The Student Room Group

I'm actually TERRIBLE at Maths

I used to get A's on my past papers and because i was on my own and no help in the exam i came out with 40 marks wtf.
NOW i'm doing these calculator papers and i get no more than 48... wtf should i do?
I need 70 marks on calc for a B grade and i NEED a B Grade to do a course in college next year.
What should i do? Please help
Reply 1
Original post by Divinchi
I used to get A's on my past papers and because i was on my own and no help in the exam i came out with 40 marks wtf.
NOW i'm doing these calculator papers and i get no more than 48... wtf should i do?
I need 70 marks on calc for a B grade and i NEED a B Grade to do a course in college next year.

This is so peak fam LOOOL

When is your next maths exam?
Reply 2
Original post by Naruke
This is so peak fam LOOOL

When is your next maths exam?

9th June :frown:
Reply 3
9th June :frown:

It's very possible then. What sort of questions do you keep getting wrong?
Reply 4
Original post by Naruke
It's very possible then. What sort of questions do you keep getting wrong?

dude those dam worded questions really mess the whole paper up for me.
I get the maths but the worded questions dam..
I'll give you an example:

http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/GCSE%20Revision/Past%20Papers/12.%20November%202013/2hnov2013ans.pdf

Q.13
Reply 5

Well............... That's the whole point of exams :colonhash:
Reply 6
Lol so you used to cheat haha. :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by _Xenon_
Lol so you used to cheat haha. :tongue:

nah my tutor helped me
Reply 8
nah my tutor helped me

Oh OK, lol.
Which exam board is this
Reply 9
Original post by _Xenon_
Oh OK, lol.
Which exam board is this

Edexcel
Reply 10

http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/GCSE%20Revision/Past%20Papers/12.%20November%202013/2hnov2013ans.pdf

Q.13

Practice becomes perfect with these types of questions

Just remember with these types of questions the working always comes down to something like this

I'm going to let miles = M and minutes = m (note the upper and lower case letters)

The girl says 'We will have to drive faster than the speed limit to go 30 miles in 26 minutes'

70M = 60m (1 hour) [70mph]
if we divide both sides by 60, we will find how long we are allowed to travel per minute
70M60=60m60 \frac{70M}{60} = \frac{60m}{60}
7M6=1m \frac{7M}{6} = 1m so we are allowed to travel 7/6 miles in 1 minute.
if we multiply this by 26 to see how far we would be allowed to travel in 26 minutes we get 91M3=26m \frac{91M}{3} = 26m

Now what I have shown is that in 26minutes we will travel 30.333333 miles, now this contradicts with what she said, as she says: "We will have to drive faster than the speed limit to go 30 miles in 26 minutes" But I've shown that in 26 minutes if you drive at the speed limit you'll go beyond 30 miles
Reply 11
Edexcel

Like someone else suggested CorbettMaths is your best hope. The thing is with CorbettMaths there are many video tutorials and worksheets to go through but you have little time. So, you'd need to dedicate a lot of time to them.

Any other questions you are not sure about show me?
Reply 12
Original post by Naruke
Practice becomes perfect with these types of questions

Just remember with these types of questions the working always comes down to something like this

I'm going to let miles = M and minutes = m (note the upper and lower case letters)

The girl says 'We will have to drive faster than the speed limit to go 30 miles in 26 minutes'

70M = 60m (1 hour) [70mph]
if we divide both sides by 60, we will find how long we are allowed to travel per minute
70M60=60m60 \frac{70M}{60} = \frac{60m}{60}
7M6=1m \frac{7M}{6} = 1m so we are allowed to travel 7/6 miles in 1 minute.
if we multiply this by 26 to see how far we would be allowed to travel in 26 minutes we get 91M3=26m \frac{91M}{3} = 26m

Now what I have shown is that in 26minutes we will travel 30.333333 miles, now this contradicts with what she said, as she says: "We will have to drive faster than the speed limit to go 30 miles in 26 minutes" But I've shown that in 26 minutes if you drive at the speed limit you'll go beyond 30 miles

what if i did 70/60 and 60/60 and times both by 26 is that the same thing or not?
Reply 13
what if i did 70/60 and 60/60 and times both by 26 is that the same thing or not?

Yes, but you want to show the examiner you know what you're actually doing so going in steps like this means your examiner wont steal no marks from you.
Reply 14
Original post by Naruke
Yes, but you want to show the examiner you know what you're actually doing so going in steps like this means your examiner wont steal no marks from you.

Oh alright, thanks man

Q.13

Worded questions confuse me sometimes as well, someone gave me the idea to write down all the pieces of information in the question as I am reading the question so it is easier to work out.

Quick Reply

Latest