The Student Room Group

1 million Turks celebrated the conquest of İstanbul

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saeed9725
The single most followed denomination of any religion is sunni islam.

Yes, but as i said, it is fragmented.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Well, byzantium was orthodox. What are you saying? Russia could retake Constantinople if it wanted to.

Russia struggles with keeping Crimea.
Taking- and holding- much bigger and culturally different place (not to mention war with Nato) is simply impossible.
Original post by simon_g
Russia struggles with keeping Crimea.
Taking- and holding- much bigger and culturally different place (not to mention war with Nato) is simply impossible.

Russia has hardly struggled taking the Crimea, they have received barely any opposition. I think that, in isolation (I.E. Disregarding NATO), russia would annihilate Turkey in a war.
Russia has hardly struggled taking the Crimea, they have received barely any opposition. I think that, in isolation (I.E. Disregarding NATO), russia would annihilate Turkey in a war.

keeping I wrote, not taking it.
the cost of bringing the levels of service to the new russian citizens is enormous.

And yeah, few nukes would destroy Turkey- but what would be the point of doing that? Russia doesn't have a force big and strong enough for a longer occupation. simple as that.
New byzantine empire when? greece needs to retake it

It is nigh!
The Russian will help!
Original post by simon_g
keeping I wrote, not taking it.
the cost of bringing the levels of service to the new russian citizens is enormous.

And yeah, few nukes would destroy Turkey- but what would be the point of doing that? Russia doesn't have a force big and strong enough for a longer occupation. simple as that.

I wasn't talking about nuking Turkey, I meant crossing the Caucasus through Armenia as they did during the first world war, and annihilating the turks on the plains of Asia minor.

I am not sure that maintaining control over crimea has been too difficult, opposition seems to be disorganised and low level.
in 500 + years the turks got nothing else to be proud of
Reply 27
New byzantine empire when? greece needs to retake it

I'm all in favour of a new crusade to liberate Constantinople from the Saracen occupiers. Where can I sign up?
Original post by Wōden
I'm all in favour of a new crusade to liberate Constantinople from the Saracen occupiers. Where can I sign up?

deus vult
Reply 29
Original post by SemiteLog
Yesterday about 1 million Turks met in YeniKapi district to celebrate 563 years of the conquest of Istanbul.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36419723

What a great country you are from.
Sigh

It's only a matter of time before the map of Europe is redrawn again.
Reply 31
Istanbul will be the capital of Turkiye and Hagia Sophia Church will be opened as a mosque soon.

Quick Reply