The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dom2375
You need maths you don't need PE

So you don't need exercise? to learn to work as a team? to learn to be competitive? to burn off steam? to learn about fitness and how to keep a healthy body? Just because its not a written lesson, doesn't mean its not important. When are you going to need algebra or trigonometry outside school? Just because a few of you don't like it, doesn't mean it has to be banned.
I used to hate PE but now we choose what to play and I can do softball which is literally the best thing ever...

I never get competitive in anything really except from that lol
not everyone wants to be lazy like you lol
Original post by Dom2375
I hated PE having to play football every week with a bunch of try-hards who acted like it was the final of the World Cup was so annoying.

That is one of the things I really hated about high school PE to be fair. Our PE teachers took football far too seriously, and didn't even try to get those who didn't do it outside school to learn how to play. I didn't learn how to play until we'd already done several sessions of it, and I just observed everyone else playing. The teachers never thought to try telling me or anyone else what the rules are, yet they kept lecturing those who did badly for making mistakes that we didn't even know we'd made. (I rarely played football in primary school. We mainly played cricket and rounders in my primary)

Somehow, that was never a problem with any other sport, but football was indeed horrible.
As an ex-fat girl I'm actually 50/50.

Yep, without a doubt PE was the home to many horrific events in my school life and has lead to plenty of self-esteem issues and blah blah blah, so mainly due to the social exclusion, vulnerability of overweight kids, and just embarrassment I'm all for making it optional

Buuut imagine the room where all these kids who opted out of PE would go- and the place would be mostly overweight kids which such singles them out even more which is like a blank canvas to bullies who'd pick on them even more for not even taking part! I'd deffo sit out and read or revise (months leading up to exams I'd get dressed but bring out my revision stuff and hide it under my shirt and ask to go to the toilet and revise)

Tbh the main effect PE has on kids is their behaviour- moving around for half an hour twice a week won't combat childhood obesity, but I overheard some chavs discussing their options and claimed "Nah mate without PE my behaviour in school would just... ah idek, I just need to move to help my anger, init?" and they all nodded and said "Init" in agreement- so for that reason alone, I feel like PE should still be on the curriculum but god no not for sixth form don;t do that to me nope nein danke

Yay rant over off 2 watch interstellar bye
Original post by JordanHardy
So you don't need exercise? to learn to work as a team? to learn to be competitive? to burn off steam? to learn about fitness and how to keep a healthy body? Just because its not a written lesson, doesn't mean its not important. When are you going to need algebra or trigonometry outside school? Just because a few of you don't like it, doesn't mean it has to be banned.

You can do those things in your own time without being mocked for not being good at a sport and doesn't teach you to be a team, it's just popular kids stick together, then get angry that everybody else does hardly anything. Also, moving around for half an hour is hardly going combat childhood obesity.

Anyway, the average person is far more likely to use basic math skills (not algebra or trig) than play a sport, in their job.
Although i completely disagree with this, you obviously feel really strongly about this judging by your name lol
Original post by Dom2375
You can do those things in your own time without being mocked for not being good at a sport and doesn't teach you to be a team, it's just popular kids stick together, then get angry that everybody else does hardly anything. Also, moving around for half an hour is hardly going combat childhood obesity.

Anyway, the average person is far more likely to use basic math skills (not algebra or trig) than play a sport, in their job.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think you're only looking at it from one point of view. PE means a lot to some people as I'm sure your favourite lesson does to you.
Original post by Dom2375

Moving around for half an hour can combat childhood obesity though. That's half of your daily recommended exercise.

Assuming you have a decent diet, even just half an hour of exercise per day really can help you stay fit. It's certainly better than not doing any exercise at all.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think you're only looking at it from one point of view. PE means a lot to some people as I'm sure your favourite lesson does to you.

I don't think it should be banned I think it should be optional.
Everyone hates PE until they start getting out of breath going down the stairs.
Original post by Jazzyboy
Moving around for half an hour can combat childhood obesity though. That's half of your daily recommended exercise.

Assuming you have a decent diet, even just half an hour of exercise per day really can help you stay fit. It's certainly better than not doing any exercise at all.

Exactly. I think their problem is not with the lesson itself, but their own insecurities.
PE was scaring.

I love doing sport. I love gyming. I love rowing. I love running.

Just the way PE lessons were run and the really awful people make it a very unpleasant experience.

You clearly have a pro-PE view. To address some of the points that you make:
*We do need exercise but the compulsory PE in this country means that some schools can make it into a very unpleasant experience (bullying, being unappreciated, being inferior, etc.). Especially as it is taught from a young age, it can give many people somewhat traumatic experiences, creating a lot of the anti-PE views you see here. This is why many of the advantages you've stated are only applicable to some (albeit a majority) students.
*We never learned about fitness in my school. It might've been nice if we did.
*You're dismissing how skewed the economy is towards getting an office-based education. Obviously, PE won't give you as many skills as maths would. And I consider money to be important - getting a PE job is either a really good hit or a depressing miss, to my knowledge.
*You're right, pure maths has much less practical benefits. On the other hand, they give you other benefits which are, at the very least, equal to PE.
*I don't think that it should be banned either - that would be going against the interests of...people like you. It should be improved to accommodate for all skill levels, in the direction of how maths is now (or better!).

Despite going against many of your points, I am trying to strike a neutral viewpoint. You should consider the experiences of those who don't like PE, and why they don't. I think that PE should simply be improved ultimately.
Reply 74
Original post by Incongruous
Just the way PE lessons were run and the really awful people make it a very unpleasant experience.

Definitely.
When I was in Year 11 the girls' team ended up playing dodgeball with the boys. They were throwing the balls so hard that one of them broke my finger. Teacher sent me out and carried on with the game being violent. Oh well!
Being unhealthy is also a selfish option - you're just contributing to the demise of healthy humans.

Being unhealthy is just stupid. Sorry.
Go to America, you will fit in there, I mean squeeze in there lol they're obese af I have a cousin there who is only around 10 that would make Big show look skinny
"Being healthy doesn't come from healthy foods, it comes from being free and eat whatever you like. Happiness is healthy not healthy eating"

There is nothing wrong with being fat, but making a trend and saying its better than being fit is just crossing the line
i have a really great reason for not banning it

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Why don't they have a sports club in the schools so that the kids who like sports can go, and the ones who don't can avoid it, instead of it being a compulsory subject? That way you could please everyone.

Latest