The Student Room Group

Myth-Busting Mondays: How many marriages end in divorce in the UK?

Poll

How many marriages end in divorce in the UK?

It's not the cheeriest of topics, but an important one! We are likely to know at least one couple who have divorced, so...

Use the poll to vote the percentage of marriages you think end in divorce in the UK - the answer will be revealed on Tuesday!

Do you think people are too quick to marry or divorce? Is marriage important to you? Do you think marriage is as valuable nowadays?

Note: you can post anonymously in this thread.

If you have any helpful links or advice please post these below. If you have been affected by divorce and need some help, check out the links below:

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

As a Christian i subscribe to marriage for life. Just so you know.
Original post by the bear
As a Christian i subscribe to marriage for life. Just so you know.

I know quite a lot of Christians who have got divorced. Is this something you view as wrong?
Original post by BurstingBubbles
I know quite a lot of Christians who have got divorced. Is this something you view as wrong?

of course :h:
I dont think people are too quick to marry or divorce these days (all the engagements of my family and friends have been pretty long ones, i'd like mine to be slightly on the shorter side though:P and divorces take a long time to go through the courts so there's always plenty of time to think over that decision).
From recently starting work in a jewellers from what i've seen the shortest relationship before getting engaged i've seen was 18 months, most people appear to wait many years before doing so.

I think less people do it these days but from my point of view marriage is still are very valuable thing to do, both as a sign of commitment and for its legal benefits, such as sharing your tax allowance and mortgages being much easier to sort out.Especially after my parents not being married when my dad passed, i realized how difficult it is for partners to have to suddenly provide for their family alone when they can't access any of their partners assest for months even with a will.

Although this is a very contraversial opinion of mine, i have always wondered if people wanting to have an expensive wedding puts pressure on the couple as newly weds as they've suddenly spent a lot of cash on the one day and that could have a negative effect on the relationship, not saying wedding debt means people end up wanting a divorce because of finances but i dont think spending a lot of money on a wedding is a particularly good idea.

I happen to know the stat after all the cynical users on here like to post it as as a reason for not bothering to get married, like that stat means your personal relationship wont work out -_-

It's not the cheeriest of topics, but an important one! We are likely to know at least one couple who have divorced, so...Use the poll to vote the percentage of marriages you think end in divorce in the UK - the answer will be revealed on Tuesday!Do you think people are too quick to marry or divorce? Is marriage important to you? Do you think marriage is as valuable nowadays?
Note: you can post anonymously in this thread.If you have any helpful links or advice please post these below. If you have been affected by divorce and need some help, check out the links below:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Why? :tongue:
Original post by claireestelle
Although this is a very contraversial opinion of mine, i have always wondered if people wanting to have an expensive wedding puts pressure on the couple as newly weds as they've suddenly spent a lot of cash on the one day and that could have a negative effect on the relationship, not saying wedding debt means people end up wanting a divorce because of finances but i dont think spending a lot of money on a wedding is a particularly good idea.

I've never understood why people will spend 10k+ on a wedding (including ring/honeymoon) only to then moan that they can't afford a house deposit. There are people I work with who got married years ago and they're still in debt created by getting married.
(edited 7 years ago)

So you advocate some couples staying in unhappy, miserable (and sometimes abusive) marriages just for the sake of religion?
Reply 8
Thank god my mum divorced my father he was such a useless scumbag.
Original post by sr90
I've never understood why people will spend 10k+ on a wedding (including ring/honeymoon) only to then moan that they can't afford a house deposit. There are people I work with who got married years ago and they're still in debt created by getting married.

My thoughts exactly, we're intending on getting married by ourselves (and hopefully still able to do it in a hotel) and get the honeymoon for under 3k so we can still afford a house deposit in a reasonable amount of time after we're married, my mums wedding was less than 4k and she still really enjoyed her day :smile: I'd hate to start married life in debt, how much did your colleagues spend if they're still paying it off?!
I don't personally know anyone who is divorced.
Original post by shadowdweller
Why? :tongue:

Because marriage is many things. Including, the foundation of a functional society.

If you want your children to be healthier, wealthier & happier, the best way to do that is to have a father at home. (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; ASEP Issue Brief: Information on Poverty and Income Statistics. September 12, 2012, Source: Hofferth, S. L. (2006). Residential father family type and child well-being: investment versus selection. Demography, 43, 53-78.)

And the best way to have a father at home is for men to be in committed marriages.

With the breakdown of marriage, comes the breaking of children. If you break your children, you get a messed up society. We are reaping the consequences of our broken society everyday.

Obviously, there are cases where parents need to separate and live apart when it's an abusive situation but even then I don't think you should get divorced. You made your vows and you should keep them no matter what. Otherwise what's the point of making them?

SS
(edited 7 years ago)
It's not the cheeriest of topics, but an important one! We are likely to know at least one couple who have divorced, so...

Use the poll to vote the percentage of marriages you think end in divorce in the UK - the answer will be revealed on Tuesday!

Do you think people are too quick to marry or divorce? Is marriage important to you? Do you think marriage is as valuable nowadays?

Note: you can post anonymously in this thread.

If you have any helpful links or advice please post these below. If you have been affected by divorce and need some help, check out the links below:

Spoiler

tuesday! pm me the answer now.
I'll ask a question back.

What's the point of a vow that you can break when things get difficult?
I think that people need to cohabit for a bit longer before they decide to commit and marry - because, you know, marriage is meant to be for life. I do also acknowledge that this is happening more and more as time goes on as both men and women marry at a later age. (37 for men, and about 34 for women).

But as a Catholic, I'm not supposed to believe in divorce as that's not allowed in the faith. But I think certain laws can be relaxed a bit to support modern life more (people not having children or preventing others from practising their faith are two reasons you can have an "annulment" - but I think it should actually be a real divorce).
Reply 15

Religious people are usually very self righteous and judgemental.
Reply 16
Original post by trustmeimlying1
tuesday! pm me the answer now.

Or just look up the answer yourself.
Original post by claireestelle
My thoughts exactly, we're intending on getting married by ourselves (and hopefully still able to do it in a hotel) and get the honeymoon for under 3k so we can still afford a house deposit in a reasonable amount of time after we're married, my mums wedding was less than 4k and she still really enjoyed her day :smile: I'd hate to start married life in debt, how much did your colleagues spend if they're still paying it off?!

I didn't feel it appropriate to ask tbh. We're not exactly on a poor salary either (£25k-28k).
Original post by sr90
I didn't feel it appropriate to ask tbh. We're not exactly on a poor salary either (£25k-28k).

Maybe they decided a years salary was appropriate :tongue:
Original post by Maker
Religious people are usually very self righteous and judgemental.

Attachment not found

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending