-thou attitude yet vegetarians don't?

vegans are like... radicalised vegetarians.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
why is it vegans are usually so annoying and have this narcissistic or holier-than-thou attitude yet vegetarians don't?

I'm sorry you think that/have experiences of that. I have never encountered a vegan in real life who is pushy and annoying. In fact, I've regularly been friends with people for a long time before finding out they are vegan/transitioned to veganism. This equally applies to vegetarian friends/pescetarian friends.

Unfortunately, these cool people who keep their dietary and lifestyle choices to themselves often are interrogated/judged/laughed at at social gatherings just for being themselves. It's a really sad state of affairs when the stereotype is so bad that people propagate hatred towards any vegan they encounter.

However, I can understand that those who take strong offence to meat-eating will be far more vocal about their opinions in public/on social media, so you are likely to be far more aware of their presence, similarly to people who are aggressively political. I can pretty much guarantee to you that you will have met multiple vegan people in day to day life and you won't even be aware of their ethical choices.
Original post by fannehh
Because buying animal products allows billions of animals to be totured and murdered; we don't think about this because we have been brought up that way. You could live on a diet of oreos and skittles (both vegan) and no one would give a **** because you wouldn't be hurting anyone.

Animals of a different species are not human...
(edited 7 years ago)
Looks too hard for me. :redface:
Original post by DD12790
I'm sorry you think that/have experiences of that. I have never encountered a vegan in real life who is pushy and annoying. In fact, I've regularly been friends with people for a long time before finding out they are vegan/transitioned to veganism. This equally applies to vegetarian friends/pescetarian friends.

Unfortunately, these cool people who keep their dietary and lifestyle choices to themselves often are interrogated/judged/laughed at at social gatherings just for being themselves. It's a really sad state of affairs when the stereotype is so bad that people propagate hatred towards any vegan they encounter.

However, I can understand that those who take strong offence to meat-eating will be far more vocal about their opinions in public/on social media, so you are likely to be far more aware of their presence, similarly to people who are aggressively political. I can pretty much guarantee to you that you will have met multiple vegan people in day to day life and you won't even be aware of their ethical choices.

i have several vegan and vegetarian friends. my vegan friends are very nice and cool people, until they feel the need to bring up veganism (which is often). the same isn't true for vegetarians, in fact i have never seen vegetarians start arguments with non-vegetarians. vegans treat veganism like some weird cult/religion and always feel the need to argue with people about their diets. like its just food wtf do u care what everyone eats? just eat what u want and stop preaching to everyone about it.
Original post by Konahagakure
Animals of a different species are not human...

You are correct. Changed 'anyone' to 'any animals'
Original post by Imperion
Where I'm from, people would kill for that.

All down to our wonderful farmers :-)
i have several vegan and vegetarian friends. my vegan friends are very nice and cool people, until they feel the need to bring up veganism (which is often). the same isn't true for vegetarians, in fact i have never seen vegetarians start arguments with non-vegetarians. vegans treat veganism like some weird cult/religion and always feel the need to argue with people about their diets. like its just food wtf do u care what everyone eats? just eat what u want and stop preaching to everyone about it.

See that's the exact problem it's not "just food", they're living animals
I went vegan last October and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I believed it'd be all those points you stated, but it's actually been no more time consuming than before, and it's actually cheaper lmao. I also feel ten times better. I eat chocolate, biscuits, ice cream etc just without eggs and dairy so I never actually feel like I'm missing out at all. People have such weird ideas about veganism, and most of them aren't even true lmao
Original post by Justmoll28
that veganism is 'hard' or 'too expensive' or 'too time consuming'

it baffles me..i want to know why people think this?

I would like to contribute my opinion, however popular/valide it may be.

The majority of people will look at veganism and see a lifestyle that is extremely different from their own, from the lives of their loved ones and will see a significant amount of struggle and upheaval. I would liken it to an extremely unhealthy person comparing their lifestyle with that of somebody who exercises twice a day, and tracks all of their macro/micronutrients. I would like to note that this is just an example and I would never judge anybody based on their lifestyle, but you can see why people would see something as unobtainable/unnecessary/too much effort etc.

The reality is that the vast majority of people will have grown up living a certain lifestyle and will find it extremely difficult to take initial steps to change that.

Again, the too expensive and too time consuming arguments are all relative. When you consider veganism, you will usually see people in social media who purchase all organic foods, or expensive meat and cheese and dairy replacements, who make all of their meals from scratch. For anybody who already does this, veganism is likely to be no more time consuming, or expensive. But this is the unobtainable-for-many ideal.

And quite frankly, if people are happy with their lifestyle, and have no interest in delving into self-reflection and a rather intense journey of discovery, that is the opinion they will likely have of veganism until they come across people who break those stereotypes.

In addition, for the people who have been arguing about the expense of veganism, and the time-consuming element, it is again, entirely relative. I live on an incredibly low student budget, and save considerable amounts of money in not buying meat and cheese, or any meat and cheese substitutes. My grocery shopping is substantially cheaper and a £40 shop will now last me two weeks, without going to the shops again. This also takes into account the fact I am incredibly lazy and enjoy buying microwaveable rice, pre-diced butternut squash etc, and have a nasty soy ice cream and popcorn habit. Out of all of my housemates, I am the one who spends the least time in the kitchen cooking and washing up, especially seeing as I never have to prepare meat, use separate chopping boards etc. I also get at least 5 fruits and veg every day, if not way more, which is far more than I ever got before. I now spend significantly less money on food, like to think I am far healthier and am getting substantially more nutrients, and get to be more lazy. But, again, this will always vary from person to person.

With all this said, this thread has been subject to some really nasty communication between people, and I really hope this isn't how you interact with your peers in real life!

EDIT: I focused on the dietary, because that has been the focus of the thread. But non-leather products are always cheaper too, which is a great way to save money and help the planet!
(edited 7 years ago)

Maybe if you did enough research as to why vegans go vegan (watch Earthlings, Knives over forks e.t.c) You'd realise why it's not 'just food' and perhaps understand why it's so hard to keep quiet about it.

Like I said previously, I'm really sorry you've experienced that. It might be partially down to be being surrounded by liberal people, who are generally very mature and relaxed but that's not something I have ever experienced in real life. I feel that pushy people will always find something to be pushy about, and non-pushy people will generally mind their own business. I've never told anybody about my dietary choices unless I've had to, and some people are cool with it, and others (my parents and housemates for example) will resort to interrogating me, foisting their beliefs upon me and criticizing me for the way I choose to live, because they are pushy and critical people.

Hopefully, one day, you will meet some vegan people who will change your mind about vegan people in general!
Monstrosities don't last forever, they may last for a very long time but they dont last forever - like Gary yourofsky said: "It took 400 years for white people to not own black people" likewise it won't be forever we abuse, destroy and exploit animals and we can all share the earth we all have the right to live on
Original post by BasingstokeBoy
A 2 month old baby walking would be unnatural in itself

I never said walking - could be bum-shuffling; might not be if they lived of plants...

Plus, that's what a true carnivore would be like - lions, tigers etc. Look at yourself; do you look like a lion? No?

So you're not a lion, you have never been out hunting like a true "animal" in your life and you call yourself a meat eater?

You, sir, are the most unnatural and pathetic carnivore there is in terms of calling yourself a carnivore :biggrin:
I think they are right, the meat and dairy industry are ****ed
I don't want to give up meat though. Yes, it is bad that I am supporting it but I don't claim to be a saint
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by eve_4342
I never said walking - could be bum-shuffling; might not be if they lived of plants...

Plus, that's what a true carnivore would be like - lions, tigers etc. Look at yourself; do you look like a lion? No?

So you're not a lion, you have never been out hunting like a true "animal" in your life and you call yourself a meat eater?

You, sir, are the most unnatural and pathetic carnivore there is in terms of calling yourself a carnivore :biggrin:

I'm not a carnivore, I'm an omnivore. I eat the food available to me.
Reply 257
Just thought I’d weigh in as a vet student who grew up on a dairy farm.

Vegans like to throw around a lot of propaganda about how dairy and meat animals are treated and I must say that most of the “facts” they spew are simply nonsense. The UK has very high welfare standards, both on farm and in abattoirs with animal cruelty being treated very seriously. I’m not saying welfare is perfect as there is definitely room for improvement but compared with a lot of other countries the UK is leaps and bounds ahead. As with any industry there are a few rotten eggs who give a bad name to the rest but most farmers treat their animals very well.

Of course everyone is entitled to choose to eat what they’d prefer but trying to persuade others with lies is simply wrong. It is funny how most vegans who think farming is cruel have never actually set foot on a farm and get most of their information from PETA or vegan propaganda sources…..

Just a side note to something that really annoys me. There is no rape on dairy farms, bovine species typically have one calf a year and artificial insemination is used as bulls are often far too dangerous. If any of you have a seen a cow on heat you'd know they run around all day mounting everything that moves and will go to great lengths to get in with a bull if one is in the vicinity.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MotorboatMyGoat
See that's the exact problem it's not "just food", they're living animals

and it begins

you should probably hate carnivorous animals then as they eat other animals how immoral of them.
(edited 7 years ago)

vegans are like... radicalised vegetarians.

not every vegan is like that..

Quick Reply

Latest