The Student Room Group

AQA AS GOVP1 Question Predictions?

I know GovP1 isn't until June 6th but has anyone got any ideas what the questions might be on based on previous exams etc? Having a nightmare revising politics right now!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I almost know for certain there'll be a question on the EU but I don't know what unit it'll be in... It could apply to all
Original post by Jack_Joff
I know GovP1 isn't until June 6th but has anyone got any ideas what the questions might be on based on previous exams etc? Having a nightmare revising politics right now!

The Jan 2011 Unit 1 paper had a 25 marker in the 'Participation and Voting Behaviour' about evaluating the main reasons for the 2010 General Election results. My teacher believes that this pattern will continue this year and therefore there will be a question on the 2015 GE. (There have been no Jan papers for AQA politics since 2013 btw so it is a possibility that a 2015 GE question may be in the forthcoming paper).

Original post by kokoro_
I almost know for certain there'll be a question on the EU but I don't know what unit it'll be in... It could apply to all

It's unlikely there will be a question specifically on the EU referendum (although there was a question specifically on the 2010 GE in the 2011 paper, it was in the 2011 paper no the 2010 paper; it is unlikely that there would be a question on such a recent event without time for all the events to fully develop; it is unlikely anyway that a q on the EU referendum will crop up in following exams as I don't believe there is enough to discuss about the referendum that is also compatible w/ the syllabus). If there is going to be a question on the EU - in general, i.e. not just the upcoming referendum - it will most likely by in topic 4 of unit 2: the one on supranational and local governance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Pressure groups - good for democracy?

And for voting behaviour hopefully 2015 general election results
ALTHOUGH last year's was something similar so maybe not???
Reply 4
The only figure I know for the 2015 GE is 66% turnout so if you guys are right I better go and learn that stuff!
(edited 7 years ago)
Referendum's are a 100% cert to come up either as a 5 or 10 marker. The general election won't come up much more likely to be participation. ams is also likely
my textbook has nothing about 2015 election only 2010, so i dot know what i need to know about it
Original post by Sademajek
my textbook has nothing about 2015 election only 2010, so i dot know what i need to know about it

I think just voting patterns, and stuff about the impact of the media etc
https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3575/How-Britain-voted-in-2015.aspx?view=wide
this should be helpful
Original post by BirdIsWord
I think just voting patterns, and stuff about the impact of the media etc
https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3575/How-Britain-voted-in-2015.aspx?view=wide
this should be helpful

Thanks a bunch!!
Here's the mark scheme for the 2011 Jan paper (the one w/ the question about evaluating the main factors that determined the outcome of the May 2010 General Election). This should give you an idea of what the examiner expects should a question on the 2015 GE comes up.

http://www.tamhistory.com/uploads/2/6/3/6/26363460/_gov1_markscheme_january_2011.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
How would some answer these 2 question, could you please answer them in full detail as the mark scheme is vague.

Using your own knowledge as well as the extract, identify and explain two factors that might help to account for the decline in traditional forms of participation.

Voting behaviour at UK elections is determined more by issues of personality and image than on the basis of policies or performance in office.’ Discuss

Please freaking out!!!
Original post by rebirth61213
Here's the mark scheme for the 2011 Jan paper (the one w/ the question about evaluating the main factors that determined the outcome of the May 2010 General Election). This should give you an idea of what the examiner expects should a question on the 2015 GE comes up.

http://www.tamhistory.com/uploads/2/6/3/6/26363460/_gov1_markscheme_january_2011.pdf

'Candidates may also identify the bias inherent in the operation of thefirst-past-the-post electoral system as a factor that had a bearing on the outcome of the 2010General Election'
So we'd only talk about this if the question asked about the OUTCOME of the election? Not voting behaviour election?
Or is it saying what affects the FPTP system has on voting behavour in general elections?
How would some answer these 2 question, could you please answer them in full detail as the mark scheme is vague.

Using your own knowledge as well as the extract, identify and explain two factors that might help to account for the decline in traditional forms of participation.

Voting behaviour at UK elections is determined more by issues of personality and image than on the basis of policies or performance in office.’ Discuss

Please freaking out!!!

Two factors
-Rise of pressure groups and social movements
-Both parties moving towards the centre

What don't you understand about the 25 marker?? It's really straightforward imo

Image has always been important, especially with intro of televised debates which has increased the need for more presidential candidates.
1983 Michael foot appeared scruffy etc compared to the sharply dressed thatcher. Hence lost election.
2010, Cleggmania.. 21% said the debates would change how they voted(Ipsos Mori) However Cleggmania failed to translate to seats for LDs

Blair was presidential, well dressed, good communicator and had a beautiful family
Ed Milliband attacked by the right media on stuff like the bacon sandwich thing, portraying him as not presidential enough. Similar thing for Gordon Brown
Contrast him to Cameron who's always appeared sharp

So leader image definitely important.

Policies is important too,
1983 labour manifesto described at the 'longest suicide in history'- BAD
Blair and New Labour dropping clause 4 from manifesto moved labour to centre
Cameron has been praised for changing his stance on social environmental policies, to reverse the image of the Conservatives being the 'nasty party' eg Gay Marriage.

For performance there are two good quotes for this
"Its the economy, stupid"
"Opponents dont win elections, Governments lose them'

E.g ERM Crisis(1993?) contributed to the conservatives losing in 1997
Labour government blamed for recession due to excess expenditure, debt too big.
Cameron viewed as more competent with the economy, always talked of his 'long term economic plan'.

PARTISAN DE-ALIGNMENT HAS MADE THESE RECENCY FACTORS MORE IMPORTANT

Then you go on to evaluate the long term factors, the Sociological voting model.
Class voting still prevalent despite class dealignment
e.g 2015, 45% AB voted Cons, 41% DE/50% of social renters voted labour
Regions where Unions are prevalent still dominated by Labour
minorities have always tended to vote labour as theyve been more sympathetic to issues such as immigration and race relations where Conservatives have been hostile.
(1997, 86% black and 70% asians votes Labour)
However iraq war resulted in defects of the muslim vote to LDs and other parties,
This shows recency factors are becoming more and more important.

As a conclusion i like to say that while long term factors are becoming less important and short term more important, Long term still more important.
Image more important due to TV debates but still just as important as performance.

Phew that took a while.
This was off the top of my head but i should have covered everything
Two factors
-Rise of pressure groups and social movements
-Both parties moving towards the centre

What don't you understand about the 25 marker?? It's really straightforward imo

Image has always been important, especially with intro of televised debates which has increased the need for more presidential candidates.
1983 Michael foot appeared scruffy etc compared to the sharply dressed thatcher. Hence lost election.
2010, Cleggmania.. 21% said the debates would change how they voted(Ipsos Mori) However Cleggmania failed to translate to seats for LDs

Blair was presidential, well dressed, good communicator and had a beautiful family
Ed Milliband attacked by the right media on stuff like the bacon sandwich thing, portraying him as not presidential enough. Similar thing for Gordon Brown
Contrast him to Cameron who's always appeared sharp

So leader image definitely important.

Policies is important too,
1983 labour manifesto described at the 'longest suicide in history'- BAD
Blair and New Labour dropping clause 4 from manifesto moved labour to centre
Cameron has been praised for changing his stance on social environmental policies, to reverse the image of the Conservatives being the 'nasty party' eg Gay Marriage.

For performance there are two good quotes for this
"Its the economy, stupid"
"Opponents dont win elections, Governments lose them'

E.g ERM Crisis(1993?) contributed to the conservatives losing in 1997
Labour government blamed for recession due to excess expenditure, debt too big.
Cameron viewed as more competent with the economy, always talked of his 'long term economic plan'.

PARTISAN DE-ALIGNMENT HAS MADE THESE RECENCY FACTORS MORE IMPORTANT

Then you go on to evaluate the long term factors, the Sociological voting model.
Class voting still prevalent despite class dealignment
e.g 2015, 45% AB voted Cons, 41% DE/50% of social renters voted labour
Regions where Unions are prevalent still dominated by Labour
minorities have always tended to vote labour as theyve been more sympathetic to issues such as immigration and race relations where Conservatives have been hostile.
(1997, 86% black and 70% asians votes Labour)
However iraq war resulted in defects of the muslim vote to LDs and other parties,
This shows recency factors are becoming more and more important.

As a conclusion i like to say that while long term factors are becoming less important and short term more important, Long term still more important.
Image more important due to TV debates but still just as important as performance.

Phew that took a while.
This was off the top of my head but i should have covered everything

Thanks so much, its hard for me to get the right examples and structure, because my textbook for unit 1 hugely goes into the common things like referendums,democracy and the usual.
Thanks so much, its hard for me to get the right examples and structure, because my textbook for unit 1 hugely goes into the common things like referendums,democracy and the usual.

No problem! let me know if there's anything you dont understand.
Im only doing VB/Participation and pressure groups

Not bothering with electoral systems or political parties.

Thanks so much, I'm definitely will ask you many questions lol, I'm doing VB and Elections.
I really don't think there will be as we're not taught about the EU, we certainly won't need to know any facts or figures about the EU or the arguments for leave or remain. The EU would only arise as evidence for Referenda or Parliamentary Sovereignty

What is the Courts role in protecting civil liberties & A few examples?

The example about Abu hamza, Abu Qatada would be great - as this example is in my textbook.

Thanks!

what is this question trying to say the disadvantages of the ftp system and advantages of proportional system?
The first-past-the-post system used in elections to the Westminster Parliament should be replaced with a more proportional system

do you happen to have model answers for past paper questions?
if you do that would be very helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending