The Student Room Group

Official OCR AS Chemistry B (Salters) 27th May 2016 (new specification)

Scroll to see replies

I knew basically nothing, I'm just hoping to pass, I'd be lucky to scrape a D at best
Original post by Jatman01
I've that you need to filter it under reduced pressure and then heat the salt or use anhydrous salt

Is that the insoluble base and dilute acid question
I honestly found the paper far nicer than the specimen papers, however I hated that practical question.
has anyone composed an unofficial markscheme?
Original post by Shan_non
I knew basically nothing, I'm just hoping to pass, I'd be lucky to scrape a D at best

ME too there was literally only about 2 questions i was sure on. the rest were guesses.
Original post by AlphaArgonian
I honestly found the paper far nicer than the specimen papers, however I hated that practical question.

is that the question i said
Does anyone have any prediction for the 10th June exam?
guys if i get a d/c in paper 1 and i get a b in paper 2,, would i be able to get a b overall....i dont know what happened to me in paper 1... :frown:

Also, anyone know whether we should know the odine thiofulfate redox titration equations off by heart?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ilovefruit
Does anyone have any prediction for the 10th June exam?

I reckon there'll be more stuff on organic chemistry as paper 1 had a lot of inorganic chemistry in it. Expect stuff from Developing Fuels and What's In A Medicine to come up, however, don't be surprised to see the odd Elements From The Sea and The Ozone Story questions to be present. Physical chemistry from Elements of Life will definitely come up.
Original post by THESTRESS
guys if i get a d/c in paper 1 and i get a b in paper 2,, would i be able to get a b overall....i dont know what happened to me in paper 1... :frown:

Also, anyone know whether we should know the odine thiofulfate redox titration equations off by heart?

You'd need a high B and at least a mid C I think. Also, I'm not sure, the specification makes no reference to the equations.
Original post by AlphaArgonian
I reckon there'll be more stuff on organic chemistry as paper 1 had a lot of inorganic chemistry in it. Expect stuff from Developing Fuels and What's In A Medicine to come up, however, don't be surprised to see the odd Elements From The Sea and The Ozone Story questions to be present. Physical chemistry from Elements of Life will definitely come up.

what do you mean by physical chemistry?
Reply 51
Anyone got a rough idea of predictions
Does anyone have a list of topics that came up in Paper 1?
Original post by THESTRESS
what do you mean by physical chemistry?

I think this is to do with equilibrium and reaction rates
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths
For the final calculation question about UVA's frequency and breaking a bond with enthalpy 320kJ/mol ( I think that's what it is), I'm pretty sure you're meant to calculate the frequency of energy required to break a bond with enthalpy of 320kJ/mol, and see if it's above or below the frequency of UVA. However, I did it the other way round and found the bond enthalpy that UVA is able to break... would I still get the marks, do you think?

i did the same, and my teacher said its okay, but i found that uva wasn't able to break the bond which my teacher said was also correct. so u'd probably lose 1 mark , so dw too much :smile:
Original post by jasonbilly
i did the same, and my teacher said its okay, but i found that uva wasn't able to break the bond which my teacher said was also correct. so u'd probably lose 1 mark , so dw too much :smile:

Ahh thank you!
Is there a thread for Paper 2 anywhere?
How did people find the second paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boyswimmer123
How did people find the second paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

When SO much better than the first one but that one went really bad. Annoying thing is my college forgot to give us the data sheet and then couldn't find them so had to wait 10 mins but only got an extra 5mins,
Original post by ilovefruit
When SO much better than the first one but that one went really bad. Annoying thing is my college forgot to give us the data sheet and then couldn't find them so had to wait 10 mins but only got an extra 5mins,

The exact same thing happened to us! and it was raining so heavily that the data sheets came back wet :frown:

Quick Reply