The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Biology Unit 1 26th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by TayaP
I know they have a cell membrane, but it specifically said cell-surface :/

Yes bacterial cells have cell-surface membrane.
Original post by Ordo
Yes bacterial cells have cell-surface membrane.

A cell surface membrane is when the membrane is on the surface, so the outer layer. Bacterial cells have a cell membrane and then a cell wall, capsule etc. So its not a cell surface membrane but just a cell membrane.
Reply 362
If I was to do badly in this exam, would AQA use my score from this resit or my best score when calculating my overall grade?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by keyadeb
If I was to do badly in this exam, would AQA use my score from this resit or my best score when calculating my overall grade?

Your best grade is kept

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 364
Original post by Username_12345
A cell surface membrane is when the membrane is on the surface, so the outer layer. Bacterial cells have a cell membrane and then a cell wall, capsule etc. So its not a cell surface membrane but just a cell membrane.

Not saying you are wrong but this textbook confirmed it.
IMG_3386[1].jpg
Original post by Ordo
Not saying you are wrong but this textbook confirmed it.
IMG_3386[1].jpg

Thats actually good for me because I ticked cell surface membrane. Thanks!
Reply 366
Is anyone resitting unit 2?
Original post by keyadeb
Is anyone resitting unit 2?

Yep :frown:
Original post by haj101
Yep :frown:

I am too 😢
I had done every past paper and revised the whole biol1 section of toole and toole but still found it hard😓🔫 I still completely messed up the 5 marker on sodium transport
I'm not looking forward to biol2 because the past papers are completely different to the 2016 exams
I'm starting my past papers today 😐
Original post by NK18444
I am too 😢
I had done every past paper and revised the whole biol1 section of toole and toole but still found it hard😓🔫 I still completely messed up the 5 marker on sodium transport
I'm not looking forward to biol2 because the past papers are completely different to the 2016 exams
I'm starting my past papers today 😐

Totally agree with you! I went through all the unit 1 questions and I was ready for that exam...
Believe it or not when I looked at the paper I thought I was given the wrong one!😂😂😂
I found it hard too but I'm not surprised we're the last year on the spec and they've pretty much asked everything so they needed to come up with newer harder concepts to trip us up (idiots😂)

I've started them today but I'm just trying not to get used to the style of the papers as I know theyve designed an ugly unit 2 paper especially for us A2 resitters😭
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by haj101
Totally agree with you! I went through all the unit 1 questions and I was ready for that exam...
Believe it or not when I looked at the paper I thought I was given the wrong one!😂😂😂
I found it hard too but I'm not surprised we're the last year on the spec and they've pretty much asked everything so they needed to come up with newer harder concepts to trip us up (idiots😂)

I've started them today but I'm just trying not to get used to the style of the papers as I know theyve designed an ugly unit 2 paper especially for us A2 resitters😭

oh my goodness!! I checked the front page to see if they had given me the new spec hahah
I thought they would just reuse the same questions from all 12 of the past papers my teacher thought that they would do that
I don't know how I did it can range from a good grade to a D to be honest because I was so panicked that the exam seems a blur 😓
I'm just going to have to smash unit 2, 4 and 5 and what's the likelihood of that 😢😢
All the best with the rest of your revision Hajra!!!
Original post by NK18444
oh my goodness!! I checked the front page to see if they had given me the new spec hahah
I thought they would just reuse the same questions from all 12 of the past papers my teacher thought that they would do that
I don't know how I did it can range from a good grade to a D to be honest because I was so panicked that the exam seems a blur 😓
I'm just going to have to smash unit 2, 4 and 5 and what's the likelihood of that 😢😢
All the best with the rest of your revision Hajra!!!

You know what tbh Thats what our teachers predicted too giving is false hope lol😔
IA it won't be a D don't worry about it too much it was a challenging paper and the boundaries have to go down lets pray it goes down quite significantly!
The only thing we can do is try our best, hopefully we do well in some units which can compensate for units we've scored lower on😊
Jzk Naima❤️ All the best to you too!! Will keep you updated on my other exams! X
Original post by BigDaddy97
Yeah that would be great if you don't mind cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you send one to me please?
Can anyone explain 7c) regarding a blood transfusion from a patient recently recovered from ebola? I thought the patients blood would contain memory cells as they've just recovered from the disease but the MS says there are lots of ANTIBODIES in the recovered patient and that the transfused plasma contains ANTIBODIES???
Original post by AJA1994
Can anyone explain 7c) regarding a blood transfusion from a patient recently recovered from ebola? I thought the patients blood would contain memory cells as they've just recovered from the disease but the MS says there are lots of ANTIBODIES in the recovered patient and that the transfused plasma contains ANTIBODIES???

It's important to realize that the transfusion is taking place from a person who has been infected by the virus, hence he will have produced memory cells and so antibodies to the ebola virus antigen.

The transfusion takes place to make sure the person will have antibodies in case he gets infected with the virus (once he gets affected he will make memory cells but the question doesn't want you to address this as the antibodies are significant here (you can mention memory cells/plasma cells but the key idea is that he will have antibodies). Hope that makes sense.

I am retaking this year, as I had some issues the previous years so messed up.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kira Yagami
It's important to realize that the transfusion is taking place from a person who has been infected by the virus, hence he will have produced memory cells and so antibodies to the ebola virus antigen.

The transfusion takes place to make sure the person will have antibodies in case he gets infected with the virus (once he gets affected he will make memory cells but the question doesn't want you to address this as the antibodies are significant here (you can mention memory cells/plasma cells but the key idea is that he will have antibodies). Hope that makes sense.

I am retaking this year, as I had some issues the previous years so messed up.

Thanks! I'm retaking also.

How long lasting are antibodies? I was under the impression it would only be the memory cells which remained in the recovered patients blood and hence they would be transferred to the new person and then recognise the Ebola antigens if that person is infected and so on.. Didn't realise it was directly the antibodies. I don't even get the cue hinting why it is the antibodies and not the B cells.

Tbh I've found different resources and that Nelson Thorne textbook isn't abundantly clear. I've seen antibodies on B cells burning directly to a pathogens antigens but the textbook makes no mention of this. Chapter 6 is rather poor imo
Original post by AJA1994
Thanks! I'm retaking also.

How long lasting are antibodies? I was under the impression it would only be the memory cells which remained in the recovered patients blood and hence they would be transferred to the new person and then recognise the Ebola antigens if that person is infected and so on.. Didn't realise it was directly the antibodies. I don't even get the cue hinting why it is the antibodies and not the B cells.

Tbh I've found different resources and that Nelson Thorne textbook isn't abundantly clear. I've seen antibodies on B cells burning directly to a pathogens antigens but the textbook makes no mention of this. Chapter 6 is rather poor imo

This is passive immunity. He won't produce memory cells, he will only produce memory cells when he gets infected by the virus which induces an Immune response. ( but because he will have antibodies present in his blood I don't think he will have any memory cells)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending