The Student Room Group

Maths Degree without FM?

Can you study maths at university without further maths A level. I never really thought about a maths degree before but as the years gone on I've enjoyed maths more and more. I also do Economics at a level, could that be classed as statistical maths?

Scroll to see replies

it usually tells you on the course requirements whether you need FM or not for that course. I think most unis who don't put FM as compulsory just higher the grades you need without it... and you'd have to prove in your PS that you were born to do a maths degree.. :smile:
Original post by Glib
Can you study maths at university without further maths A level. I never really thought about a maths degree before but as the years gone on I've enjoyed maths more and more. I also do Economics at a level, could that be classed as statistical maths?

I think that, if you want to do it, it is worth self studying it (to AS, at least) - I did so in Year 13 :h: and it paid off. You can sit STEP as an alternative (for some unis, others require both STEP and FM) so... up to you. Some universities don't list it as a requirement :h:
Reply 3
Original post by Glib
Can you study maths at university without further maths A level.

Depends on the uni.

I also do Economics at a level, could that be classed as statistical maths?

No...
Original post by Zacken
Depends on the uni.

No...

I've never seen a university that offers a maths degree without further maths.
Reply 5
Original post by zXcodeXz
I've never seen a university that offers a maths degree without further maths.

London Met for example.
Original post by Zacken
London Met for example.

Aren't they one of the worst university?
Reply 7
Original post by zXcodeXz
Aren't they one of the worst university?

It was a counterexample to refute your claim. I think it sufficed.
Im sure every russell group uni offers a maths degree without further maths, just that you have to get like one more grade!
Original post by Glib

Presuming you are in year 12, I would advise you to self-teach at least AS Further Maths in year 13. If you can't self-teach Further Maths, you probably won't do that well in a maths degree.
Original post by Zacken
London Met for example.

He said a university.
Original post by Zacken
It was a counterexample to refute your claim. I think it sufficed.

Ah ok, I think other universities do but they expect you to have better grades than w/ FM
Reply 12
Original post by Ayaz789
Im sure every russell group uni offers a maths degree without further maths, just that you have to get like one more grade!

Isn't Cambridge in the Russel Group?
Yes you can. Even Oxford doesn't require it, just make sure you get top grades in your normal maths.
Original post by Zacken

Well oxford, Cambridge , durham , warwick and bath haha sorry
Original post by gregy521
Yes you can. Even Oxford doesn't require it, just make sure you get top grades in your normal maths.

Do oxford not require it? I thought they did?
Original post by Zacken

Yeah they are

EDIT: LOL i didn't realise it was you that wrote this, sorry :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ayaz789
Do oxford not require it? I thought they did?

They definitely prefer it, but people get in without. It just makes it a bit harder.
Original post by gregy521
They definitely prefer it, but people get in without. It just makes it a bit harder.

Ahh okay np
Econ is barely maths tbh so :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest