The Student Room Group

Why does anyone care about Royal Family

They do all these events and they're smiling and waving, but y;know inside they're thinking:

"Lmao look at all these dumb peasants come out here to worship us, and they happily give their hard earned tax money to finance our lavish lifestyles. Lol guess it would be stupid to expect any intelligence from them though lol - they are peasants after all haha"
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nidhoggr
They do all these events and they're smiling and waving, but y;know inside they're thinking:

"Lmao look at all these dumb peasants come out here to worship us, and they happily give their hard earned tax money to finance our lavish lifestyles. Lol guess it would be stupid to expect any intelligence from them though lol - they are peasants after all haha"

For a royal family they are incredibly non-remarkable. Their children are unintelligent - not anywhere close to being straight A students. They know that most millenials don't give a **** about them. They have to do all sorts of boring inconsequential things. **** 'em.
Original post by Nidhoggr

Honestly I really dont
Biggest spongers and scroungers in the country.

Kate's clothes are nice though
if you are good we will let you have another try with Lego
Idc
Original post by Serine Soul

Kate's clothes are nice though

Have you paid your energy Bill Clinton. McDonalds in a forest would be nice. Extra trees. Burn the wood for the energy. Then no Bill. Makes sense.

Also, eat the Mac for your own energy to cut and burn trees. Use sun for the burn. But then where to get Mac energy? From sun, cows and grass. Simple. Don't tell Hillary.
(edited 7 years ago)
:s-smilie:
Reply 8
Because...
I don't care about the Royal Family. I don't see why we need to suck up to them all the time.

They do absolutely nothing and live an extravagant lifestyle, whilst the rest of us have to suffer.
Reply 10
Original post by RasputinReborn
The Royal Family are a source of much revenue for the U.K. While is it true that they have been spoon fed through life, any power they have is superficial and ceremonial, and any "sucking up" is just done to show some respect during ceremonial occasions. This is why the the queen rarely makes her opinion known to the public, as she knows it may provoke opposition.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The revenue myth has been debunked many times, and anyway.. are you really saying you support the idea that someone is better than you purely because they're a slight tourist attraction?
Reply 11
Original post by Serine Soul

To be fair, we actually make a profit on the Royal Family, unlike what we would with a President. Since 2012, they've been funded by the Sovereign Grant, which gives them 15% of the income account net surplus of the Crown Estate for the financial year that began two years previously and gives the rest to the Government.

Plus when you see them all decked out it's not like they're spending as much money as you would think - all these diamond tiaras, carriages, insignias and regalia are often over a century old, so the only money that goes on them is for upkeep, not purchase. All these material things - and the palaces - would still exist and cost the same to maintain even if we didn't have a monarchy.
They're used a bit for tourism, and tabloid papers like to report on the things they do, but otherwise, they're expendable to the eyes of 70% of the British public.
Reply 13
Well, no, because in the end we dictate legislation and she merely confirms it, so in essence, she's not better than us.

That's not what she, or any member of her family who take up royal positions, think.

Plus, they bring in a net profit of 1.15 billion pounds, that easily pays of the 10,15 million pounds of allowance they're given. What sources debunk the revenue "myth"?

The huge majority of that is not linked to the current monarch. A simple comparison between Buckingham Palace or Windsor and Versailles shows this. If we are to judge the royal family on their income potential then it would be of more financial benefit to chop off their heads and open all royal residences up for public viewing.
Original post by ODES_PDES
:s-smilie:

Don't tell Hillary :shh:
Original post by Melancholy
Have you paid your energy Bill Clinton. McDonalds in a forest would be nice. Extra trees. Burn the wood for the energy. Then no Bill. Makes sense.

Also, eat the Mac for your own energy to cut and burn trees. Use sun for the burn. But then where to get Mac energy? From sun, cows and grass. Simple. Don't tell Hillary.

I have to admit, I am very confused
Reply 16
Original post by Fractite
They're used a bit for tourism, and tabloid papers like to report on the things they do, but otherwise, they're expendable to the eyes of 70% of the British public.

Did you know 86% of statistics are made up on the spot?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/10206708/Confidence-in-British-monarchy-at-all-time-high-poll-shows.html

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/09/08/monarchy-here-stay/

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/may/24/queen-diamond-jubilee-record-support
(edited 7 years ago)
What is going on?
To me they are so useless, everything they stand for is annoying. Firstly they lead lives of luxury and privilege, go to the best schools have wonderful childhoods etc ; which they did nothing to earn. They represent the outdated notion of 'class' an aristocracy which to me means merely keeping success within a group of people just because they happened to be born into it. Secondly I hate they way they act like they are successes and deserve respect.

They do all this 'charity' work which involves them going to other countries on what are basically glorified holidays. Then educationally most of them are pretty rubbish/average for the schools they went to. For example 'prince' Harry got scraped a B and D after going to Eton in History and Geography. Let's face if he lived in the real world he would probably be stacking shelves not be an army officer. They are not good role models, throwing lavish parties when the economy is in turmoil. This isn't out of jealousy, even if I was rich I'd still hate them because of the way their air of superiority isn't really to do with them being rich but 'titled'. Thoughts?
Is this not treason?

Quick Reply

Latest