The Student Room Group

Mark Schemes vs Correct Answers

:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by hettyshaw
If (in Science specifically!) you write an answer that relates to the question and is correct, but isn't specifically on the mark scheme do examiners tend to achieve marks for it? For instance I've moved on etc from the Physics AQA P1 exam and thought it went well, but eg when it asked for similar properties of microwaves and infrared I know they can travel through vacuums etc which is what most wrote, but I wrote they both have long wavelengths and low frequencies and just wondered if anyone knew how this sort of answer for instance would be marked?

Many thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They'll have a set of answers to credit and sometimes things to ignore. Usually the answers are quite specific, so if it's not in the markscheme or isnt just basically the answer in the markscheme but worded differently then probably not.
The markscheme is made so that they know what to mark. If its not in it then no. Your answer is incorrect because infrared and microwaves do not necessarily have long wavelengths (infrared can be 10^-5 metres in scale).
Reply 3
Your answer could be right knowledge wise but if it's not on the mark scheme you won't be credited for it. For those type of questions where you have to lost the properties, usually 6/7 answers are on the mark scheme so yours must match that
If (in Science specifically!) you write an answer that relates to the question and is correct, but isn't specifically on the mark scheme do examiners tend to achieve marks for it? For instance I've moved on etc from the Physics AQA P1 exam and thought it went well, but eg when it asked for similar properties of microwaves and infrared I know they can travel through vacuums etc which is what most wrote, but I wrote they both have long wavelengths and low frequencies and just wondered if anyone knew how this sort of answer for instance would be marked?Many thanks :smile:Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my daysssss, I put that too!!!! :redface: I said that they have similar frequency (short) and similar wavelength (long). Man, 2 easy marks lost!!!! :s-smilie: Hope you did well though!!
If (in Science specifically!) you write an answer that relates to the question and is correct, but isn't specifically on the mark scheme do examiners tend to achieve marks for it? For instance I've moved on etc from the Physics AQA P1 exam and thought it went well, but eg when it asked for similar properties of microwaves and infrared I know they can travel through vacuums etc which is what most wrote, but I wrote they both have long wavelengths and low frequencies and just wondered if anyone knew how this sort of answer for instance would be marked?

Many thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it's wrong. As someone else has pointed out, you didn't learn it well enough, if you missed the other 7 obvious points.

Quick Reply

Latest