The Student Room Group

I enjoyed the new Top Gear. It feels more accessible

I am not into cars, but I thought I would check out the new Top Gear simply due to all the controversy surrounding it.

And I actually enjoyed it - it was quite interesting, funny and enjoyable. I had seen the old Top Gear and, frankly, it seemed more for middle-aged men who got the in-jokes of Clarkson and co. This Top Gear feels a bit more accessible to a wider audience.

Views?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It has changed its target audience and should be rebranded as that isn't top gear.

A quick look on Twitter shows this as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Must be a :troll: it was terrible.
Heh getting slated at the moment. Tbh it should be given a reasonable amount of time. Plenty of people waiting for it to fail. Evans didnt do well.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Heh getting slated at the moment. Tbh it should be given a reasonable amount of time. Plenty of people waiting for it to fail. Evans didnt do well.

Evans is a reprehensible human being, so I will him to fail at everything, up to and including, breathing.
I was one of the few who were looking forward to it!
I was super pumped up after the Indy 500 so it was gonna take something really bad to make me unhappy!

I liked it! It wasnt as good as when the other 3 did it but it wasnt too bad.
I dont like Chris Evans though. I found him a bit annoying really.
Plus the Star in A Reasonably Priced Car (or not so reasonably priced in this case) a bit rubbish really. I prefered it when it was just a lap of the track.

I love cars and this is just another car show for me!
Cant complain too much!

6/10 So far!
I found Matt Leblanc a little dull. What I mean by that is firstly he sounds incredibly monotone during the voice overs, but his reactions to the things chris Evans says feel forced. There is certainly a lack of chemistry there and Chris comes across as overly enthusiastic and he tries too hard to create banter with Leblanc.

I thought Chris Evans' review of the cars ie when he drove them at the start was too similar to the way Jeremy did it, but worse. He tried to copy Jeremy's presenting style there by shouting in the car and as it accelerated etc.

The three wheeled car segment was supposed to be the funny bit, the part they added to try and recreate the humour that old top gear was famous for.
I thought the idea of driving the cars to Blackpool was OK. But I didn't find it funny, there was no real humour and banter between the presenters and I almost feel that Matts car was purposely made to break down several times because again, that is what happened on old top gear. I wouldn't have been surprised if Chris Evans had announced he was "going to just drive away" and leave Leblanc to fiddle with the engine in true top gear style.

I thought the challenges in Blackpool were poor. Seeing who's could go faster down that stretch of the beach was not exciting at all. Getting the mayor or whoever it was involved was again a poor attempt to create comedy. The tug of war was destined to fail given the fact you have two fairly heavy cars on sand.

The worst part was possibly the star in the rally cross car. I don't know why he got that Jessie bloke to come on WITH Gordon Ramsey? The two are unrelated and usually the only time two people come on is once in a blue moon and if they both have the same job like two news presenters or Cameron Diaz and Tom cruise because they have done films together. Perhaps new top gear couldn't have one star as it would mean Chris Evans would have to find more interesting things to talk about to that individual and we know now that is a struggle. The audience cheering (clearly forced by Chris swearing at them before the cameras started rolling) was bad. No one cares who had the better first car?

Overall it was in my opinion not good. I found about 2% of it mildly amusing but I don't know if that was genuine amusement of just me laughing at the awkwardness of what I have just watched.
Original post by The Rusty Spork
Evans is a reprehensible human being, so I will him to fail at everything, up to and including, breathing.

So really your mind was made up.

Im ambivalent. Think theres room for both to be a success. Cant see why fans of the original are so bothered. they had no choice but to sack Clarkson.
Reply 8

Im ambivalent. Think theres room for both to be a success. Cant see why fans of the original are so bothered. they had no choice but to sack Clarkson.

You always have a choice.

They tried way too hard to make it like the old top gear but they don't have the presenters for it and Chris Evans' voice is annoying I would of turned it off but there was nothing worth watching.
Original post by joecphillips
It has changed its target audience and should be rebranded as that isn't top gear.

is presumably what was said when Noel Edmunds took over from Angela Rippon.
Reply 10

Even despite Evans and his very existence, the show just doesn't feel right. It's early on but Matt LeBlanc has always been a bit bland outside of playing Joey, so trying to pair him up with an over-exuberant child is not likely to work well.

Only having two hosts doesn't seem to work too well and it just feels wrong having a US host, especially if they continue with the US/UK challenges, jokes, comments. They became boring about a decade ago on television.

They tried way too hard to make it like the old top gear but they don't have the presenters for it and Chris Evans' voice is annoying I would of turned it off but there was nothing worth watching.

They had no choice and Clarkson knew it. You cnat go round assaulting your work colleagues. simplez.

if your boss punched you in the face after a tirade of abuse, you would want him sacked. And you would get your want.

He would anyway be sacked whether you wanted it or not. That's instant dismissal in any company in the UK.
Original post by The Rusty Spork
Even despite Evans and his very existence, the show just doesn't feel right. It's early on but Matt LeBlanc has always been a bit bland outside of playing Joey, so trying to pair him up with an over-exuberant child is not likely to work well.

Only having two hosts doesn't seem to work too well and it just feels wrong having a US host, especially if they continue with the US/UK challenges, jokes, comments. They became boring about a decade ago on television.

Arent there meant to be at least another four hosts/ id give it time and see. It might be awful but its a bit soon to be making your mind up. So many people are willing it to fail. You cna syill watch the Grand Tour when that comes out.
Reply 14
They had no choice and Clarkson knew it. You cnat go round assaulting your work colleagues. simplez.

Original post by cambio wechsel
if your boss punched you in the face after a tirade of abuse, you would want him sacked. And you would get your want.

He would anyway be sacked whether you wanted it or not. That's instant dismissal in any company in the UK.

In the real world you can't but these celebrities can do just about anything and there are plenty of examples of this type of thing happening
From an employers point of view assaulting a collegaue is an offence of gross negligence and instant dismissal. Go and try it in your workplace when you graduate (if you arent already) and see how far that gets you. Im only pointing out that wanting it to fail is pretty pathetic.

You should than the BBC becayse now you cna watch the Grand Tour, they get paid even more meoney and have even more freedom to make a program they wnat without any editorial restrictions.
I didn't think I would like the new top gear, but it was actually quite enjoyable to hear Matt LeBlanc give his take on top gear, he's a very funny guy. However I have two main problems with new Top gear; number 1. I feel like their trying to copy old top gear in the sense of the challenges and number 2. I didn't much like Chris Evans presenting because, I get the sense he's not a very nice person and this is just not by watching him on top gear either, I have always believed he's quite nasty and I got the impression he was shouting at the audience and the camera ALL the way through. Anyone get the same impression?
In the real world you can't but these celebrities can do just about anything and there are plenty of examples of this type of thing happening

You really cant once it had got out what he had done and the police were involved.
my biggest problem with it was that they tried too hard to be the 'old' top gear whereas they really should be looking to reinvent the show as something 'new', the only part i enjoyed was the top gun music lol
Reply 19
You really cant once it had got out what he had done and the police were involved.

There are examples of similar happening without people losing their jobs

Wesley snipes blade trinity tried to strangle the director
Tom Sizemore and val Kilmer 50lb weights were thrown and one of them got hit
Ed Harris apparently hit James Cameron on set

Quick Reply

Latest