The Student Room Group

OASC - How much do your CBAT scores affect your chances?

Hi all,
I passed my filter interview a few days ago on my second attempt, so I'll be heading to OASC for the first time in the next couple of months hopefully, however I am applying for Pilot, and I'm acutely aware of the ground I need to make up between myself with only 6 Highers and relatively little experience compared with many other candidates who have degrees and have been involved with a UAS etc.

I am doing everything I can to boost my chances with volunteer work and a flying lesson or two to close the gap, and I was wondering what effect if any a significantly above average CBAT score - I scored 168 for Pilot and 171 for RPAS last September - might have?

Also a huge thanks to all the posters on this board, the information here has been amazingly helpful throughout every step of the process!
Hi JWood27,

They'll consider you as a whole package. So while it's nice to have a decent aptitude test score, you still need to tick all the boxes in the other areas as well to get through. That said if they have to pick between two very similar candidates and one has a score of 160+ and one scrapes through at 115 then I like to think they'd take the one with better aptitude.
Academics aren't the be-all and end-all. As Schleigg says it's the whole package. Well done on the scores too.

On a different note, seriously consider whether you'd accept RPAS if they didn't offer Pilot.
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies guys, I think I have been overestimating just how much a degree matters to them - as you say it's the whole package.

I'll keep hammering away gaining more unique and varied experiences and hope that my oasc date isn't for a little while to give me the most time possible to build myself up (On another note are you allowed to postpone your oasc date if you feel you need more time to prepare yourself or would this be frowned upon?)

Thanks again guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I just ask what was the minimum requirement score for RPAS? I'm thinking of applying soon and was just wondering what the score was. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jebbadiah
Can I just ask what was the minimum requirement score for RPAS? I'm thinking of applying soon and was just wondering what the score was. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe it was around 100/180. This would 8/9 months ago since I sat CBAT so could have changed either way since then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest