The Student Room Group

Should there be a limit on how many refugees we let in?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pelaitsc45
Yes, there should always be a limit. Stupid question. If we allowed unlimited migrants the country would suffer hugely economically. The sooner we leave the EU, get UKIP into power and get our own immigration laws the better. Everyone's seen what's happened to Germany and Sweden, it's not our duty.

UKIP is a party full of clowns why would you want them in power?
Isn't that half the manifesto of the Brexit campaign anyway?
Original post by Konahagakure

If it weren't for UKIP, there would be no referendum. We in Germany know that Nigel Farage is perhaps the only British politician leader who is telling the truth. Look at our country. Merkel told the world 'come all ye faithful' and so many thousand German women have been molested, raped and in many unreported cases even murdered since New Year's Day in Cologne.

A free independant country is a stronger one.
Look at Norway for example, they never joined the EU and have been doing absolutely fine economically.
Original post by Audrey18
If it weren't for UKIP, there would be no referendum. We in Germany know that Nigel Farage is perhaps the only British politician leader who is telling the truth. Look at our country. Merkel told the world 'come all ye faithful' and so many thousand German women have been molested, raped and in many unreported cases even murdered since New Year's Day in Cologne.

Germany needs to rise up against Merkel.
Original post by Fractite
Isn't that half the manifesto of the Brexit campaign anyway?

What do you mean?
Original post by ABeingOnEarth
Did the UK have limits when Jewish refugees wanted to settle in the UK? No, so its exactly the same for Muslim refugees.

youre exactly right. oh wait, the circumstances are incomparable - the jewish people were genuinely "refugees" in the truest sense of the word and were facing certain death: in that situation, the uk should have taken more and started sooner, these people are about 80% economic migrants, so yes there should be a limit
Original post by Grand High Witch
What do you mean?

I thought this (and general immigration) is the half the reason why this whole "Britain-leaving-the-EU" referendum thing is happening in the first place.
Look at Norway for example, they never joined the EU and have been doing absolutely fine economically.

Norway is not only a very beautiful country but it is also a country that is very rich. It's government made it very clear to Muslims and people of other religions who wanted to seek asylum in Norway that they are free to practice their religion but if they misbehave, their permit papers will be cancelled and they will be deported.

Germany needs to rise up against Merkel.

Merkel is too powerful and she doesn't like public engagements where there are Q & A sessions. So she gets to do whatever she pleases and till now she hasn't apologized for the all the atrocities that German women had to experience such as the molests, rapes and even murders since New Year's Day in Cologne.

This is just the list of crimes that were reported on that fateful day. I hope you have a strong stomach.
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/01/21/revealed-full-list-of-1049-victims-crimes-committed-during-cologne-new-years-eve-sex-assaults/
Norway is not only a very beautiful country but it is aussi a country that is very rich. It's government made it very clear to Muslims and people of other religions who wanted to seek asylum in Norway that they are free to practice their religion but if they misbehave, their permit papers will be cancelled and they will be deported.

Exactly. I wish every country in the EU could and would do this. Allowing migrants in a country and allowing them to do whatever they deem normal (from their own culture) is just accepted because they are refugees. There still needs to be rules and regulations.

Merkel is too powerful and she doesn't like public engagements where there are Q & A sessions. So she gets to do whatever she pleases and till now she hasn't apologized for the all the atrocities that German women had to experience such as the molests, rapes and even murders since New Year's Day in Cologne.

This is just the list of crimes that were reported on that fateful day. I hope you have a strong stomach.
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/01/21/revealed-full-list-of-1049-victims-crimes-committed-during-cologne-new-years-eve-sex-assaults/

Jesus, that's crazy. The fact that Germany, and therefore Merkel, has the most power in the EU is rather frightening.
Original post by Fractite
I thought this (and general immigration) is the half the reason why this whole "Britain-leaving-the-EU" referendum thing is happening in the first place.

I think the genuine reason the referendum is happening is a push from the Eurosceptic limb of the Tory party (both MPs and voters).
Original post by Grand High Witch
Dismissing those who are opposed to mass immigration as 'racists' is part of the problem. Even Labour has recognised this now.

The whole immigration debate has become completely hijacked by racists posing with other concerns, as has the EU referendum. It's the same right across Europe and we should call it for what it is and let's all stop pretending that it's about something else.
If we didn't have such weak leaders then we wouldn't have such problems. Just enforce culture and values, introduce mandatory probationary periods for refugees and a zero tolerance approach to crime.

We aren't helping the overall problem by letting in refugees. They're either not educated enough to scrape a living in the developed world, or they are educated enough and we're taking away the capable workforce of their country of origin, leading to more poverty.

No one wins in the long run.

Original post by Fullofsurprises
The whole immigration debate has become completely hijacked by racists posing with other concerns, as has the EU referendum. It's the same right across Europe and we should call it for what it is and let's all stop pretending that it's about something else.

Who are these racists? They certainly seem to be in short supply unless you loosen the definition of racist to include a whole race, oh wait that's already been done hasn't it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Exactly. I wish every country in the EU could and would do this. Allowing migrants in a country and allowing them to do whatever they deem normal (from their own culture) is just accepted because they are refugees. There still needs to be rules and regulations.
May I know where are you from?I'm German and in my country

we don't claim benefits because we know that if we abuse the system, the people who genuinely need it will not get the financial help they need

we don't take student loans because we don't believe in borrowing money we can't repay later on

Our politicians apart from Merkel, get riled up and all hell breaks loose when it is made known that

patients have died in hospital due to doctor's errors

if there are plans to cut the number of police officers patrolling the streets

if there are plans to cut the salaries of teachers, doctors, nurses and police officers

if there are rapes of women and children and the process of prosecuting them is slow

This is the mentality in Germany. But in the UK and just by judging from this forum alone I have seen British people say that

people dying in British hospitals are part and parcel of life

high number of rapes in UK is acceptable given that there are 65 million people in UK

doctors should not be protesting against continued cuts to their salaries while ministers and bankers get huge pay packets

What I'm pointing out to you and everyone else is that there is a difference in mentality between both Germany and UK. I respect the fact that there are bound to be differences but what I cannot accept is the cavalier attitude that some on this forum have displayed when it comes to

people dying in British hospitals and that is part and parcel of life

high number of rapes in UK is acceptable given that there are 65 million people in UK

doctors should not be protesting against continued cuts to their salaries while ministers and bankers get huge pay packets

Jesus, that's crazy. The fact that Germany, and therefore Merkel, has the most power in the EU is rather frightening.
There is no such thing as the EU. In reality, it's just Germany and France making all the decisions while the rest has to follow. UK should never have gotten into bed with them. Look at the mess UK is in.
May I know where are you from?I'm German and in my country

we don't claim benefits because we know that if we abuse the system, the people who genuinely need it will not get the financial help they need

we don't take student loans because we don't believe in borrowing money we can't repay later on

Our politicians apart from Merkel, get riled up and all hell breaks loose when it is made known that

patients have died in hospital due to doctor's errors

if there are plans to cut the number of police officers patrolling the streets

if there are plans to cut the salaries of teachers, doctors, nurses and police officers

if there are rapes of women and children and the process of prosecuting them is slow

This is the mentality in Germany. But in the UK and just by judging from this forum alone I have seen British people say that

people dying in British hospitals are part and parcel of life

What I'm pointing out to you and everyone else is that there is a difference in mentality between both Germany and UK. I respect the fact that there are bound to be differences but what I cannot accept is the cavalier attitude that some on this forum have displayed when it comes to

people dying in British hospitals and that is part and parcel of life

There is no such thing as the EU. In reality, it's just Germany and France making all the decisions while the rest has to follow. UK should never have gotten into bed with them. Look at the mess UK is in.

I'm from the UK and yes, I agree with most of what you are saying. That's why so many of us want a brexit.

I don't quite understand what you mean about the 'cavalier' attitude you describe. Obviously people will die in hospitals in any country, are you saying that we shouldn't accept so many people dying in hospitals? I'm not really sure how that's relevant. You say that doctors should not protest against continued cuts but to do that, it means more people will die in hospitals as a result.

Obviously rape in any country is unacceptable no matter how many people there are.
Original post by ABeingOnEarth
Did the UK have limits when Jewish refugees wanted to settle in the UK? No, so its exactly the same for Muslim refugees.

These "refugees" weren't hunted down, rounded up and then tortured, starved, involved in horrifying experiments and murdered. You cannot compare this situation to the brutality Jews faced.

And by doing that you tar the large proportion of people with sensible, non-racist views about restricting immigration as 'racists'.

Also, racists have not hijacked the debate. They may have attempted to, but the debate in Britain is largely being shaped on economic and social terms rather than wishing to limit immigration based on the race of those entering.

That's the thing they never joined who said that leaving the EU would have the same effect.
That's the thing they never joined who said that leaving the EU would have the same effect.

Because we will be in the same state as Norway if we did leave. Unlike what the government and most scaremongers tell you, EU countries won't just stop trading because we're not in their EU circlejerk.

I always find it deeply offensive when the Left label anyone who wants to leave the UK as racist or anti EU. I am neither,thank you very much. I worked as a professional dancer all over the world. From Manchester, but trained in London. Danced at the Moulin Rouge in Paris for a year. Then Japan for a total of three years. Also Hong Kong,The Philippines and Athens. I LOVE Europe. Europe is full of so many beautiful languages, cultures, architecture,art. But that doesn't mean we have to be joined at the hip with the whole of Europe for evermore. We can go it alone and thrive,while still admiring and respecting the wonderful place that Europe is.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest