The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Why is UCL and KCL so lowly ranked in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingYusHalo
I think I should. Since I am an international, who is 99% going to work NOT in the UK, I don't think UK league table differences matter to me much.
UCL is ranked 18 in ARWU and 7 in QS
Warwick is ranked 92 in ARWU and 48 in QS

There is a big difference there and thus UCL should be a better degree for me if I work in the US

Warwick tends to be well looked upon in the UK.

You pretty much can't go wrong with the International tables. It is not like they usually have some strange jumps/results.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
I think I should. Since I am an international, who is 99% going to work NOT in the UK, I don't think UK league table differences matter to me much.

There is a big difference there and thus UCL should be a better degree for me if I work in the US

What course? I imagine that there wouldn't be much of a difference between those two in international prestige for maths, economics, physics etc.
Original post by sweeneyrod
What course? I imagine that there wouldn't be much of a difference between those two in international prestige for maths, economics, physics etc.

Overall rankings in no particular subject
Overall rankings in no particular subject

The course is still relevant, but I think although some universities (UCL, KCL and Manchester specifically) might be higher ranked internationally than in the UK, there still isn't much of a difference between them and Warwick, Bristol, Edinburgh etc.

Lol.....

Your logic is flawed. No US employer looks up rankings and says 'Oh, would you fancy that? The godly ARWU says UCL churns out more research papers, I should immediately hire this UCL guy over that Warwick guy, because obviously the uni churning out research papers will produce better equipped undergrads for my company (seeeeeee the lack of looogicc????).' Please. Recruiters could not give two craps for the most part unless you have an Oxbridge or Ivy League+ degree, they will not give you kudos points because of a ranking position.

If we're talking about 'top' employers, then they will have a feel for university brand names based on their prior hires or team make ups. In the US, both Warwick and UCL show up healthily in the finance realm as a lot of their grads go on to get MBAs in the states or transfer from european offices. Everywhere else will no doubt, not care and will be looking for tangible experience on your CV.

Your type of thinking is misguided at best, the collosal leap of logic following 'and thus' was unbearable.

P.S. Incongruous was spot on in their analysis. There are general 'bands' of university reputation, whatever uni you choose within that band will not affect you greatly prospects wise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Food Science is a pretty solid degree, don't knock it dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't tell if you're serious now. :p:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Can't tell if you're serious now. :p:

I'm legit. The obesity epidemic across the world will cause an increase in demand for dieticians and nutritionists as people try to combat the weight gain. The NHS actually has a lot of positions available for these types of jobs as well as private clinics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Food Science is a pretty solid degree, don't knock it dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

dont forget david beckham studies. :rofl:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

Bro, it wasn't sarcasm. Food Science is a very solid degree...
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

Why do you not think food science is a good degree? Nutrition and Dietetics, the degree that I wish to persue, is a very relevant degree in today's society seeing as we are all unhealthy and obesity is taking over. Personally I think food science is a very credible field to go into at this point in time. The need for dieticians and food researchers is rising, therefore there are many jobs in this sector. Not to mention it's incredibly interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would argue that in most cases overall rankings are not very useful at all and that if you are going to use any rankings it should be within the subject you intend to study. I wouldn't have thought a good employer would pay very much attention to how your university ranks as an overall institution and would be much more concerned with the quality of your degree (or even better, the quality of the applicant), which will be within a specfic subject. Perhaps it is different in the USA due to their whole liberal arts thing but if an employer doesn't understand how universities work in the country you've studied in I wouldn't classify them as 'good'.
Original post by KatieAlicexxx
Why do you not think food science is a good degree? Nutrition and Dietetics, the degree that I wish to persue, is a very relevant degree in today's society seeing as we are all unhealthy and obesity is taking over. Personally I think food science is a very credible field to go into at this point in time. The need for dieticians and food researchers is rising, therefore there are many jobs in this sector. Not to mention it's incredibly interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry. I didn't expect to get triggered responses :lol:

Fair enough, you make valid points contrary to David Beckham graduates. :tongue:
I disagree, as a KCL alumni of 2017 I am astonished with my fellow grads. In my experience KCL has some of the best lecturers available - the problem in my view, is the students. It is a chorus of *****ing. Complaining their worked to hard etc. It really frustrates me. King’s students are among the worst, and tbh I get the same impression from a lot of LSE and some (not as many) UCL students. A lot of the frustration comes with living in the most expensive city in the UK and feeling that pressure all the time. King’s is brilliant if you’re willing to work hard. It is a school which fundamentally cares about academic achievement and all its student services are geared toward helping you achieve that. Need more money? No problem. More time? No problem. You want to get pissed all week? Not so good. But when I compare my degree, (who taught it, how you’re assessed, readings per week, availability of resources, what was covered and finally wider academic networks etc.) I find 80% of other institutions laughable. That’s within the UK. Talk to anyone from UCL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending