The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Edminzodo
Okay. Just be aware that Economics at university level will have a lot of Maths, so if you don't enjoy Maths then you may want to rethink it a little.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, i will think about it.
Did you do well in your GCSEs?
I am an international and we don't have GCSEs. I study German(major) & English with another 16subjects.

Which A Levels are you doing?
I am doing Bulgarian(compulsory due to I'm Bulgarian), English and History in my final(Matura) exams. As a final grade, I'm expecting 5.85-9 out of 6.0, which is relevant to AAA at A-level.

Which course do you plan to apply for?
History

Do any particular colleges interest you? Why?
St. Catz or Magdalen

What are your hobbies?
Mainly reading and handball, a bit of poetry writing and a lot of history related extracurricular activities.
We've posted up some admissions stats at this link and will be adding more between now and the Open Days on Wed 29th June and Thursday 30th June.

http://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-admissions

Some general information about Oxford's Open Days can be found here:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/visiting-and-outreach/open-days

Like most colleges, Brasenose will be open all day (9am - 5pm) and no advance booking is needed - just drop in anytime.

Over 100 undergrads applied to be hosts at the Open Days so we had a tough job selecting the 40-odd students who will be there to say hello, show you round and chat about the courses & social side of things. We're also scheduling tutor drop-in sessions and admissions talks - details tba.

And, yes, the team that is BrasenoseAdm will be there too signing autographs and disproving all the theories that we are really a cyber-bot.
Seeing top grades here makes me a bit nervous, since im taking A levels as an aditional qualification, but lets go:
Did you do well in your GCSES?
2A*, 1A (only did 3 for IAL introduction)
What a levels are you doing?
Currently A2 Math, Economics and just started A2 History
History and Politics
Considering Merton, cause I love the medieval architecture, but tbh all colleges look amazing, I'll have a hard time deciding after all
What are your hobbies?
Debating, dancing and singing are the ones I try to make room for in the schedule. But, I love the theatre, literature and sports, but for the time being I rarely find time for them (problems of attending basically 2 high school programs at the same time :'( )
If you were given a place next year, what would you do for the rest of the day?
It would probably take me a while to realise that its actaully happening! I guess when I'm done screaming, I'd love to go out and have drinks with friends!

Anyone else for Hist-Pol?
Original post by hermeowne
Seeing top grades here makes me a bit nervous, since im taking A levels as an aditional qualification, but lets go:
Did you do well in your GCSES?
2A*, 1A (only did 3 for IAL introduction)
What a levels are you doing?
Currently A2 Math, Economics and just started A2 History
History and Politics
Considering Merton, cause I love the medieval architecture, but tbh all colleges look amazing, I'll have a hard time deciding after all
What are your hobbies?
Debating, dancing and singing are the ones I try to make room for in the schedule. But, I love the theatre, literature and sports, but for the time being I rarely find time for them (problems of attending basically 2 high school programs at the same time :'( )
It would probably take me a while to realise that its actaully happening! I guess when I'm done screaming, I'd love to go out and have drinks with friends!

Anyone else for Hist-Pol?

Yep but my AS levels thus far aren't making me too confident :tongue:
Original post by alevelpain
Yep but my AS levels thus far aren't making me too confident :tongue:

Have you considered any college that you want to apply to yet?
(PS I'm sure you can ace As)
Original post by CaptainGalifrey
Hello! I'm from India. And my subjects are: History, political science, economics, english and fine arts.

I wish to apply for History and Economics as luckily it's not mandatory to study Mathematics for it, but it is still recommend. Should i drop the idea and pursue another course?

I will also be applying to LSE and King's College, London for History and international relations.

Any advice is appreciated.

Heey :smile: I don't think you should drop it completely, although a background in Mathematics would help you in your course, as its highly suggested.
There are other courses more related to History and IR, check the Oxford website. (History and Politics for eg).
But if you're passionate about this specific course, I'd say go for it!
Good luck!
Would GCSE retakes be considered negatively?
I'm applying for English Literature and retaking 4 GCSEs to boost them up to A*s
I currently have 3*5A3B and I'm taking an additional GCSE so regardless of the results I will have 12GCSEs by the time I apply
I've already finished one and in the middle of taking the other 4 so the answers you guys give me won't make much difference but just wondering! (you can tell I'm pretty nervous)
Plus after this year's ASs I don't think I'll get too bad (predicted all As but one of my history essays weren't up to my usual standard and OCR ethics.... well people who took it- you know what I mean.) but I'm so tied up on GCSEs right now because I know I won't probably get about 98UMS average to be good enough for Cambridge and my GCSEs aren't really top notch for Oxford so I'll just feeling quite depressed.
Exams this year was just eurgh I've practically given up on hoping for 4As
Anyway sorry for the long post- any answers would be good!
Here goes :smile:

Did you do well in your GCSEs?
Crap - A*AAAAABBCCC
Which A Levels are you doing?
Maths, Physics and Computing because I wasn't allowed to do further maths :frown:
Either computer science or computer science & philosophy
Do any particular colleges interest you?
Not really
What are your hobbies?
Programming, going to the gym
Cry a lot, it would be the happiest day of my life I'm pretty sure
I am having a really hard time deciding whether I would like to apply to Oxbridge. Like, going to oxbridge would be so cool and amazing but I don't know what I want to study. I can't see myself studying just one thing for 3 years. Most people tell me I should apply for maths, but I like maths and all but sometimes it gets a little boring, so I imagine it'll be worse if that's the only thing I'm doing. Plus I hate physics/mechanics/dynamics, which are kind of inescapable in a maths degree. I'm thinking right now that I'm going to apply for maths and economics, as i like my economics a level and it will be more interesting studying more than one subject, but this isn't a combo either cambridge or oxford do. cambridge allow maths students to do some years of maths and some years of economics, but cambridge maths is so difficult to get into that i wouldn't waste changing my whole application to just maths when I'm already so unlikely to get in there, and i don't see the point of putting so much effort into a maths application if in the small chance i got in, i would just change to econ.

any advice?
Original post by audrey_lh
Would GCSE retakes be considered negatively?
I'm applying for English Literature and retaking 4 GCSEs to boost them up to A*s
I currently have 3*5A3B and I'm taking an additional GCSE so regardless of the results I will have 12GCSEs by the time I apply
I've already finished one and in the middle of taking the other 4 so the answers you guys give me won't make much difference but just wondering! (you can tell I'm pretty nervous)
Plus after this year's ASs I don't think I'll get too bad (predicted all As but one of my history essays weren't up to my usual standard and OCR ethics.... well people who took it- you know what I mean.) but I'm so tied up on GCSEs right now because I know I won't probably get about 98UMS average to be good enough for Cambridge and my GCSEs aren't really top notch for Oxford so I'll just feeling quite depressed.
Exams this year was just eurgh I've practically given up on hoping for 4As
Anyway sorry for the long post- any answers would be good!

Hey, first of all I would just relax and wait for your results before making too many decisions. I'm sure your UMS would be fine for Cambridge even without 98 average, and that your GCSEs would be fine for oxford. I know you're nervous and want some kind of stability, but genuinely wait until results day and then see how you're doing - I'm sure it'll be better than you think, and you don't need to have perfect grades to apply :smile:
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I am having a really hard time deciding whether I would like to apply to Oxbridge. Like, going to oxbridge would be so cool and amazing but I don't know what I want to study. I can't see myself studying just one thing for 3 years. Most people tell me I should apply for maths, but I like maths and all but sometimes it gets a little boring, so I imagine it'll be worse if that's the only thing I'm doing. Plus I hate physics/mechanics/dynamics, which are kind of inescapable in a maths degree. I'm thinking right now that I'm going to apply for maths and economics, as i like my economics a level and it will be more interesting studying more than one subject, but this isn't a combo either cambridge or oxford do. cambridge allow maths students to do some years of maths and some years of economics, but cambridge maths is so difficult to get into that i wouldn't waste changing my whole application to just maths when I'm already so unlikely to get in there, and i don't see the point of putting so much effort into a maths application if in the small chance i got in, i would just change to econ.

any advice?

Hey, I'm sure one of the Oxford maths people will be along soon to advise you, but in the meantime - I think the dynamics stuff is just in first year and there's lots of economics stuff in third year. I also think combinations like Maths and Comp Sci and Maths and Philosophy let you have more variety and avoid some of the physics-y things.

About applying to Oxbridge full stop - what makes you want to apply? It should really be for the course and learning environment, not just prestige or location or anything like that :smile: have a look at lots of different courses at different places online and see what universities offer things you'd be interested in :smile:

Again, I'm sure maths people will be along soon, but just my two pence!
International Student here studying in the UK!

GCSEs: An equivalent in my country (Singapore) that's accepted by UK universities! My GPA was 3.77/4, including 5A*s, 3As, 1B* and 1B. Basically the chemistry we did was AS-level chemistry lmao so the standards are slightly higher

AS: predicted 4As and currently sitting my AS exams. Predicted 4A*s at A2 but not confirmed

Course: Medicine (eek)

Extracurricular: I have an undergrad-level mentored science research project on the Proteomic Analysis of the downstream pathways of KRAS colon cancer, etc. (I have quite a few other achievements but not gonna name all)

College: Hopefully Merton or Balliol!!! Merton is gorgeous and I like Balliol's cozy feels

Hobbies: Figure skating!! Was 5th and 2nd at 2 National Championships respectively, and I play the violin :smile:

If I got a place.....idk I'd just go to the temple and pray and give thanks. It's a bonus so I'm not gonna hope for it or anything :smile: I'll just be happy if I get it!

any advice?

Seeing your post a couple pages back, I feel like you definitely have a very strong profile for either of the Oxbridge universities! The issue is the course. I went for Oxford's open day and I happened to be interested in economics then. Oxford's economics degree is quite math-sy, but not so much that you'd get an even split of maths and economics, if you know what I'm saying. I actually think warwick has a degree that is very much suited to your interests, I suggest you check it out! Also I know how you're feeling, I'm an international student applying for medicine in the most competitive uni in the UK (I don't know what I'm thinking) but really, take some time to think about what you really want and then you can make an application to the best of your interests :smile: good luck!
Original post by such_a_lady
Hey, first of all I would just relax and wait for your results before making too many decisions. I'm sure your UMS would be fine for Cambridge even without 98 average, and that your GCSEs would be fine for oxford. I know you're nervous and want some kind of stability, but genuinely wait until results day and then see how you're doing - I'm sure it'll be better than you think, and you don't need to have perfect grades to apply :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by rosemondtan
Seeing your post a couple pages back, I feel like you definitely have a very strong profile for either of the Oxbridge universities! The issue is the course. I went for Oxford's open day and I happened to be interested in economics then. Oxford's economics degree is quite math-sy, but not so much that you'd get an even split of maths and economics, if you know what I'm saying. I actually think warwick has a degree that is very much suited to your interests, I suggest you check it out! Also I know how you're feeling, I'm an international student applying for medicine in the most competitive uni in the UK (I don't know what I'm thinking) but really, take some time to think about what you really want and then you can make an application to the best of your interests :smile: good luck!

Thank you. I'm quite certain I am not going to apply to Oxford for Economics as it is the most competitive course across all of Oxbridge and Cambridge courses with acceptance rates usually ranging around 6-7% (it's ridiculous - even medicine with the 4th lowest acceptance is usually around 12%). Maths is 15% which is still low but at least it wouldn't feel like a waste of an application! It's so confusing because you are supposed to apply for what you want but I can't just ignore how competitive some courses are, I have to decide whether applying would be a waste of one of my UCAS choices. And whatever I apply for I'd have to apply for at all my other uni choices as I only get one personal statement. I just wish I had more time to decide what I wanna do. Tbh I think that the UK system forces us to know what we want to do to early. I am maybe considering Economics at Cambridge but I don't even know how I would write a PS because for the last year I assumed I was going to apply for Maths and hadn't thought about other options.
Does anyone know how much weighting Oxford put on AS grades for PPE?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't see myself studying just one thing for 3 years. Most people tell me I should apply for maths, but I like maths and all but sometimes it gets a little boring, so I imagine it'll be worse if that's the only thing I'm doing. Plus I hate physics/mechanics/dynamics, which are kind of inescapable in a maths degree.

On the contrary, in my experience. Physics becomes all that stuff you mention. Maths is primarily the 'pure' stuff you get on a-level courses. Far more proof-based than pre-uni maths.

Perhaps a mathmo can expend more though.

I'm thinking right now that I'm going to apply for maths and economics, as i like my economics a level and it will be more interesting studying more than one subject,

Economics at a top uni will have a lot of maths. Lots of applied calculus.
Dear tsr community,
I am an overseas student who is interested in applying for PPE in the autumn of 2016. Below I have listed the majority of activities that I have taken part in, (some minor and irrelevant ones such as participation in art expositions and piano have not been included):
-School volleyball team captain-Leos club president 2013-2014 and ongoing member
-Vice captain of green house 2015-2016
-Annual participation in the school choir and school shows ( some major roles)
-In the progress of completion of my Duke of Edinburgh gold medal award-School council and house rep. Years 7 to 11
-Cambridge certificate of proficiency in English ( top grade (A))
-Numerous LAMDA exams all passed with distinction
- GCSE grades: 8A*, 3A and 2B (awarded the prize for best GCSE results of 2015 in the school)
-Participated as delegate in the FAMUN 2016 (Model United Nations)
-1st language English, Spanish and Russia
- Co-creator of the school debating society.

Currently I am studying my A levels, this year taking the full Spanish A level, Russian AS, English Lit AS and Maths AS (also doing History but doing both AS and A2 exams next year. However, unfortunately this year, my Maths AS exams did not go very well, and I fear they will come out as a B (something I am very worried about, for I feel like I have lost all my chances of a successful application).
Therefore, I have the following questions for the tsr community:

Are my current achievements enough to apply?
If I do come out with a B at AS maths, would Oxford look down on a retake?
Can I leave maths as an AS and do another another A level in a year, and if so which would you recommend?
Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Original post by leonardodv13
Dear tsr community,
I am an overseas student who is interested in applying for PPE in the autumn of 2016. Below I have listed the majority of activities that I have taken part in, (some minor and irrelevant ones such as participation in art expositions and piano have not been included):
-School volleyball team captain-Leos club president 2013-2014 and ongoing member
-Vice captain of green house 2015-2016
-Annual participation in the school choir and school shows ( some major roles)
-In the progress of completion of my Duke of Edinburgh gold medal award-School council and house rep. Years 7 to 11
-Cambridge certificate of proficiency in English ( top grade (A))
-Numerous LAMDA exams all passed with distinction
- GCSE grades: 8A*, 3A and 2B (awarded the prize for best GCSE results of 2015 in the school)
-Participated as delegate in the FAMUN 2016 (Model United Nations)
-1st language English, Spanish and Russia
- Co-creator of the school debating society.

Currently I am studying my A levels, this year taking the full Spanish A level, Russian AS, English Lit AS and Maths AS (also doing History but doing both AS and A2 exams next year. However, unfortunately this year, my Maths AS exams did not go very well, and I fear they will come out as a B (something I am very worried about, for I feel like I have lost all my chances of a successful application).
Therefore, I have the following questions for the tsr community:

Are my current achievements enough to apply?
If I do come out with a B at AS maths, would Oxford look down on a retake?
Can I leave maths as an AS and do another another A level in a year, and if so which would you recommend?
Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Hey, just remember that things like DoE and house rep don't make a huge difference to an application. Make sure you're reading around your subject, have some thoughts on what you read, and look at TSA papers. As for maths - hang on and wait until results day and then decide. It may be better than you think.

Latest

Trending

Trending