The Student Room Group

What is the best investment bank?

Which bank would you want to work for the most, if you had a choice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hoping4thebest
Which bank would you want to work for the most, if you had a choice?

Lol:

Bro, the best bank is the one that you see yourself at the most. It depends entirely on what you value in terms of culture and fit, but as well as your future goals (much touted exit opp horn).

Personally the 'crème de la crème' for me is your standard triple threat (GS/MS/JPM) and the elite boutiques. But in reality, I would take most BBs, EBs and even a less 'preftigious' shop like Nomura, HSBC, BNPP etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile
lehman brothers
Original post by gr8wizard10
lehman brothers

Stfu, Bear Stearns is the best. Other shops have those unnecessary 'ED/SVP/D' titles, Bear boosts you straight to MD. Now THAT is preftigious

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I'll take whatever I can get. Hopefully JP Morgan.
Reply 5
Original post by Princepieman
Lol:

Bro, the best bank is the one that you see yourself at the most. It depends entirely on what you value in terms of culture and fit, but as well as your future goals (much touted exit opp horn).

Personally the 'crème de la crème' for me is your standard triple threat (GS/MS/JPM) and the elite boutiques. But in reality, I would take most BBs, EBs and even a less 'preftigious' shop like Nomura, HSBC, BNPP etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile

The guy in the video = studos
Reply 6
Original post by Trapz99
The guy in the video = studos

Sho, yes ak, tell em tell em

Posted from TSR Mobile
Implying you're able to be picky and choose.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Implying you're able to be picky and choose.

Some people can, the lucky bams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some people can, the lucky bams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sure the people lucky enough to get multiple offers but really deciding which is best is going to be the least of everyone's worries.
Reply 10
For S&T, GS/JP are the two places to be, I'd pick (and did) JP over GS.
Original post by Noble.

What degree did you do and where?
Reply 12
Original post by lolatmaths
What degree did you do and where?

Maths at Oxford
Original post by Noble.

Depends on the type of trading no? Citi are pretty solid in rates and FX (albeit slightly behind JP)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noble.
Maths at Oxford

Bloody hell well done mate, what unis and courses did your co workers do?
Reply 15
Original post by lolatmaths
Bloody hell well done mate, what unis and courses did your co workers do?

Well I haven't started yet (and it's also just a summer internship, but my desk are looking to hire someone to start straight after the internship, so fingers crossed), but I know my manager (ED) on the desk did E&M at Oxford and the analyst did econ at Cambs.
Original post by Noble.
Well I haven't started yet (and it's also just a summer internship, but my desk are looking to hire someone to start straight after the internship, so fingers crossed), but I know my manager (ED) on the desk did E&M at Oxford and the analyst did econ at Cambs.

wow, so you're pretty much doomed if you arent at oxbridge lol
Reply 17
Depends on the type of trading no? Citi are pretty solid in rates and FX (albeit slightly behind JP)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it does massively depend on the type of trading, but looking at S&T as a whole JP/GS are quite far ahead of other banks (and I don't think it's too unfair to consider banks as a whole, given that pretty much all recruitment in markets now is done via summer internships and very few banks give out summer offers on a desk specific basis).
Original post by Noble.

So are they only going to hire one of the interns? Wow, I didn't know there was a low conversion rate for s&t.

(Congrats on getting the internship btw)
Totally depends von division, desk/team and what you want for the future

If you want to do a fast exit and quite some headhunter looks even as an intern, go with the usual GS/JPM/MS (IBD)

If you are lucky and receive offers from the three (considering you liked the people all the same and do not even care about the City vs. Canary Wharf) you should better know in what industry or product team you are interested in. if you like media and telco. go with MS, NatRes and Consumer/Retail GS is your choice, if you like industrials take JPM.

I assume you are looking for prestige and the fastest/broadest exits opps. possible (like most of us) go with GS MBD (preferably Equity/Credit), JPM LevFin or MS M&A execution (and avoid activism advisory within the team).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending