The Student Room Group

Medicine: You know what I'm going to say

So, after having took half of my exams last week for AS, I have a really bad feeling that I am getting a C/D or worst case an E.
This has disheartened me in doing something I am ambitious about, now I just see it as a dream I cant chase, I just don't know where to go from here...

(smh, I had to create an account for this xD)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
cant do anything about it now, soz
Original post by anoonymoose
So, after having took half of my exams last week for AS, I have a really bad feeling that I am getting a C/D or worst case an E.
This has disheartened me in doing something I am ambitious about, now I just see it as a dream I cant chase, I just don't know where to go from here...

same :'( I proper feel as if medicine isn't going to happen any more.
As far as I know you can (depending on grades) still do stuff like paramedicine or biomedical research, which may even be more fulfilling for you than medicine.
Reply 4
Original post by shawtyb
cant do anything about it now, soz

well thanks
Reply 5
Original post by jijakassxo
same :'( I proper feel as if medicine isn't going to happen any more.

sighs, when it sinks in, it hits you like a truck
Reply 6
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
As far as I know you can (depending on grades) still do stuff like paramedicine or biomedical research, which may even be more fulfilling for you than medicine.

I'll look into that, thanks buddy

I'm sure you can do retakes next year. And possibly take a gap year to sort out grades. A user on this site wisely told me that if you have a dream, and fail, DON'T GIVE UP.

If you want to do medicine so badly, then do whatever it takes to get there. Please do not lose hope :redface:
Reply 8
**** Medicine I did so much to get an offer and I didn't get the grades in the end :'(

Oh well I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Reply 9
Original post by homeland.lsw
I'm sure you can do retakes next year. And possibly take a gap year to sort out grades. A user on this site wisely told me that if you have a dream, and fail, DON'T GIVE UP.

If you want to do medicine so badly, then do whatever it takes to get there. Please do not lose hope :redface:

thank you, really appreciated.:h:
I'm going to try everything I can, If it doesn't work out for me
Original post by eden3
**** Medicine I did so much to get an offer and I didn't get the grades in the end :'(

Oh well I guess it wasn't meant to be.

are you re-taking? or taking another route?

i just wanted to know what grade for English do you need to get in gcse to do medicine or pharmacy in a level
thank you, really appreciated.:h:
I'm going to try everything I can, If it doesn't work out for me

Good! And for the remaining exams, approach them confidently, don't be brought down by the exams you've just done. Who knows maybe you've done better than expected. Good luck!
Original post by jasmin2000
i just wanted to know what grade for English do you need to get in gcse to do medicine or pharmacy in a level

It's a B/C in most cases but competition is tough, people who apply mainly have got A/A*s
DONT let it bring you down though! I'm sure you've got a shot!
Good luck!
:smile:
Reply 14
are you re-taking? or taking another route?

I'm already in uni doing a different course, I'll be finishing my first year within 2 weeks.

I didn't decide to re-take because most med schools require that you complete your A-levels within 2 years (obviously I applied and got my offer when I was in Year 13).

I could do graduate entry into Medicine after my degree but that a s***load of student loans and debt that I'll be in - plus graduate entry is even more competitive than undergrad entry and the course is even more intense. But I've lost all passion/interest in Medicine now anyways.

The amount of **** I did to get that offer... all the preparation for the UKCAT test, personal statement, work experience, all that ******** and only 1 uni was willing interview me. So then I spent a month preparing for the interview and somehow managed to get an offer. But yeah like I said I didn't get AAA in the end despite working harder than I ever had.

So all that was for nothing :smile: :smile: :smile: Needless to say I cried every day for like 2 weeks after results day... but I eventually got over it lol.
Original post by homeland.lsw
Good! And for the remaining exams, approach them confidently, don't be brought down by the exams you've just done. Who knows maybe you've done better than expected. Good luck!

Having looked at the new spec exams was quite disheartening, I can only hope I did okay for them. As for the next ones, I'm a little bit worried but I definitely will try my best! thanks! :smile:
At the end of the day there is nothing you can do about it at this point, and there is no use panicking until the results come through, and you never know, you might have done better than you think. The situation is completely out of your hands though, so there is no point making yourself ill/stressed/anxious over it.

If medicine is what you have your heart set on, use your anxious energy to formulate a backup plan (whether this is resits, applying to a different degree such as biomed and so on) and make preliminary arrangements, so that if the worst happens and your grades aren't good enough then you aren't going to be stuck doing nothing. Make sure to carefully consider every option because there are plenty of people who this happens to and who would make great doctors but for whatever reason didn't quite get the grades.
Original post by eden3
I'm already in uni doing a different course, I'll be finishing my first year within 2 weeks.

I didn't decide to re-take because most med schools require that you complete your A-levels within 2 years (obviously I applied and got my offer when I was in Year 13).

I could do graduate entry into Medicine after my degree but that a s***load of student loans and debt that I'll be in - plus graduate entry is even more competitive than undergrad entry and the course is even more intense. But I've lost all passion/interest in Medicine now anyways.

The amount of **** I did to get that offer... all the preparation for the UKCAT test, personal statement, work experience, all that ******** and only 1 uni was willing interview me. So then I spent a month preparing for the interview and somehow managed to get an offer. But yeah like I said I didn't get AAA in the end despite working harder than I ever had.

So all that was for nothing :smile: :smile: :smile: Needless to say I cried every day for like 2 weeks after results day... but I eventually got over it lol.

Yeah, I guess sometimes the amount of work you do doesn't show in your grades and commitment, which really sucks! I don't want that to happen to anyone let alone me. I'm going to try whatever I can, but if it doesn't work out, I hope it was for a reason :smile:
Reply 18
Yeah, I guess sometimes the amount of work you do doesn't show in your grades and commitment, which really sucks! I don't want that to happen to anyone let alone me. I'm going to try whatever I can, but if it doesn't work out, I hope it was for a reason :smile:

At the end of the day all you can do is try your best and hope everything falls in to place. I'm sure you'll be fine :wink:

BTW if you ever want to PM me to ask about anything on Medicine - personal statement/UKCAT/preparing for interview... you are welcome to at any time. You don't really have to worry about that stuff till you start Year 13 though lol (well, maybe work experience).

Original post by eden3
At the end of the day all you can do is try your best and hope everything falls in to place. I'm sure you'll be fine :wink:

BTW if you ever want to PM me to ask about anything on Medicine - personal statement/UKCAT/preparing for interview... you are welcome to at any time. You don't really have to worry about that stuff till you start Year 13 though lol (well, maybe work experience).

Thank you! much appreciated! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest