The Student Room Group

Aqa gcse - food technology 2016

Does anyone know what to revise for the food tech exam? HELPPPPPP
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

what is the topic for this exam ?
My teacher said that Q1 is meant to be on protein, a protein product for a specific culture or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by magicstars1233
Does anyone know what to revise for the food tech exam? HELPPPPPP

If you're doing AQA like I am, I have looked through past papers from 2010 and there aren't many patterns in terms of what comes up every year, so basically everything you don't know or aren't confident in, in terms of the syllabus and what could come up in the exam.

You should have been given the preliminary material which means vaguely that Section A will include; Designing savoury main meals that are high in protein and based around the flavours and dishes of another culture, but of course to make it a 'new' product.

For Section B and onwards a variety of subjects could come up, and after going through the past papers there's not really any patterns, but some subjects do tend to come up more often.
Examples of these are;
- The (new) Eat well Guide/ Balanced Diet/ Different diets and how to adapt dishes to these needs.
- Nutritional/labelling and GDA (Traffic light labelling and the law etc.)
- Standard Components and why they are used etc.
- Equipment (Food processors and Probes mostly, but no guarantees.)
- Food hygiene (bacteria at different temperatures.)
- CAD/CAM (almost every year but again, no guarantees)
- Quality Control
- Environment (types of packaging, Food miles etc.)

Other subjects that can come up, but with no way of telling if they will are;
- The properties and functions of/ in food (Starch, Sugars, Protein, Fats and Oils and processes and techniques.)
- Nutrients, the function in the body and where they are sourced from.
- Different diets, their needs and how to develop a product to fit them. - Combining Ingredients (Raising agents, Food structures, Cake and Pastry making methods, sauce making methods, Bread)
- Acids and Alkalis (uses)
-All equipment, its uses and nutrition.
- Food storage (How does chilling and freezing affect products etc.)
- Food handling and hygiene by workers.
- Additives (uses and effects etc.)
- Food production (One off, Batch, Mass)
- Packaging materials (Advantages, Disadvantages, different types of plastics etc.)
- Ethical issues (Fairtrade etc.)
- Sensory testing methods and test kitchens (conditions needed)

I think that’s about it for the content needed to be covered and although I’ve only put heading and a few things involved in that subject I hope this will be of some help!

Please tell me if this is helpful and also I would love to hear how other schools apart from my own have dealt with the whole course, including coursework. Because at my school we only just finished coursework (It was our fault as a class for not getting it done) and we haven’t really learnt any content for the exam, so I guess it’s GCSE in a week for me. But I’m really curious and interested to see how other people did in their previous mocks and in their course work. Thank you!
@KelseyXS,

My school is also with the AQA exam board and we have the same preliminary material, wer finished our coursework before the easter holidays and since we got back into school content revision is all that we have been doing, including practice questions for section A of the exam based on 'designing savoury main meals that are high in protein and based around the flavours and dishes of another culture'
Can anyone tell me what the preliminary material is for AQA, as my teacher has said nothing.
Thanks =)
Does anyone know if we need to draw one or two designs for section A? Last year you only had to draw 1 but write 3, whereas all the previous years have asked you to draw 2.
Reply 7
Original post by Examscanyounot
Does anyone know if we need to draw one or two designs for section A? Last year you only had to draw 1 but write 3, whereas all the previous years have asked you to draw 2.

My teacher said that although there has been mostly 2 to draw, there is no way of knowing what it's going to be on a specific year, so it's best to just practice writing and drawing different ideas in accordance to the preliminary material, and it's best to remeber at least 2 recipes.
Reply 8
Original post by Charlottegrace15
Can anyone tell me what the preliminary material is for AQA, as my teacher has said nothing.
Thanks =)

To design a high protein savoury meal that has aspects or is from another culture/ is multicultural.
Original post by KelseyXS
To design a high protein savoury meal that has aspects or is from another culture/ is multicultural.

Thank you!!!
Reply 10
Does anyone know an example of this?? My teacher said lasagne or sweet and sour chicken but idk what to do if something sweet comes up
Reply 11
Original post by TinniMS
Does anyone know an example of this?? My teacher said lasagne or sweet and sour chicken but idk what to do if something sweet comes up

It's very unlikely something sweet will come up as the pre-release material states that it will be a protein main meal and you don't get sweet main meals.

My teacher said that for the design criteria, it is likely to be some of the following:
- must be a high protein main meal
- must include an animal source of HBV protein
- must reflect a specified food culture
- must contain a suitable sauce
- must contain at least one portion of vegetables
- must meet the requirements of the 'Eatwell plate'
- must be aesthetically pleasing

If you find a meal that suits all of these criteria, you are most likely set.

I think lasagna is a good one to do and so is a stir-fry or sweet and sour chicken.
That exam... What did you guys write for the question about how to do a product analysis? (8mark)
Original post by Chantell.Os
That exam... What did you guys write for the question about how to do a product analysis? (8mark)

I wrote about product disassembly and analysing different components and I think I mentioned using a computer aswell to analyse nutritional values?

The exam was all over the place, with 6 markers everywhere & section A completely different... my hopes for an A* are over👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Gutted all my research for section one was high protein with meat I didn't even consider vegetarian
Original post by GCSEStudent386
I wrote about product disassmbly and analysing different components and I think I mentioned using a computer aswell to analyse nutritional values?

The exam was all over the place, with 6 markers everywhere & section A completely different... my hopes for an A* are over👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote the same thing, i was hoping for an A* but I think I got an A
but compared to previous year that exam was hell!!
Original post by Chantell.Os
I wrote the same thing, i was hoping for an A* but I think I got an A
but compared to previous year that exam was hell!!

Yeah, I agree. Last years paper was much nicer because a lot of the specification content came up but this year it was more randomised, like they didn't know what to put on almost?

I was too, but I need 139 UMS which was 104 marks last year - that is not going to happen whatsoever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Does anybody know what the lowest grade you can get in the exam is to still secure an A*? I achieved 89/90 in my controlled assessment but after that exam which was pretty awful I'm not sure I achieved an A* in that paper. But what is the lowest grade/mark you can get in the exam to still get an A* overall?
lol
I swear there were like 5 6 markers, micronutrients were not in our spec, and never learnt about product analysis?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending