The Student Room Group

Am I the only one who doesn't care about #JusticeForHarambe's death?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36410841

You might know that a 400lb (180kg) gorilla was shot dead at a Cincinnati zoo the other day after a 4-year old boy fell down into the enclosure.

There was an inevitable outpour of grief on Twitter claiming the gorilla was only "protecting" the boy and "not dragging him around to kill".

I believe the zookeepers made the right choice to shoot the animal.

It was indeed a life-threatening situation, and, due to to the gorilla's unpredictability, no risk could've been taken.

I agree, however, that the parents should take some responsability.

Scroll to see replies

Because screaming tourists are so much more threatening than a gorilla.
I think it's not that people care about the actual death but that the parents were held in no way accountable for it.
It was simply their fault not watching their own child.
I hope they have to pay a fine to make up for the Zoo's costs and lost revenue or it's completely unfair on the zoo.
Who cares about what you care about?
Original post by BirdIsWord
I think it's not that people care about the actual death but that the parents were held in no way accountable for it.
I hope they have to pay a fine to make up for the Zoo's costs and lost revenue or it's completely unfair on the zoo.

Completely agree with this.
The small time frame of not watching the child has led to this. The parents should be taking responsibility and not feel blameless about the whole situation.
Reply 5
Original post by The Roast

You might know that a 400lb (180kg) gorilla was shot dead at a Cincinnati zoo the other day after a 4-year old boy fell down into the enclosure.

There was an inevitable outpour of grief on Twitter claiming the gorilla was only "protecting" the boy and "not dragging him around to kill".

It was indeed a life-threatening situation, and, due to to the gorilla's unpredictability, no risk could've been taken.

1.) First of all why was the boy even able to get in??

2.) Secondly, why weren't the parents SUPERVISING their child?? Why was the child able to get so close and then even get through? Were they not watching?!

3.) Thirdly, the gorilla wasn't actually causing the child harm was it? The gorilla could have been tranquilised instead. If it was causing harm then of course it is understandable but it actually wasn't but the above two points are my main concern. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W-CMxMv34_A
(edited 7 years ago)
If the zookeepers did nothing and the gorilla inadvertently ripped the child's arm off, I bet the same people who are crying over the gorilla will be up in arms in anger.

And the people who say they should have sedated the gorilla obviously watch too many movies and not enough Attenborough.

It is indeed a shame that the gorilla was killed but like you said, it was the only course of action.
Good accurate shooting. I'm glad the child wasn't hit by a stray round.

I disagree on the Gorilla being tranq'd, when someone's life is in danger, you don't mess around.

There are some serious questions about child-safety that need to be answered.
Reply 8
Shouldn't their first priority be to keep their animals safe?

Apparently the kid was in there for quite a long time, why not just tranq him, yea sure it takes time, but the time it took for you to make the decision to kill him was surely longer.
Reply 9
Original post by _Xenon_
1.) First of all why was the boy even able to get in?? Why was the gap large enough for a child to get through?!

2.) Secondly, why weren't the parents SUPERVISING their child?? Why was the child able to get so close and then even get through? Were they not watching?!

3.) Thirdly, the gorilla wasn't actually causing the child harm was it? The gorilla could have been tranquilised instead. If it was causing harm then of course it is understandable but it actually wasn't but the above two points are my main concern.

The gorilla was dragging the boy around, you simply cannot deny the kid was at risk.

Two lions were shot at a zoon in Chile when some suicidal chump jump in, they were shot as they were maiming the guy. Some people think that was "over the top" too.

You cannot risk anything with unpredictable animals - ever.
Reply 10
Original post by BirdIsWord

They've got a weird way of showing it.
Original post by inhuman
Shouldn't their first priority be to keep their animals safe?

Apparently the kid was in there for quite a long time, why not just tranq him, yea sure it takes time, but the time it took for you to make the decision to kill him was surely longer.

It's not just a matter of time. The tranq wasn't guaranteed to work (considering the gorilla was already agitated) and even if it did work, the gorilla was not going to react calmly to being shot with a dart.
The gorilla was dragging the boy around, you simply cannot deny the kid was at risk.

Two lions were shot at a zoon in Chile when some suicidal chump jump in, they were shot as they were maiming the guy. Some people think that was "over the top" too.

You cannot risk anything with unpredictable animals - ever.

They should've tranquilised it straight away rather than spend time making the decision whether or not to shoot. Surely the tranquilser would have taken effect by this time. (?)
I do think the whole thing is pretty sad. Honestly, I'd say that yes, the parents are at fault as if they decide to take their kids to a place where it's vital that they're carefully watched over then they should do so - obviously, this wasn't the case because of what happened. To me then the Gorilla's death is primarily their fault, as its them not watching their child that lead to the whole situation occurring.

As for what the zoo did, I guess it was just seen to be quicker and safer to kill the Gorilla before it could hurt the child. Using a tranquilliser would have most likely just angered the animal, putting the child in more danger whilst it was still conscious. It's a huge shame that this had to happen because of it being an endangered animal and the fact that there'd been no other incidents regarding the gorilla till that day. However, I guess it comes down to the argument of which life is worth more really - thinking about it, the zoo would have been in far more trouble if the child had been killed, but at the end of the day I still pin the blame on the parents. The zoo just did what they thought was best both for the safety of the visitors and themselves.

I want to be a zoologist in the future and I know I'd be pretty damn upset if an animal I'd worked with was killed because of the mistakes of visitors, but we just have to hope that things like this stay a rare occurrence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Damn I didn't realise how long that was gonna be when I was writing it, apologies 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile

The animals in the zoo are mostly wild, unpredictable animals, its in their nature to do this. Humans should not go in there thinking they are just like pets. The zoo should also have had more protection for tourists, they should have been educated enough to know the dangers even if the tourists weren't. I don't think the gorilla should have been shot, maybe just relocated to somewhere safer. Couldn't they have used tranquilliser darts if they are saying they did it to protect the boy?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Supersaps
There are some serious questions about child-safety that need to be answered.

They probably could have been watching him more closely but kids wander off and get lost ALL the time. It just so happens that this time, the consequences were tragic. The barriers really should have been strong enough to keep a four year old out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
The parents should be prosecuted. Under English law it would have been their fault entirely, and that's exactly how it should generally be with a child that young.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Had the gorilla mauled or killed the little boy and the zookeepers had not shot him there would have been collective outrage over the zookeepers not doing anything. It wasn't a pleasant situation either way but I believe the zookeepers chose the lesser of two evils option. They don't deserve condemnation, the parents do
Original post by Shumaya
They probably could have been watching him more closely but kids wander off and get lost ALL the time. It just so happens that this time, the consequences were tragic. The barriers really should have been strong enough to keep at four year old out.

Right. I'm not necessarily laying the blame with the parents but there are questions that need to be asked to both the zoo and the parents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending