The Student Room Group

Should there be a limit on how many refugees we let in?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by markova21
I always find it deeply offensive when the Left label anyone who wants to leave the UK as racist or anti EU. I am neither,thank you very much. I worked as a professional dancer all over the world. From Manchester, but trained in London. Danced at the Moulin Rouge in Paris for a year. Then Japan for a total of three years. Also Hong Kong,The Philippines and Athens. I LOVE Europe. Europe is full of so many beautiful languages, cultures, architecture,history. But that doesn't mean we have to be joined at the hip with the whole of Europe for evermore. We can go it alone and thrive,while still admiring and respecting the wonderful place that Europe is.

Since you've been in so many parts of the world, I find it strange that you genuinely think we can go it alone in the modern interconnected global civilisation. We are far better off as part of a larger structure of co-operating nations. For sure, the EU is far from perfect and could be a lot better in many ways (just like other big polities like the US and China), but it's a very limited view to think that little Britain is somehow still a big power that can make its own way in the world without a reduction in economic power and without a loss of intelligent policies in many areas of government. To give just one example, it's deluded to think that the US will deal with the UK as an equal partner in the way it does with Brussels.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Since you've been in so many parts of the world, I find it strange that you genuinely think we can go it alone in the modern interconnected global civilisation. We are far better off as part of a larger structure of co-operating nations. For sure, the EU is far from perfect and could be a lot better in many ways (just like other big polities like the US and China), but it's a very limited view to think that little Britain is somehow still a big power that can make its own way in the world without a reduction in economic power and without a loss of intelligent policies in many areas of government. To give just one example, it's deluded to think that the US will deal with the UK as an equal partner in the way it does with Brussels.

Well there are far more countries in the world NOT in the EU who all seem to manage just fine. And we managed just fine before the EU even existed.
BTW,I still have a friend in Paris from my Can Can dancing days. Dominique Bertrand. He is a millionaire. He is an inventor. He has invented a whole load of things I don't understand to do with computers. Something to do with surround sound as well. He spends his time between Paris and Perth in Western Australia. Have had lots of long chats with him on Skype over the years. Recently we were talking about the EU. He told me his is sick of the EU and all its rules and regulations and most of his friends and business colleagues felt exactly the same way. He told me how envious he was we were getting a Referendum and he wished the French people were too.
Yes.
Yeah it should be ZERO
Original post by Grand High Witch
Interesting. So you think upwards of, say, 1 million would be acceptable? What about 2 million? 5 million?

I think about 10 million would be good...lol.

Original post by The Roast
The difference is that those Jews were fleeing real persecution. Most of the middle-eastern and north African men entering the UK are not "refugees" - they're opportunists more than anything else.

But I mean the ones that are refugees, from iraq syria.
why are people who are fleeing poverty not considered refugees? Are u only a refugee if ur country is in a civil war?
Original post by Hibzish
why are people who are fleeing poverty not considered refugees? Are u only a refugee if ur country is in a civil war?

Refugees are people who have pretty much no choice but to flee their country due to war, persecution, etc. I wouldn't say people who are 'fleeing' poverty are refugees; they are economic migrants. Besides, taking in economic migrants is definitely not an effective way to solve world poverty. I recommend you watch this:

[video="youtube;LPjzfGChGlE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjzfGChGlE[/video]
In my opinion:

in WW2 Nazi Germany had taken control of Europe and Great Britain was the barrier that stopped the Nazi advances. In that case the Jews and others (remember it wasn't just Jews) had no were else to go without travelling through Great Britain and many of them chose to leave after the war. However in the case of the current refugees there are many safe places on the way where they can stay France, Germany, Italy, Greece as some examples.

Whilst all of the above is true I believe we should take some and agree with the 20,000 government limit. Australia told the refugees that if they came via boats and not the approved routes they would be denied asylum. This worked and less people died.
Original post by ABeingOnEarth

But I mean the ones that are refugees, from iraq syria.

Of course we should be giving refuge to those fleeing the war in Iraq/Syria, but only them.

We shouldn't, however, be taking the opportunistic scum leeching from our wealth and naive generosity.

Please refrain from making jokes about the Jews and their plight, your anti-semitism is showing.
Well there are far more countries in the world NOT in the EU who all seem to manage just fine. And we managed just fine before the EU even existed.

Did we? The UK economy was far smaller then than it is now. We had a much lower living standard and most economists in the world thought we were in irreversible decline.
BTW,I still have a friend in Paris from my Can Can dancing days. Dominique Bertrand. He is a millionaire. He is an inventor. He has invented a whole load of things I don't understand to do with computers. Something to do with surround sound as well. He spends his time between Paris and Perth in Western Australia. Have had lots of long chats with him on Skype over the years. Recently we were talking about the EU. He told me his is sick of the EU and all its rules and regulations and most of his friends and business colleagues felt exactly the same way. He told me how envious he was we were getting a Referendum and he wished the French people were too.

I wonder what those regulations are that he opposes. Let's hazard a wild guess. Protection for working people. Safety regulations in factories. Minimum wages. Pension entitlements. All things that benefit ordinary people.
Original post by bolly_mad
Any limit would prove that the UK is racist.

No it won't. Saudi Arabia aren't taking any refugees are they racist?
There should definitely be a limit. We need to remove the source of the problem instead of just dealing with the outcome. That means more air strikes, possibly more cooperation with the Assad regime then snake him out and bomb him.
Original post by Audrey18
Nobody on the thread mentioned about 'Muslims'. Why did you have to do it?

I'm German. So my posts only concerns what happened in Germany As you know, many Muslim migrant men raped, molested and sexually abused many women in my country since New Year's Day.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35231046
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...ks-list-crimes
http://www.news.com.au/finance/econo...d65045e65e141d
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016...-sex-assaults/

You only have to see what the German police commissioner said on national TV to understand the true extent of the migrant crisis. Mind you, the higher command in Germany gave him a piece of their mind following the telecast of this interview. Watch it to believe it.

[video="youtube;SOi8QJD8fiw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOi8QJD8fiw[/video]

Political correctness was what got many, many good, wonderful members on this forum banned for merely questioning the policy decisions linked to immigration/migration such as the one made by my Chancellor to allow all these migrants into my country

without checking if they are holding genuine passports

without checking if they have links to terrorist groups

without checking if they have criminal records in their home countries

without checking if they have HIV/AIDS

Someone recently asked me why should people wanting to enter into another country, be checked for HIV/AIDS? This is because the government owes a duty to its citizens to protect them from people who may want to infect others with their communicable diseases. This is an extension of a 'social contract theory'. Read up on it if you have time. Educate yourself.

You may have read or heard, many of these migrants have turned my country upside down. I hope all of you reading my post, bears this in mind. A country's sovereignty, security and safety of its citizens is so so important. With Merkel's blunder, we have become a carbon copy of UK & the rest of EU and their set of problems.

Merkel has been in hiding for many months now. She's pushing 62 years of age. She won't throw in the towel just yet. If UK decides to remain in the EU, I am certain they will make EU into a united states of Europe and she would be the major contender for the post of PM of the USE. Tony Blair has quietened down way too much to be able to stake a claim for that coveted position.

Merkel studied physics and then chemistry. She has no knowledge and understanding about politics, law, finance and sociology. She tells the German public one thing and tells the EU another thing and then tells the world another thing. Sometime back she said that refugees must now return back to their countries of origin after the wars back home have ended.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu...-idUSKCN0V80IH

With Turkey's inclusion into the EU imminent, there will be 77 million Turks who will get to make their debut appearance in any of the EU member states. They will not go to France because France has zero tolerance towards Muslims. They will continue to come to Germany or go to the UK where the borders are invincible and where the border agents have zero powers to turn people away.

Fun times ahead.

But in the UK sense, I'm not so sure. Labour was in charge for 13 years. They allowed millions of sri lankans, pakistanis, bangladeshis, Indians and others to come to the UK

without checking if they are holding genuine passports

without checking if they have real skills or genuine qualifications

without checking if they have links to terrorist groups

without checking if they have criminal records in their home countries

without checking if they have HIV/AIDS

Yes, you can disagree with your government but the problem is the ministers haven't got a clue about the issue at hand in the first place. You can disagree with the government but each time you do that it would be like taking two steps forward and then two steps back. It's not that your government doesn't want to listen to you. The truth is they're clueless. Look at them Ministers. They don't know what hardship is, they've never worked in real jobs like stacking shelves or being a rubbish collector etc. So they just make policy decisions and you the citizens will simply have to suck it up and live with it.

I just read up about Rotherham and wow this is shocking. How did the police not do anything when so many thousand girls were being treated worse than animals? But I still find it offensive that you would insinuate that there are only Muslim sex gangs thriving in UK.

The sexual predators are of varying nationalities, ethnicity and religion. It is not solely confined to Muslims alone. Yes the bad people in Rotherham sexual grooming of thousands of girls have been named and shamed and are now in jail but you can't just limit sexual grooming gangs to Muslims alone. That's an unfair observation.

Stop blaming Muslims for everything that goes wrong. There will be good and bad people in every religion, race and nationality.

The British government is very welcoming of people from across the world even if they're not genuine economic migrants or asylum seekers. David Cameron feels that it is ok for these people to come to UK and live off benefits from Day 1. He is fine with them not wanting to seek work, living in huge council houses, having multiple children, milking the NHS etc while the obedient British taxpayer foots the bill.

So it's not for either of you to say that David Cameron is wrong. Please respect the Prime Minister and stop blaming the Muslims.

Seriously Audrey do you copy and paste this? Respect if you can write all of this down from memory :wink:

And I never generalised Muslims. My main point was that some Muslims (and please note I said some so I'm not generalising) don't integrate as well as members from other religions. Rotherham is a great example to show it.

I'm not saying that Muslims are the only ones who will cause sex gangs. But its funny how the biggest and most scandalous sex ring in the UK was run by Muslims.
Original post by sr90
Yes - zero.

I'm all for skilled immigration by people who can contribute (Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers, Engineers etc), but anyone else shouldn't be allowed in. We're full.

Honestly I can't rep this enough. Being against uncontrolled immigration makes you racist apparently.
Of course we should, and we should stick it. Regardless of what other countries or international organisations say.

Original post by ABeingOnEarth
Did the UK have limits when Jewish refugees wanted to settle in the UK? No, so its exactly the same for Muslim refugees.

Different times, different circumstances. That's a false equivalence .
The ones stopped in their boat near Dover [I think it was Dover] were Albanians. Since when was Albania a country gripped by war or famine? They're just taking the piss. Oh and UKBA took them all in to process their asylum claims. How long is that going to take and how much money is the whole thing going to cost? To UK taxpayers. Just makes me so bloody angry. By all means help those fleeing conflict. But we can't take in half the world simply because they want to have a nice life in Blighty.
Original post by The Roast
Of course we should be giving refuge to those fleeing the war in Iraq/Syria, but only them.

We shouldn't, however, be taking the opportunistic scum leeching from our wealth and naive generosity.

Please refrain from making jokes about the Jews and their plight, your anti-semitism is showing.

How was I making jokes?
Original post by Grand High Witch
Interesting. So you think upwards of, say, 1 million would be acceptable? What about 2 million? 5 million?

Considering we have a limit of 4,000 a year for the enxt five years, then there isnt mych chance of getting up to 1,2, or 5 million.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending