The Student Room Group

feel awful

Hi everyone, I'm doing my GCSE's at the moment and I've already completed half of them and I feel like I've messed up so badly. My parent's expectations are extremely high and I seriously don't think I'll be able to meet them this August. I've been feeling very depressed and hopeless for the rest of my exams after half term. I think I may be having mental problems due to the stress. Can anyone offer any advice on what I should do? Should I see a doctor? Should I try and work this out myself? and if so, in what ways can I work this out myself?
Original post by romanysmith
Hi everyone, I'm doing my GCSE's at the moment and I've already completed half of them and I feel like I've messed up so badly. My parent's expectations are extremely high and I seriously don't think I'll be able to meet them this August. I've been feeling very depressed and hopeless for the rest of my exams after half term. I think I may be having mental problems due to the stress. Can anyone offer any advice on what I should do? Should I see a doctor? Should I try and work this out myself? and if so, in what ways can I work this out myself?

Let your parents know how you're struggling and feeling unhappy.

In a lot of cases people misinterpret their parents expectations and put a lot of pressure on themselves....or a parent doesn't understand how much pressure they're putting on their child and would be horrified to find that they're adding additional stress.

It sounds like parental expectations are the key multiplying factor in how you're feeling and that's a really simple thing to diffuse with a conversation or two.
It's good to have good GCSEs but ultimately all that they prove is that you're good enough for the next level of study. If you choose not to resit any subjects then go straight to job searching and earn your career with a few years of experience by the time your uni - bound peers graduate. I'm speaking as a graduate myself with only three months of work since leaving

Quick Reply

Latest