The Student Room Group

What is happening after A/S levels?

Hi so I was wondering what other people's colleges are doing after A/S exams are done. Like in lower sixth we weren't given study leave and have been in college and on timetable after daily exams. And now that there isn't much longer with exams going on my college are starting upper sixth work! Is anybody else's doing that? Also the college are doing a 'personal development week' where we go on trips or do work placement off timetable! Is anybody's college doing something similar?
Original post by IWishIWasAWizard
Hi so I was wondering what other people's colleges are doing after A/S exams are done. Like in lower sixth we weren't given study leave and have been in college and on timetable after daily exams. And now that there isn't much longer with exams going on my college are starting upper sixth work! Is anybody else's doing that? Also the college are doing a 'personal development week' where we go on trips or do work placement off timetable! Is anybody's college doing something similar?

Our school always start the next year's work in term 6. As far as they're concerned the year starts in june so we'll go straight into a2 topics and the epq but that's normal for our school.
My 6th form appears to be doing random ass stuff I don't quite understand for a few days and then starting the A2 stuff.

Gonna be fun sitting in French when I wanna drop it after results day...
Original post by Retired_Messiah
My 6th form appears to be doing random ass stuff I don't quite understand for a few days and then starting the A2 stuff.

I feel the same, we are just sat watching films in media lessons for next year when I'm dropping on results day
Original post by Retired_Messiah

That's the main problem with starting the A2 work straight away. People are wasting their time in lessons they don't want to be in learning stuff they won't ever be tested on. I don't know about your school but our head of 6th form won't let us drop a subject until results day, so we have no choice.
I feel the same, we are just sat watching films in media lessons for next year when I'm dropping on results day

Sat watching films sounds better than learning French that would never appear in any casual conversation with a French person ever, at least.
Original post by miless090
That's the main problem with starting the A2 work straight away. People are wasting their time in lessons they don't want to be in learning stuff they won't ever be tested on. I don't know about your school but our head of 6th form won't let us drop a subject until results day, so we have no choice.
Aye we can't drop either. The reasoning I've been given I sort of understand. If you drop and then totally fail one of the subjects you were planning on keeping but pass the thing you drop with flying colours it's a bit awks. Unfortunately they underestimated my dislike for French, I'd attempt to drop it regardless of results. Oh well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6

I think most sixth forms do that. My sixth form did about a fifth of the content of A2 within those 6 weeks
Even in subjects where we have exams coming up, we've been doing nothing but playing games and talking. All year I've dreamed of those lessons but now I'm bored out of my mind! Those "lessons" are stressing me out more than the upcoming exams because I'm fed up of being there. Especially when the year 11s and 13s can go on study leave while we can't because of reformed subjects.

We have to learn the content in case the grades don't go the way we won't them to, and i go to sixth form that is not attached to a school, so if we are 100% certain we are dropping a subject we have the ability to go and sit with our pastoral mentors and work on other subjects.
Even in subjects where we have exams coming up, we've been doing nothing but playing games and talking. All year I've dreamed of those lessons but now I'm bored out of my mind! Those "lessons" are stressing me out more than the upcoming exams because I'm fed up of being there. Especially when the year 11s and 13s can go on study leave while we can't because of reformed subjects.

In the subjects we still have exams in we are revising (only one for me) but in the rest we have the ability to start A2 independently or just revise for any up coming exams.
we have 2 weeks where we start A2 prep starts like 13th june, and a week with trips/stuff
After exams my sixth form will start to teach A2 and will be looking at UCAS and personal statements, work experience etc
In the subjects we still have exams in we are revising (only one for me) but in the rest we have the ability to start A2 independently or just revise for any up coming exams.

We should be revising but it was the end of term. We didn't want to be there, we wanted to be on study leave, so because we stopped caring, the teachers stopped caring and so we did nothing.

On Friday, my Physics teacher had 3 lessons. 1 with year 11, 1 with year 12 and 1 with year 13. Years 11 and 13 are on study leave. He could be bothered to come in for 1 lesson (I don't blame him) so we got a free period.
We should be revising but it was the end of term. We didn't want to be there, we wanted to be on study leave, so because we stopped caring, the teachers stopped caring and so we did nothing.

On Friday, my Physics teacher had 3 lessons. 1 with year 11, 1 with year 12 and 1 with year 13. Years 11 and 13 are on study leave. He could be bothered to come in for 1 lesson (I don't blame him) so we got a free period.

Because I go to a sixth form not attached to a school the only people actually on timetable are lower sixth (year 12) the teachers are quite lenient like we're allowed to go to the Starbucks inside of college and get a drink and bring it back up but we have to work still.
I go back to school on the 13th June, where we start learning A2 things. Alongside this we start registering with UCAS
Posted from TSR Mobile
We start A2 on the 14th of June.
Problem is I will still have Maths exams up until the 24th of June :/
So in Chemistry and Physics, we will start learning A2 content, while I still have to study for exams!
Reply 16
I had study leave that started on May 13th and finishes June 6th, when we go back from half term.

Then we have two weeks of A2 work...I completely get where you guys are coming from. It's gonna be so fun sitting in French knowing I'm dropping it on results day no matter what grade I get:biggrin:

Then I have to endure another two weeks of Welsh Baccalaureate work. Sat in the same room. For four hours a day. For two. Whole. Weeks. Pray for me.

Then I (finally) finish on July 1st.

Quick Reply

Latest