The Student Room Group

AQA AS 2016 - CHEM1 (Resit) Unoffical Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chembio123
e) Shapes question - SF6 = Octohedral , 90 degrees -SF4 = See-Saw shape. Lone pair on the horizontal plane. Angles 90, 120 or 180 degrees. Probably will accept -2.5 degrees off each angle. (6)

For this I wrote 118, only -2 degrees off would I get it??

I wrote that as well
Original post by EmmaHarvard
Posted from TSR Mobile

What u guys think the grade boundaries be??

January modules when they were around were for the people re taking i believe. looking at the grade boundaries for those, they were lower, around 54.
Reply 182
e) Shapes question - SF6 = Octohedral , 90 degrees -SF4 = See-Saw shape. Lone pair on the horizontal plane. Angles 90, 120 or 180 degrees. Probably will accept -2.5 degrees off each angle. (6)

For this I wrote 118, only -2 degrees off would I get it??

Original post by fasdaman2212
I wrote that as well

I think you will get the mark
As so many people forgot it (nearly including myself) they'll probably divide the marks differently and give you some for it. The rest didn't add to 100% though as that's how I realised my mistake
Reply 184
It didnt add to 100%. You missed it out :colondollar:.
Original post by rbkbball
January modules when they were around were for the people re taking i believe. looking at the grade boundaries for those, they were lower, around 54.

I'd love it if they were 54 as I haven't got any better than that but they seem to be getting higher everywhere and last year was 57. Plus, as everyone retaking are A2 students we're expectantly smarter so the average mark will be higher
if i remember correctly For the empirical formula, it mentioned the name of the compound can't remember what it was exactly called but it was 'copper something'. it gave the total mass and then the masses of C, O and H... you had to take the total mass from given mass to find mass of copper. the trick was realising to work out Cu
Yeah I just realised relative atomic mass and molecular mass are two different things 😁
Original post by SirRaza97
EDIT: Thanks to everyone who has helped in this thread. If anyone can remember the marks for each question I will add them in for you guys! Also the Bold stuff after some thought are probably the correct answers or something along the lines of it. Good luck to everyone in the rest of their exams

EDIT 2: I've added in marks from what I can remember

Here is my unofficial mark scheme. Anything in bold I am not sure if it's right. So if you have any idea then please tell me so i can add it! If i have missed anything out then aslo let me know!

Section A

a) Relative Atomic mass Definition (2)
b) Magnetic Field (1)
c) - Ions accept electrons -Current is formed which is proportional to abundance (2)
d) Something like 28.065 for the RAM (3)
e) Similarity= Peaks still at original m/z values becuase +1 ions are still formed/
same relative abundance (or same height of peaks) because same sample is used so similar amount of the isotopes are present
-Difference - Peaks at half the m/z values becasue high energy electrons will produce +2 ions (4)

2. (Can't rmember what topic this was. I think it was about Van Der Waals)
a) -Electron Density randomly shifts -Creating areas of +ve and -ve charge on molecule - Attraction between molecules which is intermolecular force/VDW (3)
b) O-H bond big electronegative difference allows for hydrogen bonds. Hydrogen bonds are stronger than VDW. (3)
c) Fractional Distiallation/Heat under reflux will sperate these (1)
d) The Se molecule is larger. This means the VDW forces are stronger between molecules (2)

3. (Questions about Alkanes?)
a) Group is alkane (1)
b) 2,2,4 - trimethylpentane (might accept 2,4,4 - trimethylpentane) (1)
c) C8H18 + 12.5O2 ------> 9H2O + 8CO2 (2)
d) but-1-ene (1)
e) C14H30 (1)
f) Thermal Cracking. High temp and high pressure (2)
g) Isomers question. Chain isomer = H2C=C(CH3)2 Postion isomer = But-2-ene Functional Isomer = Cyclic Alkane so cyclicbutane (4)

4. (The weird reactions and the shapes question?)
a) Balancing equation I couldn't remember (2)
b) Cu2(OH)2CO3 + 4HCl -----> 2CuCl2 + 3H2O + CO2 (2)
c) Effervescense(1)
d) Cu3O8H2C2 or in the structural form Cu3(CO3)2(OH)2 (4/5)

Section B

5. (Period 3 stuff)
a) - Ionisation energies increase -Increasing proton number - Similar Shielding -Attraction between outer electron and nuclues gets stronger -The bigger nuclear charge reduces atomic radius (I don't think this point is needed) (4)
b) -Silicon has highest melting point. -Because of macromolecular/Giant covelant structure. -Strong covelant bonds throughout structure. -Requires high amounts of energy to break. (3)
c) The 2 elements that you could've choosed from were Aluminuim because removing electron from 3p shell or Sulphur because of pair repulsion in 3p shell. (2/3)
d) -Element Y is Sulphur. -Large jump in eneries from 6th to 7th ionisation enegies -So 7th electron in inner shell so sulphur must be the element Y. (3)

6. (Calculations)
a) 0.113m3 (3 sig figs needed) (3/4)
b) 1065 Kg or 1.065x106 g (2/3)
c) Percentage yield = 49.3% (4/5)
d) Method 1 because its 100% atom economy. Only producing one product. (1)

Do you think they would accept same no of peaks for 1e?:/
Reply 189
The percentage ratio of Carbon: oxygen: Hydrogen was like

6.96% : 37.12 % : 0.87%

so that means there was about 55.05% Cu in the compund.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 190
Original post by emilies18
Do you think they would accept same no of peaks for 1e?:/

No. You are stating that the number of peaks is the same. But there will be 6 peaks. Unlucky dude

EDIT: Well. There could be same number of peaks if only +2 ions are formed.
(edited 7 years ago)
the empirical formula q was only 3 marks
End of the day it doesn't matter if you blipped on this paper - as it carries less ums than the chem4 5 and 2 - so you can still get Your targets - so stop dwelling and focus on these exams now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
Original post by alevelsarepoo
I'd love it if they were 54 as I haven't got any better than that but they seem to be getting higher everywhere and last year was 57. Plus, as everyone retaking are A2 students we're expectantly smarter so the average mark will be higher

Yes, however, it seems to me that not everyone revised as much as they should have, they took the exam lightly and some people in my cohort dropped at least 20 marks

Remember that this year we don't have the Oxbridge lot, so, it'll still be a normal bell curve. I wouldn't worry!
Did anyone just get CHO4 for the empirical formula question?
Original post by jenduds1234
Did anyone just get CHO4 for the empirical formula question?

I think I actually did ..lol
Original post by 97Y
Yes, however, it seems to me that not everyone revised as much as they should have, they took the exam lightly and some people in my cohort dropped at least 20 marks

Remember that this year we don't have the Oxbridge lot, so, it'll still be a normal bell curve. I wouldn't worry!

Yes that's true, thanks very much :smile:
I think I actually did ..lol

I'm worrying that I forgot to work out the % of Cu in the sample but at the same time didn't think it was needed haha:/
Original post by jenduds1234
I'm worrying that I forgot to work out the % of Cu in the sample but at the same time didn't think it was needed haha:/

LOL aqa Caught us out in exam conditions - we forgot that it was a copper carbonate and even later in the paper - the p4 one caught me out - easily dropped around 15-17 marks in the paper
Just focus on chem 2 now and the other 4th and 5th uniy exams and we can hopefully save ourselves
Original post by ahsan_ijaz
LOL aqa Caught us out in exam conditions - we forgot that it was a copper carbonate and even later in the paper - the p4 one caught me out - easily dropped around 15-17 marks in the paper
Just focus on chem 2 now and the other 4th and 5th uniy exams and we can hopefully save ourselves

Tell me about it,I've lost so many silly marks on this paper and I'm not even sure if I've done any better than last years:frown: but you're right there's nothing I can do about it now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending