The Student Room Group

University application- does this count as extenuating circumstances?

Basically in the summer holiday my family and I were declared bankrupt. my parents though they took the right precautions to prevent eviction but were wrong. Weeks later we were evicted. we were homeless for about a week and a half in the summer before sixthform. We eventually won our house back.

Since then we have had to be particularly careful with money throughout the year and i feel my education and grades have been damaged by this precaution. Would this count as extenuating circumstances for university applications i will be making in a few months?
Original post by Anonymous
Basically in the summer holiday my family and I were declared bankrupt. my parents though they took the right precautions to prevent eviction but were wrong. Weeks later we were evicted. we were homeless for about a week and a half in the summer before sixthform. We eventually won our house back.

Since then we have had to be particularly careful with money throughout the year and i feel my education and grades have been damaged by this precaution. Would this count as extenuating circumstances for university applications i will be making in a few months?

Every university will have different policies as to what counts and what doesnt,but normally someone has to have died, been seriously ill or experienced a significant disruption in your education and many would want to know if you told the exam board or not, so although you can ask i dont think it will count
As you're a child, I assume the issue is out of your control. Afaik, any problem that is beyond your control, and has a serious impact on your education, counts as extenuating circumstances.

So if you can prove that your living conditions have had a considerable impact on your education, you may be able to claim for extenuating circumstances.
Reply 3
Original post by Jazzyboy
As you're a child, I assume the issue is out of your control. Afaik, any problem that is beyond your control, and has a serious impact on your education, counts as extenuating circumstances.

So if you can prove that your living conditions have had a considerable impact on your education, you may be able to claim for extenuating circumstances.

Yes I am in sixth form. Okay thanks. I think i may be able to prove it?! In the sense that we earn very little (i can give tax credit forms) and then on top of that in comparison to the income my family is quite large and i could explain that. Do you think that would be good enough evidence as they can evaluate the income??
Yes I am in sixth form. Okay thanks. I think i may be able to prove it?! In the sense that we earn very little (i can give tax credit forms) and then on top of that in comparison to the income my family is quite large and i could explain that. Do you think that would be good enough evidence as they can evaluate the income??

A decrease in income although a difficult circumstance may not be enough for many universities. Although it depends on the university, for example a death in the family just before year 12 started wasn't something any of those i applied for took into account so some of them aren't the most compassionate. You'd need a teacher or someone in a medical profession to write your evidence in most circumstances.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
A decrease in income although a difficult circumstance may not be enough for many universities. Although it depends on the university, for example a death in the family just before year 12 started wasn't something any of those i applied for took into account so some of them aren't the most compassionate. You'd need a teacher or someone in a medical profession to write your evidence in most circumstances.

okay thank you for the advice. I was just looking at the university of Birmingham's requirements to see if i could find anything and i found this: "Severe financial difficulties (this must be long term and have caused significant stress)".
Do you think my situation would fall into this category? I'm asking to be sure because i haven't told any staff at school and would rather not unless i have too as its such a sensitive topic. If you think its worth enquiring let me know (in reference to the quote i just left...
okay thank you for the advice. I was just looking at the university of Birmingham's requirements to see if i could find anything and i found this: "Severe financial difficulties (this must be long term and have caused significant stress)".
Do you think my situation would fall into this category? I'm asking to be sure because i haven't told any staff at school and would rather not unless i have too as its such a sensitive topic. If you think its worth enquiring let me know (in reference to the quote i just left...

If you considered to still be in that once you started your AS year then they might do, like if your family had no income at all when you started, just saying you're on tax credits might not be enough. Give birhmingham a call and ask, but if they say yes you will have to tell your school or maybe your gp to get the evidence.
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
If you considered to still be in that once you started your AS year then they might do, like if your family had no income at all when you started, just saying you're on tax credits might not be enough. Give birhmingham a call and ask, but if they say yes you will have to tell your school or maybe your gp to get the evidence.

Thanks Claire!
So this was all reported at the time to his school and the examinations officer applied, before the deadline, for special consideration in the official way and...

Or not, perhaps?

Quick Reply