The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Graduate with social anxiety - working as an analyst?

Hi

I have had social anxiety for quite a few years now, but I have worked hard on improving it. I have done quite well academically and am looking into a career in finance. I have a job interview next month as a business analyst for a small/medium financial company.

Would this be a good career choice given my situation. I find group situations very overwhelming and anxiety provoking, but 1:1 is easier for me. Also, I have quite strong analytical skills.

Does anyone have any experience as an analyst? Does it involve a lot of presentations and group work? I do want to work with others, and eventually reduce my anxiety, but I think it is best if I work somewhere where there is more working by yourself, or on a 1:1 basis, so I can actually succeed

Does anyone have any general advice for working with social anxiety? The interview for example I am very nervous about, but I really want to succeed and in the long term overcome this

Thank you for the advice
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

I have had social anxiety for quite a few years now, but I have worked hard on improving it. I have done quite well academically and am looking into a career in finance. I have a job interview next month as a business analyst for a small/medium financial company.

Would this be a good career choice given my situation. I find group situations very overwhelming and anxiety provoking, but 1:1 is easier for me. Also, I have quite strong analytical skills.

Does anyone have any experience as an analyst? Does it involve a lot of presentations and group work? I do want to work with others, and eventually reduce my anxiety, but I think it is best if I work somewhere where there is more working by yourself, or on a 1:1 basis, so I can actually succeed

Does anyone have any general advice for working with social anxiety? The interview for example I am very nervous about, but I really want to succeed and in the long term overcome this

Thank you for the advice

This is a really late reply I'm sorry! I don't know much about being an analyst but from the anxiety side of things, is there any way you can practice interviews and then group situations etc before you go if you've not already had it? Write a list of obvious interview questions (and any others you can think of based on your CV etc) and come up with answers for them then get people to ask you them- if you can someone you might normally be anxious around but this may not be possibly. Find as much out as possible about the company, people and what you'll be doing and try and familiarise yourself with the area or your route to get there to minimise the possibility of getting lost on the way which would only add to anxiety.

There's probably more but that's all I can think of right now! For people that have done this kind of thing it might be worth making a thread in one of the Career sectors and graduate employment forums, I could move this there too if you wanted but you wouldn't be able to post anonymously. Hope that helps a little bit, and good luck!

Latest