The Student Room Group

Possible to get a B? (Edexcel Mathematics)

I'm quite bad at maths, and I didn't really revise at all for the first paper. When I counted up the amount of marks I could've gotten for paper 1 it was about 42 :frown: .
I'm going for a B because I need a B to get into my Computer Science A level course. Roughly, how many marks would I need on the calculator paper to get a B overall? (I know the grade boundaries haven't been released yet, just need a rough estimate).
Reply 1
bump
Original post by SamSp123
I'm quite bad at maths, and I didn't really revise at all for the first paper. When I counted up the amount of marks I could've gotten for paper 1 it was about 42 :frown: .
I'm going for a B because I need a B to get into my Computer Science A level course. Roughly, how many marks would I need on the calculator paper to get a B overall? (I know the grade boundaries haven't been released yet, just need a rough estimate).

Well the grade boundaries last year were 95/200 for a B so if they're similar this year then you would need roughly 50 or more.
Reply 3
Well around 90-100 is usually a B, aim for getting 110, which would mean you have a secured B
That would be around 50-70 marks, revise past papers and A* topics
Goodluck!!
Reply 4
Well considering both papers are out of a 100, I think it would be best to try and get about 60 marks or above, so then both marks will level out.
Do you want to do Computer Science at university? If you do you really should improve your maths...
Reply 6
Original post by CloakedSpartan
Do you want to do Computer Science at university? If you do you really should improve your maths...

I'm an A* grade at Computer Science GCSE, I don't understand how I'm so bad at mathematics, I don't really listen. Thanks for the tip though.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm an A* grade at Computer Science GCSE, I don't understand how I'm so bad at mathematics, I don't really listen. Thanks for the tip though.

You really should. Any actual Computer Science (not IT) course will require Maths A-level (further maths for the top ones), because discrete maths and calculus can be quite useful in Computer Science.
Original post by katodizzle
Well the grade boundaries last year were 95/200 for a B so if they're similar this year then you would need roughly 50 or more.

Last year the paper was ****. The grade boundaries will be almost certainly higher than that. I'd say closer to 110 for a B.
Reply 9
You really should. Any actual Computer Science (not IT) course will require Maths A-level (further maths for the top ones), because discrete maths and calculus can be quite useful in Computer Science.

Really? I've always been interested in Computer Science but I never realised that I would have to do an A Level in maths - I guess that you can use it for logic.
Really? I've always been interested in Computer Science but I never realised that I would have to do an A Level in maths - I guess that you can use it for logic.

You really should've looked this up then, lol. It's quite mathematically involved at higher levels, it's not just coding.

Having done Further Maths and ICT A level, after talking to my IT teacher there's a large overlap with one of the further maths modules and computing so it would be beneficial.
Reply 12
You really should've looked this up then, lol. It's quite mathematically involved at higher levels, it's not just coding.

Cool.
Original post by miless090
Last year the paper was ****. The grade boundaries will be almost certainly higher than that. I'd say closer to 110 for a B.

Fair enough, I was just guessing
Reply 14
Original post by miless090

The grade boundaries for a B in edexcel gcse maths have been in the range 92-101. Baring in mind that it has only ever gone into the 100's once in November 2013. It has been 95 in june 2014 and june 2015. I wouldn't see this year going into the 100's. The calc paper will probs make up for the easy non-calc paper.

Edexcel were clever last year because the non-calc paper was always the easy out of the two papers but last year they switched the tables and made the calc paper easier.
So i would say for a B aim for 60 marks to be safe.
I got a B last year on edexcel, which was surprising as I'd only ever got C/D grades. I was really wanting a B grade so I did lots of past papers and practice which all paid off. Good luck! :smile:
do level it software development. im a in computing but it's very boring, and you wont need 2 do maths as well

Quick Reply

Latest