The Student Room Group

WJEC - AS Chemistry Unit 1 [New Spec] 27th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lemonandlime1
That's what I had, some people had like 21% and I was confused because I thought it had to be 28-30 and considering 28 had the biggest percentage it had to be closer to that

Yeh most people in our school had similiar answer to mine. But this exam was the hardest I've done in my life so I'm hoping for grade boundaries to be low, which is likely because it's a new spec
Can somebody upload the paper? Just so I can reassure myself that I didn't totally mess up.
The fact that we have the same amount of time as the legacy papers, despite our exam being considerably more demanding, meant that many could not complete the paper. Perhaps if the exam was given more allocated time, students would be able to actually read the questions thoroughly in order to gain an understanding of the concept being tested.
Where do you get the grade boundaries for past papers?
Original post by RasputinReborn
Don't jump to rash conclusions yet. Everyone after both exams found them very difficult. Even on TSR, people found these tough. CH2 last year was 66% for an A, which is low, but that paper was easier than our CH1 paper , so I suspect ours could be in low 60s/ high 50s.

BY1 in 2010 required 59% for an A, 59! I don't think we're screwed, yet.
Original post by FrannySmith
Good to see you on this thread too haha :tongue:
Yeah how did you do in chemistry? We may as well have selected math for an A level :tongue:
Reply 65
Original post by ambarellarose
Where do you get the grade boundaries for past papers?

Look at:
https://www.wjecservices.co.uk/MarkToUMS/
This also says how many marks you get for each 'real' mark out of 80. In last years old CH1 you could lose 10 marks and still be awarded full 120 marks UMS!
Reply 66
Yeah how did you do in chemistry? We may as well have selected math for an A level :tongue:

In our lessons there was an emphasis on the fact there would be a LOT more maths. Apparently it says in the specification that there would be at least 25%(I think) maths marks.
Thank you! was our test out of 80?
https://www.wjecservices.co.uk/MarkToUMS/

Just scroll to GCE JUNE, and find BY1 and you can see the grade boundaries over the years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 68
Thank you! was our test out of 80? I think they made it more marks this year. I think it was 60 last year

Last year and this year both out of 80. If you did some really old papers they were out of 66 - I did one for practice and wish I'd done more as they seemed more similar to the new ones.
Original post by cofio
Last year and this year both out of 80. If you did some really old papers they were out of 66 - I did one for practice and wish I'd done more as they seemed more similar to the new ones.
thank you! yeah I wish I practised more math. I really wanted more equilibrium to come up
All BY1 papers listed on there are out of 70.
Ours was out of 80
Thank youu, did you do biology and if you did how did you find it?
Has anybody done an unofficial mark scheme for the chem paper? I really want to have an idea of how i did
Yes I did do biology, and I thought it was pretty hard. I think I scored around 50 marks out of 80.

That's really good for that paper, I panicked because I thought it was asking unit 2 stuff so I have no idea what ill get
[QUOTE="RasputinReborn;65307783"]I'm still gonna resit anyway. I think I lost motivation towards the end of the paper, so I left out detail and answered the questions lazily. Poor Y11s have no idea what's coming their way

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE oh yeah ino, do you resit next summer? because I will probably have to
Don't jump to rash conclusions yet. Everyone after both exams found them very difficult. Even on TSR, people found these tough. CH2 last year was 66% for an A, which is low, but that paper was easier than our CH1 paper , so I suspect ours could be in low 60s/ high 50s.

BY1 in 2010 required 59% for an A, 59! I don't think we're screwed, yet.

Ok thanks for the reassurance mate. Lets hope we all do well in August.

It was worse than biology by far ! Makes biology look like an A mark now :s-smilie: How did you get on ? I dropped maths after 2 lessons so didn't expect to be sitting an exam on it !!!!
Original post by FrannySmith
It was worse than biology by far ! Makes biology look like an A mark now :s-smilie: How did you get on ? I dropped maths after 2 lessons so didn't expect to be sitting an exam on it !!!!

I found the biology harder because I panicked when it started mentioning fish and all the unfamiliar stuff so I did really bad because I couldn't concentrate. The chemistry was in my opinion way better than the biology but still very difficult because there was so many 4 markers, it made it hard to finish in time :s-smilie:
Good luck to everybody on ch2, let's hope it goes okay.
Is there a separate thread for the WJEC AS Chem Unit 2 New Spec?
Cheers 👍🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest