The Student Room Group

I'm an atheist AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by markreed
Does the prospect of there being nothing after death scare you?

I'm an atheist and the prospect of there being nothing after death calms me actually.
Reply 121
Original post by davidguettafan
Does anyone else honestly know what feeling "spiritual" is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it's a personal thing a belief in something extraordinary happening to yourself something like reaching puberty a revelation of there being more to yourself than you first realised.
Original post by Alexi Brailey
I am an atheist and i understand that there is a small chance that god exists. However, it doesn't mean that the chances are 50/50. Natural selection provides a clear alternative to ID which has more evidence (fossil record showing small changes leading to modern day life). The Big Bang provides an alternative to creationism with more evidence (cosmic microwave background radiation). There is a more rational explanation with more evidence for almost all hypothesises that the bible presents. Therefore the nalance of probability lies with atheism as there is little evidence for any predictions that come from the bible. Fruthermore if creationism, ID and other predictions from the bible can be countered, it is unlikely that other predictions, like god, are true. This is why I am an atheist

I'm sorry but there are no fossil records that can be shown in a way you cite. There are many many different kinds of fossils but there is no evidence one led to anther.
Original post by Racoon
I'm sorry but there are no fossil records that can be shown in a way you cite. There are many many different kinds of fossils but there is no evidence one led to anther.

Really? Pretty sure there is.
Reply 124
Original post by Racoon

What a ridiculous statement.
Original post by champ_mc99
I don't see a difference. An athiest isn't 100% certain.

Agnosticism is a statement of knowledge whereas Atheism is a statement of belief. (Not all beliefs require faith btw)
The two are not mutually exclusive.

However while no one can be 100% sure that God doesn't exist, equally no one can say with 100% certainty that God does exist.

Therefore we are all agnostic, about everything and so the label is redundant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 126
Original post by caitrionacarson
Agnosticism is a statement of knowledge whereas Atheism is a statement of belief. (Not all beliefs require faith btw)

However while no one can be 100% sure that God doesn't exist, equally no one can say with 100% certainty that God does exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would oc take the decision out of our hands to believe what we want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really, being atheist is not saying that I will never believe in a god in a god, if jesus/thor/mars/allah came down infront of me and said hey dude, I am real and I could see he was real I would believe in him but since nothing of any proof has ever happened the conclusion that gods do not exist is fair.

Just like science we believe in fact and evidence
Original post by AperfectBalance
Not really, being atheist is not saying that I will never believe in a god in a god, if jesus/thor/mars/allah came down infront of me and said hey dude, I am real and I could see he was real I would believe in him but since nothing of any proof has ever happened the conclusion that gods do not exist is fair.

Just like science we believe in fact and evidence

If you look up the definition of Atheism. It is simply a lack of belief.

I'm an Atheist and if the above scenario happened to me of course I would believe. (After questioning my sanity of course)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 129
I think you need to look up the definition of Atheism. It is simply a lack of belief.

I'm an Atheist and if the above scenario happened to me of course I would believe. (After questioning my sanity of course)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah atheists believe in humanity.
I think you need to look up the definition of Atheism. It is simply a lack of belief.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude that is exactly what I am saying
Original post by AperfectBalance
Dude that is exactly what I am saying

Yeah, my bad. I read the not really and thought you were saying the opposite. Hahaha
Realised as soon as I posted it.
Really? Pretty sure there is.

Please show me some examples.
Original post by Racoon
Please show me some examples.

I'm not too knowledgeable on this subject but here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin%27s_finches
Original post by george_c00per
I'm an atheist and the prospect of there being nothing after death calms me actually.

Really? Could you tell me why that is?

I mean, I suppose we never knew what it meant to exist before we were born and we weren't scared then, so why should we be scared when we die when it could be the same kind of nothingness?

But I guess it's just the thought of having all the possibilities that life gives you taken away which scares me. Maybe I'm just scared of things being taken from me :dontknow:
Original post by markreed
Really? Could you tell me why that is?

I mean, I suppose we never knew what it meant to exist before we were born and we weren't scared then, so why should we be scared when we die when it could be the same kind of nothingness?

But I guess it's just the thought of having all the possibilities that life gives you taken away which scares me. Maybe I'm just scared of things being taken from me :dontknow:

I think just the thought that I will not be aware of being dead kind of calms me, I think that if I knew that I aren't on earth anymore would upset me as I'd be annoyed at the things I didn't accomplish etc.
Original post by george_c00per
I think just the thought that I will not be aware of being dead kind of calms me, I think that if I knew that I aren't on earth anymore would upset me as I'd be annoyed at the things I didn't accomplish etc.

Yeah I get where you're coming from. Its kind of like an "ignorance is bliss" kinda thing. We aren't conscious of being dead when we are so why be scared?

I suppose its because I know what it's like to be conscious now that I'm scared haha.
I'm not too knowledgeable on this subject but here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin%27s_finches

Please, without looking at the link, explain to me why you have put your eternal destiny into this train of thought without doing your own research?
Original post by Racoon
Please, without looking at the link, explain to me why you have put your eternal destiny into this train of thought without doing your own research?

Evidence?
Original post by Racoon

What research have you done to influence your eternal destiny?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest