The Student Room Group

Places that teenagers can do volunteering

I'm 15, I will be 16 in November.

I did some volunteering in a salvation army charity shop as part of my bronze dofe. I didn't enjoy it much.

I would like to do some other form of volunteering that perhaps makes more of a difference to peoples lives and looks more impressive on a CV.

I'm halving difficulty finding anywhere online so if anyone has any ideas or links they could give me that would be very helpful.

Scroll to see replies

I did volunteering at my local library for a reading award thing to encourage younger children to read more.

One place I would recommend is at a special needs school etc though this will be more at times when school will be on so best at summer time. You will however need to be able to cope with very difficult situations, in a calm manner and some ways of dealing things will be very hard to do.
I've done volunteering at a charity shop, a castle and at a zoo The zoo was probably the most fun to be honest! Look on websites for volunteering opportunities around you, that's how I found mine! There were pages and pages of different places I could go. You can do admin, fundraising, youth work etc.. I did mine over the summer/weekends
I went on VolunteeringWales for mine and there was actually so much, i applied to about 10 ;P
Original post by Vikingninja
I did volunteering at my local library for a reading award thing to encourage younger children to read more.

One place I would recommend is at a special needs school etc though this will be more at times when school will be on so best at summer time. You will however need to be able to cope with very difficult situations, in a calm manner and some ways of dealing things will be very hard to do.

Ok thanks those sound interesting and unique. Are these placements usually advertised or do you need to ask??
Original post by BubbleLover98
I've done volunteering at a charity shop, a castle and at a zoo The zoo was probably the most fun to be honest! Look on websites for volunteering opportunities around you, that's how I found mine! There were pages and pages of different places I could go. You can do admin, fundraising, youth work etc.. I did mine over the summer/weekends
I went on VolunteeringWales for mine and there was actually so much, i applied to about 10 ;P

Ok thanks, i will look into those :smile:
I don't know whether there is a group in your area, but have you thought about Riding for the Disabled? You don't actually have to have previous experience with horses, or necessarily actually work with them and it's definitely something which makes the lives of the participants more interesting / enjoyable.

http://www.rda.org.uk/donatefundraise/volunteering/volunteering-faqs/

Re holiday reading schemes, just go along to your local library and ask - our local scheme is always in need of volunteers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ___Sophie___
Ok thanks those sound interesting and unique. Are these placements usually advertised or do you need to ask??

Depends. Some places you will need to ask if there is any opportunity but sometimes a organisation may advertise what they do looking for volunteers. My library volunteer programme was advertised at my college on some "for the future day". Would like to ask but what are you performing this next volunteering for?
Original post by Isinglass
I don't know whether there is a group in your area, but have you thought about Riding for the Disabled? You don't actually have to have previous experience with horses, or necessarily actually work with them and it's definitely something which makes the lives of the participants more interesting / enjoyable.

http://www.rda.org.uk/donatefundraise/volunteering/volunteering-faqs/

Re holiday reading schemes, just go along to your local library and ask - our local scheme is always in need of volunteers.

Thank you that does look really good, luckily there are a few places nearby
I volunteered at the British Heart Foundation during college, it was super easy to get one there.
Depends. Some places you will need to ask if there is any opportunity but sometimes a organisation may advertise what they do looking for volunteers. My library volunteer programme was advertised at my college on some "for the future day". Would like to ask but what are you performing this next volunteering for?

Ok thanks.
I'm keen to do some more volunteering because I want to do something good for others, also for my CV and I think it would be a worthwhile way to use my free time.
Original post by EllainKahlo
I volunteered at the British Heart Foundation during college, it was super easy to get one there.

What did you do there?
Ok thanks.
I'm keen to do some more volunteering because I want to do something good for others, also for my CV and I think it would be a worthwhile way to use my free time.

Yeah I would say helping at special needs organisations would be good for these reasons. If you are thinking of going to uni I wouldn't put loads of volunteering projects in your personal statement since you are limited to what you talk about and a small amount is stuff unrelated to the course.
Yeah I would say helping at special needs organisations would be good for these reasons. If you are thinking of going to uni I wouldn't put loads of volunteering projects in your personal statement since you are limited to what you talk about and a small amount is stuff unrelated to the course.

Yeah I agree with that :smile: thanks
What did you do there?

Admittedly, it was boring. I think this was because it was a small one. We just stacked shelves with new books that came in, alphabetised them and also put clothes on racks and handed out ribbons and pins to passers-by for a pound. Very easy job.
Admittedly, it was boring. I think this was because it was a small one. We just stacked shelves with new books that came in, alphabetised them and also put clothes on racks and handed out ribbons and pins to passers-by for a pound. Very easy job.

Yeah sounds quite similar to what I did at the salvation army
Yeah sounds quite similar to what I did at the salvation army

Honestly, in the experience of myself and my friends, the younger we were when looking for a job, the harder it was. Because no one wanted to take people who wouldn't work a full day, every day and someone who's main interest is their studies. They want to be able to call on you when they feel like it, even at night, and because that's illegal at 16, they're in no rush to give 16-year-olds job. All the cooler jobs were off-limits.

Are you volunteering just because you're bored and want something to do plus the CV thing or the CV alone? Loads of people will say this - and it is true, colleges and unis don't care about you volunteering unless it has some direct relationship to what job you want in the future. I wished I'd listened to that when I got my volunteering job because it was honestly a waste of my time - I only did it for my CV, and it's on there and has never impacted my life.
Honestly, in the experience of myself and my friends, the younger we were when looking for a job, the harder it was. Because no one wanted to take people who wouldn't work a full day, every day and someone who's main interest is their studies. They want to be able to call on you when they feel like it, even at night, and because that's illegal at 16, they're in no rush to give 16-year-olds job. All the cooler jobs were off-limits.

Are you volunteering just because you're bored and want something to do plus the CV thing or the CV alone? Loads of people will say this - and it is true, colleges and unis don't care about you volunteering unless it has some direct relationship to what job you want in the future. I wished I'd listened to that when I got my volunteering job because it was honestly a waste of my time - I only did it for my CV, and it's on there and has never impacted my life.

Yeah I know it won't help with my university applications, I want to do languages. I am planning on volunteering abroad next summer so if I find somewhere that I can volunteer where one of my languages is spoken then I guess that would look good.

I'm thinking of volunteering for my CV and also to do something worthwhile that makes a difference to others. It will be a better use of my free time in my opinion.
Why volunteer? Get a job get money. For my bronze d of e my volunteering was selling the food and drink at break time when I was in cadets this took 14minutes a week and I nicked a free drink each time by charging 5extra to people who didn't like me
Original post by niteninja1
Why volunteer? Get a job get money. For my bronze d of e my volunteering was selling the food and drink at break time when I was in cadets this took 14minutes a week and I nicked a free drink each time by charging 5extra to people who didn't like me

Lol ok
But to get a decent part time job ie. not working in a chip shop like the people in my school then wouldn't having some volunteering help? I am planning on getting a part time job at some point when I am 16.
i had no experience work at waitrose

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending