The Student Room Group

What AS grades would I need to get into a Russell group university?

ij
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 160998
I have my final S1 exam to go, but so far all my exams have gone a lot worse than anticipated. Worst case scenario I will retake the AS' needed and apply to uni for the following year.
I was wondering what grades are usually required for Russell group universities, and if anyone has done worse than predicted and still got offers?

Also, do we apply with these AS grades or our predictions? I thought the system changed now, seeing as most of my AS' do not count towards my final grade, but I'm unsure.

You could get BCC/BBC and still get offers as long as your personal statement and references are very good. BBB will get you offers from a lot if you have strong GCSE's and a decent personal statement. Don't stress

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wot the dude above said.
Original post by 160998
Also, do we apply with these AS grades or our predictions? I thought the system changed now, seeing as most of my AS' do not count towards my final grade, but I'm unsure.

I've heard it was the AS grades you apply with but I'm not sure.

I hope it's not my predictions, them folks misunderestimated me.
Reply 3
Best to get all Bs as a minimum, or As and Bs. I don't know anyone who got into a Russell group with less than all Bs personally, but that's just the people I know
Reply 4
Original post by rxns_00
Best to get all Bs as a minimum, or As and Bs. I don't know anyone who got into a Russell group with less than all Bs personally, but that's just the people I know

They're asking about AS grades not A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by thad33
They're asking about AS grades not A2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes... Exactly?? I'm talking about AS grades. By "got into a RS" I mean got an offer
Reply 6
Original post by rxns_00
Yes... Exactly?? I'm talking about AS grades. By "got into a RS" I mean got an offer

I know a few who got into RG uni's with less than BBB at AS. I also know someone who got an offer to study medicine with BBB at AS.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Wot the dude above said.

I've heard it was the AS grades you apply with but I'm not sure.

I hope it's not my predictions, them folks misunderestimated me.

For me when I applied I had to give both my achieved AS grades as well as my predicted final grades.
Reply 8
I got BBCD at AS (2014) and got offers from Birmingham, Nottingham, Warwick and Bath. Seeing as you'll apply with predictions due to the new system, you should be fine. I think people over estimate how hard it is to get an offer from a RG university. Actually making that offer and improving at A2 is another story however...
Reply 9
Original post by thad33
I know a few who got into RG uni's with less than BBB at AS. I also know someone who got an offer to study medicine with BBB at AS.

That's great, did you miss the part when I said "but that's just the people I know personally"?
I'm giving advice based on own experience, better safe with higher grades
Maybe it also depends on the subject you want to study? I don't know.
Reply 11
Original post by TajwarC
I got BBCD at AS (2014) and got offers from Birmingham, Nottingham, Warwick and Bath. Seeing as you'll apply with predictions due to the new system, you should be fine. I think people over estimate how hard it is to get an offer from a RG university. Actually making that offer and improving at A2 is another story however...

Agreed, I said this exact thing when all my offers came through. It definitely depends on the degree but there are other factors:

•

GCSE grades

•

Personal statement

•

Extracurricular, certain uni's will snap you up if you're great at sport

•

Studying at underachieving high school/college

•

How you achieved BBB (averaging A's but one bad exam and getting a D for example)

•

etc etc

For us AS grades basically make our predicted grades :/
Reply 13
Original post by rxns_00
That's great, did you miss the part when I said "but that's just the people I know personally"?
I'm giving advice based on own experience, better safe with higher grades

Take it easy, it's not a competition.
Reply 14
Original post by SuperHuman98
For us AS grades basically make our predicted grades :/

For us some subjects like sociology don't even have an AS exam
Reply 15
Original post by thad33
Agreed, I said this exact thing when all my offers came through. It definitely depends on the degree but there are other factors:

•

GCSE grades

•

Personal statement

•

Extracurricular, certain uni's will snap you up if you're great at sport

•

Studying at underachieving high school/college

•

How you achieved BBB (averaging A's but one bad exam and getting a D for example)

•

etc etc

Do a lot of you do loads of extra curricular? :frown:
Reply 16
Original post by TajwarC

thats so good, where did you end up going?
Original post by 160998
thats so good, where did you end up going?

Long story short I fell short of my insurance and firm but I still somehow made it into a RG university through clearing (Southampton for BSc Chemistry) and deffered entry. I'm currently on a gap year resitting some exams
Reply 18
Original post by 160998
Do a lot of you do loads of extra curricular? :frown:

I played football at a decent level and kept up a few hobbies but nothing major. I honestly wouldn't stress.
If you ace your A2 exams you can get into some great uni's through adjustment. Otherwise take a gap year and apply with actual grades which you'll get guaranteed offers from a lot of the top 15 if you meet the requirements.
Original post by 160998
I have my final S1 exam to go, but so far all my exams have gone a lot worse than anticipated. Worst case scenario I will retake the AS' needed and apply to uni for the following year.
I was wondering what grades are usually required for Russell group universities, and if anyone has done worse than predicted and still got offers?

My teacher made it sound like you'd need 4A's lol. I got BCCC yet got offers from Manchester, Cardiff, Birmingham, Exeter and Nottingham for civil engineering. That being said I think I'm on course for A*AB now. But I think predictions matter more. If you have a genuine reason why you flopped then your teachers need to put it in your references.

Original post by thad33
bs. What University was it? I don't know any medical school in the country that would accept that. There's always extreme cases but that's too much lol. That being said, my friend got an mechanical engineering offer from Queen Marys and an electrical engineering offer from Kings.... His AS grades were DDEU. I didn't think it was possible. Honestly just from hearing that I'd never apply to any of those courses at any of those Unis. How can you let people in that easily lol
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply