this one's for the girls more than the guys as is common custom
here's my list of dates
1 year
2 years
5 years
10 years
20 years

and here's what i'd get with reasoning

1 year- eternity ring you survived the first year it's a great reminder of the big day should cost at least a £1,000

2 years- diamond stud earrings a chic item that makes for a great heirloom to pass down and should cost £2-3,000

5 years- the cartier LOVE collection (bracelet, earrings and ring as the necklaces look horrible) it a serious set that even without diamonds is a serious buy for £7,000 and makes a great trilogy of past, present and future

10 years- eternity/ tennis bracelet mindset back to the big day and the eternal love you have for each other this one is a bit of an open price bracket but a decent one is going to be £10,000 or so

20 years- a patek philippe wristwatch a thing of elegance and beauty just like your wife and that is a good thing as it should be no less than £15,000 if you get a quality one in gold or even platinum

other years would be more common stuff
3 and 4 you can spend a grand on a great experience
6-9 go for a holiday together be it a few day or a couple of weeks
11-19 stick to building a jewelery collection a few watch years, a few gold years and a few platinum years and maybe a nice pre-owned car or a new luxury handbag in the middle for 5 or 10 grand
Reply 1
the receiver of these gifts is a lucky girl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
the receiver of these gifts is a lucky girl.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's relative about a month's income after taxes and other expenses in the career
Reply 3
Original post by jamesthehustler
it's relative about a month's income after taxes and other expenses in the career

You're not very good at saving then: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=65303483&postcount=3

i'm talking long term
buy the end of this list i'll be selling watches, jewellery, handbags, exotic cars, helicopters and powerboats
that's how you make £30-40,000 every month
Well, with those kinds of expenses, you've just put me off dating for life...xD

£1,000 after one year? The average salary in the UK is £26,500; take away income tax and average costs for housing, transport and food and you're left with £10,612.80 by my calculations. This is before further tax deductions - like council tax, charitable donations, holidays, etc. - which can take away a few more thousands. You're now easily looking at over a tenth of your annual income going towards buying that first ring after one year :/

Speaking as a guy, and please don't be disappointed, but I don't think I'd spend that much at all on anniversary gifts - not for the first five years, anyway.

For marriage, yes I might spend that amount of money on anniversary gifts (and I reason that I'd have a higher income than in my youth so as to be able to afford it) - but not for pre-marital dating. One year isn't even relatively "long-term" when we talk about pre-marital dating.

Moreover, when dating (and afterwards in marriage!), I'd probably spend the same amount of money in smaller expenses throughout the year - in paying for restaurants, trips to the cinema, weekend breaks to the beach, etc. I'd rather be rich and able to spend money on quality time with my girlfriend and building good memories of these quality times rather than poor and wasting money on symbolic gestures of anniversary gifts. The best relationships aren't found on materialistic exchanges of gifts: they're found in good memories and a love for each other. Anniversary gifts are nice, but they shouldn't be a priority: the money, in my view, is better spent on building those kinds of good memories, and not on anniversary gifts which are going to be resold or recycled 10 years down the line and then promptly forgotten about.
(edited 7 years ago)
here's my list of dates
1 year
2 years
5 years
10 years
20 years

1 year- eternity ring you survived the first year it's a great reminder of the big day should cost at least a £1,000

2 years- diamond stud earrings a chic item that makes for a great heirloom to pass down and should cost £2-3,000

5 years- the cartier LOVE collection (bracelet, earrings and ring as the necklaces look horrible) it a serious set that even without diamonds is a serious buy for £7,000 and makes a great trilogy of past, present and future

10 years- eternity/ tennis bracelet mindset back to the big day and the eternal love you have for each other this one is a bit of an open price bracket but a decent one is going to be £10,000 or so

20 years- a patek philippe wristwatch a thing of elegance and beauty just like your wife and that is a good thing as it should be no less than £15,000 if you get a quality one in gold or even platinum

11-19 stick to building a jewelery collection a few watch years, a few gold years and a few platinum years and maybe a nice pre-owned car or a new luxury handbag in the middle for 5 or 10 grand

Are you talking wedding anniversary gifts or been dating x years gifts?
I'd much rather that cash was spent on holidays and fancy dinners if i was that rich except maybe an eternity ring. How do you recon she'd fit an eternity ring, engagement ring, wedding ring and a trilogy collection on her hand at all at same time or what if -shock horror- she hates diamonds:P
here's my list of dates
1 year
2 years
5 years
10 years
20 years

I don't mean to be rude but this is far too much! For our first anniversary we went out for lunch, he gave me flowers and a card then I got him some aftershave. For our second anniversary I took him out for dinner, he bought me flowers and gave each other cards. This year for our third anniversary we're getting each other a set of Pokemon games.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
here's my list of dates
1 year
2 years
5 years
10 years
20 years

1 year- eternity ring you survived the first year it's a great reminder of the big day...

Survived 1 year? How tacky! Eternity rings are for after the birth of first child or when family is complete.

I don't like wristwatches but think for 20-25 it would be time for diamonds in tiara form as you'd be old enough (& borrowing daughters young enough) to wear one.
Pizza for all of the milestones.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Pizza for all of the milestones.

I couldn't agree more :tongue:
Original post by Elles
Survived 1 year? How tacky! Eternity rings are for after the birth of first child or when family is complete.

I don't like wristwatches but think for 20-25 it would be time for diamonds in tiara form as you'd be old enough (& borrowing daughters young enough) to wear one.

i have to say you opinion quite interesting and a tiara is just such a rare find to get one made you're looking in the £250k plus region to do it right
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
I don't mean to be rude but this is far too much! For our first anniversary we went out for lunch, he gave me flowers and a card then I got him some aftershave. For our second anniversary I took him out for dinner, he bought me flowers and gave each other cards. This year for our third anniversary we're getting each other a set of Pokemon games.

but this last ones that a couple of week's pay in my career of choice so by relativity it the same equivalence
Original post by claireestelle
Are you talking wedding anniversary gifts or been dating x years gifts?
I'd much rather that cash was spent on holidays and fancy dinners if i was that rich except maybe an eternity ring. How do you recon she'd fit an eternity ring, engagement ring, wedding ring and a trilogy collection on her hand at all at same time or what if -shock horror- she hates diamonds:P

wedding anniversary
cartier and daussi have plenty of other stone options and you would wear the LOVE stuff on the other hand and as i have said i would make that in a month or less so it not a huge amount
wedding anniversary
cartier and daussi have plenty of other stone options and you would wear the LOVE stuff on the other hand and as i have said i would make that in a month or less so it not a huge amount

I guess wedding anniversary is more understandable, i'm more of the mantra of just because you have the money doesn't mean you have to spend it though:P I'd make my partner return anything if it was over a weeks salary in all honesty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending