The Student Room Group

Why are GCSE's so hard

I didn't get higher than an F in mocks and I need C's

Scroll to see replies

Have you heard of A-Level dear?
Unfortunately its only going to get worse.
I would say just revise a lot and do the best you can.
I hope so.

Original post by Pablo Picasso

Nope
You will need to learn how to do them. Once you get exam technique right then they become easier. Doing some work also helps.
Is it possible for me to get the information in Russian as that is my native language.

I'm still a little rough with English.
Reply 7
I hate how people brag about their grades and if someone gets a C they think it's so bad a C is a pass so I don't understand what is so wrong with getting them. You need 5 A* to C to get into sixth form so… what's the problem?
Original post by Pablo Picasso

I think it depends on person to person. For me GCSE were much harder than A levels, mostly because of the vast amount of subjects.
Reply 9
Original post by 123moon
I hate how people brag about their grades and if someone gets a C they think it's so bad a C is a pass so I don't understand what is so wrong with getting them. You need 5 A* to C to get into sixth form so… what's the problem?

If someone wants to go to top top uni, maybe Oxbridge, they need to get really good GCSE's, so a C to these people won't cut it.
Reply 10
I think you should revise whether it's by using flashcards, mind maps, past papers and watching walking talking mocks on youtube. For topics such as Geography you have to write in PEE in order to get the highest achieving marks. Keep revising. Imagine how happy you'll be achieving the grades you wanted.
Original post by 123moon

It's because everyone has different standards to how well they think they have done.

And that is different for each school as well. My school only allowed 8 As or A* students to enter sixth form with the exception of few people who had 1-2 less As in their GCSE.
Reply 12
Original post by 123moon

I think it's fine but the school I applied to want's me to achieve B's and above in the topics I want to study for A Levels.
Original post by 123moon

It depends on the sixth form, all the ones I have applied to have much higher offers than that.
Original post by Советский Гай
Is it possible for me to get the information in Russian as that is my native language.

I'm still a little rough with English.

it's possible that there's another russian student at your school. try asking your subject teachers if there's anyone who is available to tutor/help you

also, rather than sticking to russian translations, try to develop your english :smile: the exam will have to be done in english so the better that is, the better your grade is. good luck
Original post by vicky.m
it's possible that there's another russian student at your school. try asking your subject teachers if there's anyone who is available to tutor/help you

also, rather than sticking to russian translations, try to develop your english :smile: the exam will have to be done in english so the better that is, the better your grade is. good luck

I guess if I learn in Russian I will retain the information better than in English but I can work on English to help in the exam.
It's mostly memorisation tbh, so find different methods that allow you to do this. Flashcards and mindmaps should get you off to a good start. In the exams themselves, timing is key so practice by doing a few past papers at home in timed conditions so you get a feel for what the time pressures are like :h:
Reply 17
Original post by Советский Гай
I guess if I learn in Russian I will retain the information better than in English but I can work on English to help in the exam.

I know people who spoke no English in Year 7 who now speak English perfectly and are achieving C's - A*. Don't give up.
No it's just people who brag and say ' I got 55/60, my life is over, please help me :frown:'
Original post by Sfhkh
I know people who spoke no English in Year 7 who now speak English perfectly and are achieving C's - A*. Don't give up.

I wan't.

Quick Reply