The Student Room Group

Questions about applying for Cambridge

Some questions about Cambridge:

1) I know average UMS is probably higher for the sciences but how much would it be to get an interview and get an offer?

2) I heard from some others that everyone (especially science/maths students) are taking 4 A levels.
Depending on my AS results, if I get 4 As I will be allowed to carry on with 4 A levels but if not I'll only be allowed to take 3.
Will this greatly disadvantage my application?
I'm applying for English Literature and I'm definitely taking on English Literature and History and if I have to drop one, I'm conflicted between Philosophy & Ethics and Psychology.

3) I've got a place at Homerton College Summer School and I'm just wondering how helpful this is to your application?
Would you mention it on the Personal Statement or elsewhere?
By the way I'm in Y12 waiting for AS results this August!
Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
3 is plenty
Original post by audrey_lh

No disadvantage if you are applying for an arts subject -- you might be disadvantaged with AS grades lower than AAAB though.
Reply 3
I know average UMS is probably higher for the sciences but how much would it be to get an interview and get an offer?

Most applicants will now not have UMS in most subjects due to the A-level reforms so UMS averages are even less useful than previously. (85+ across Best 3 would, in the past, usually be enough for most humanities).

And Cambridge interviews approx 80% of applicants anyway.
Reply 4
I heard from some others that everyone (especially science/maths students) are taking 4 A levels.
Depending on my AS results, if I get 4 As I will be allowed to carry on with 4 A levels but if not I'll only be allowed to take 3.
Will this greatly disadvantage my application?
I'm applying for English Literature and I'm definitely taking on English Literature and History and if I have to drop one, I'm conflicted between Philosophy & Ethics and Psychology.

3 is absolutely fine. Do the 3 you enjoy most and are likely to do best in.

And for sciences, yes 4 is more common but, three is also fine. Many schools encourage pupils doing Maths & FM to also do 2 more A-levels.
Reply 5
I've got a place at Homerton College Summer School and I'm just wondering how helpful this is to your application?
Would you mention it on the Personal Statement or elsewhere?
By the way I'm in Y12 waiting for AS results this August!
Thanks!

You don't need to create a separate thread for each question :wink:

I will merge your threads for you...

The summer school can be an interesting and useful experience but it won't specifically advantage your application. It's certainly fine to briefly mention it and what you got out of it - if it's relevant to your course.

Quick Reply

Latest