The Student Room Group

What is school life like at a comprehensive school?

Scroll to see replies

My school was pretty good for most people tbh, considering my observations of how other students were treated.

I had a horrible time because I was stuck in the learning needs system, and I was discriminated against because the teachers thought I had learning difficulties. (I didn't. I was put on the system when I was 2 because of a short-term problem then, and then I was unable to leave the system after the problem subsided, despite asking several times in high school)

From what I've heard about other people who were considered to have learning difficulties, most kids would be much better off without being on the system, because teachers use it much more to discriminate against kids than to actually help them. I suspect that the reason my IT teacher refused to let me take full course IT was because I was on the system, despite me consistently doing the best in the class.

Still though, the school was pretty good other than that, and it was only a few of the teachers who discriminated against me. Some of them were really nice, and agreed to not seperate me from everyone else when I explained that I actually didn't have any learning difficulties. Plus to be fair, I did have some serious problems in the last couple of years of high school, so the system helped slightly then.(I had frequent migraines). I still think I would have been better off without being on the system though.
Reply 21
Original post by Maths465Man
My comprehensive school is considered 'good' and I'm glad that I went to it (I'm going to a grammar school for sixth-form). Even though the experience wasn't as good as it probably would have been if I has went to a grammar or private school, it was still pretty decent. The disruption in class was sometimes annoying, the facilities weren't very good and the people there weren't all that nice. However, it allowed me to do things academically that I don't think I would have done at a private or grammar school.

By 'annoying', did the disruption ever reach a point where a teacher had a mental breakdown in class (I have witnessed it happening at least twice at my school)?
Original post by Palette
By 'annoying', did the disruption ever reach a point where a teacher had a mental breakdown in class (I have witnessed it happening at least twice at my school)?

No. That's never happened. The closest I've been to that is a couple of mild to severe screaming fits.
Went to a comprehensive secondary school- it was terrible. Constant fighting, swearing at teachers, fire's starting, fireworks exploding...it was a disaster :redface:
My secondary school was so bad it actually ended up on TV.:lol:

I don't go to a grammar sixth form- but it's around a more sophisticated area and it's A LOT better in terms of education...more rules but it's so much better.
Original post by Palette
I go to a grammar school which is why I am asking.

There is no difference
Original post by loveleest
Went to a comprehensive secondary school- it was terrible. Constant fighting, swearing at teachers, fire's starting, fireworks exploding...it was a disaster :redface:
My secondary school was so bad it actually ended up on TV.:lol:

I don't go to a grammar sixth form- but it's around a more sophisticated area and it's A LOT better in terms of education...more rules but it's so much better.

was it Kingsford
Original post by Bob's Your Uncle
was it Kingsford

omg no :redface: I can't say... I actually told someone on here once and they what school it was
omg no :redface: I can't say... I actually told someone on here once and they what school it was

OK. What is bad about comprehensive schools.
Original post by Bob's Your Uncle
OK. What is bad about comprehensive schools.

I just gave my experience on mine. Not to say it was all like that.

My school was just really bad haha.
I just gave my experience on mine. Not to say it was all like that.

My school was just really bad haha.

Mine was average
Reply 30
I really don't get the problem with comprehensive schools...
I go to one and I'm an A* student
Yeah some of the teachers aren't great and yeah there may be the occasional fight but my learning has never been negatively affected.
I hate the way people turn their noses down on comprehensive schools just because it caters for mixed abilities..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maths465Man
No. That's never happened. The closest I've been to that is a couple of mild to severe screaming fits.

That's not that bad my class made our history teacher breakdown in year 7. Then bullied a teacher in year 8 until he left. (Cover teachers got rekt I already mentioned the one that lost it and threw chairs at us).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mlb37
I really don't get the problem with comprehensive schools...
I go to one and I'm an A* student
Yeah some of the teachers aren't great and yeah there may be the occasional fight but my learning has never been negatively affected.
I hate the way people turn their noses down on comprehensive schools just because it caters for mixed abilities..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Finally someone talking sense 👍
Not as bad as people seem to think. Yeah there are some schools which are really rough but most are just normal - the only real difference between state comprehensive and grammar schools is the range of abilities of students. Sometimes teaching standards may vary, but it's not the teachers who sit the exams at the end of the day. Both are state funded so facilities shouldn't differ really.
Original post by Palette
I have edited the post as I sounded quite condescending. If you wish, I can copy the original post on here so that people know what your point was (that is, the fact that I wrote far too formally).

As a side note, I have ranted about grammar Nazis in the past.

No it's fine, it was just slightly irritating.
There's a difference between grammar and condescending/too formal.... I was just trying to bring that point across, especially considering that grammar schools are state schools and in theory are meant as an alternative for those who have good "brains" yet can't afford to go to a private school.
This discussion has almost compelled me to revise during this upcoming half-term. I have been demotivated and frankly slothful, but some of these answers have shown me how blessed I really am to be a student in a grammar school. There is barely ever any fighting or circumstances in which students are detached from lessons. Our school is so "civilised" that we do not even have an isolation room - as there is no need for one. I understand that not all comprehensive schools are this "appalling", but it really has taught me how fortunate I am. I apologise beforehand for any condescension or apparent patronisation shown, but I am blatantly just expressing my opinion without any "beating(s) around the bush".
I go to a comprensive school and someone took a **** in the corridor there once. Does that answer your question?
Reply 37
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
No it's fine, it was just slightly irritating.
There's a difference between grammar and condescending/too formal.... I was just trying to bring that point across, especially considering that grammar schools are state schools and in theory are meant as an alternative for those who have good "brains" yet can't afford to go to a private school.

Up until relatively recently, I used to stick to using full sentences all the time even when texting a friend. I must have irritated them without even knowing about it.

In your opinion, is it concerning that half of the members of Cabinet attended a private school, leaving them to base their decisions on a rather narrow range of experiences and interactions? The reason why I created this thread was because I was worried that I might develop ignorant views in the future about other people if I didn't get to know their experiences.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Desultory
This discussion has almost compelled me to revise during this upcoming half-term. I have been demotivated and frankly slothful, but some of these answers have shown me how blessed I really am to be a student in a grammar school. There is barely ever any fighting or circumstances in which students are detached from lessons. Our school is so "civilised" that we do not even have an isolation room - as there is no need for one. I understand that not all comprehensive schools are this "appalling", but it really has taught me how fortunate I am. I apologise beforehand for any condescension or apparent patronisation shown, but I am blatantly just expressing my opinion without any "beating(s) around the bush".

At my grammar school, the behaviour naturally became better as I moved up the years, but there were will some instances of disruption and downright rudeness even in Year 11. It's good that there are no misbehaving people in Year 12, as even the previously naughty ones realise by then that being disruptive will only place their grades in jeopardy.
Original post by Palette
Up until relatively recently, I used to stick to using full sentences all the time even when texting a friend. I must have irritated them without even knowing about it.

In your opinion, is it concerning that half of the members of Cabinet attended a private school, leaving them to base their decisions on a rather narrow range of experiences and interactions? The reason why I created this thread was because I was worried that I might develop ignorant views in the future about other people if I didn't get to know their experiences.

I like using full sentences when I text - the main problem is the choice in vocabulary.

If you go to a grammar school (as opposed to a private school) it isn't as bad as there will be people from a variety of backgrounds.
Yes, it is concerning.
I'm not saying you will become ignorant, and that's what's good about university (providing you don't go to Oxbridge etc), but I think you should find a way to meet other people such as with a program like NCS or meeting people from other schools.
I go to a faith school. Recently some 6th formers spoke (I don't know who to....) about how being at a faith school isn't good because it doesn't prepare you when you go out and are surrounded by people who are different faiths and have different beliefs. I think it's important that the Government encourages different schools to mix, to ensure that people don't develop ignorant views.
Faith schools should mix with schools of other faiths and regular comprehensives. Private schools should mix with state schools etc

But I don't think you asking about the differences with schooling will make much of a difference. We all have different experiences and that will shape our views and beliefs.
We all have similar school lives. We will all get up in the morning at a time we consider too early, we will all travel to school, whether it is by public transport, school bus, car or foot. We will all study maths, some in their schools with the state of the art equipment, and some who still use blackboards. We will all eat lunch and play sport and then go home and do homework.
There will always be hated teachers, the school "b****" (or whatever the equivalent is for a guy). There will always be disruptions and assemblies that everyone hates.
I don't for one second believe that behaviour in a private or grammar school is "immaculate", it probably isn't as bad as in our state schools with 32 kids in a classroom, but it's definitely there.

And now my mum's kicking me off the computer so I can't finish whatever this actually was meant to be...
Sorry for the ranting...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending