The Student Room Group

English Language exam

can anyone tell me how to achieve a grade A/A* please, Im really stuck
One of the key things in a language exam is to use small quotations so you can weave them through your answer, e.g. instead of using "brightly coloured coral overflowing with life" use "brightly coloured" and "overflowing with life" as separate quotations. This allows your writing to flow smoothly and you can also reach the top bands as you would then analyse individual words - this 'zooming in' is a key part of getting the top marks in language (and literature too) so by using small quotes you can do this easily.
Hope this helped, let me know if there's anything else

(source: A* language and literature student)
cheers, also how many marks would I need for a grade A/A* and how many techniques would I need to use throughout my work please?
Original post by Mr revision
cheers, also how many marks would I need for a grade A/A* and how many techniques would I need to use throughout my work please?

The language paper is out of 80. The boundaries differ quite a bit through the years e.g. 66/80 to 57/80 but I think that 60/80 is roughly an A*. In terms of techniques in Section A you can mention them if the question is not specific e.g. "What does the reader learn from...?" but make them a focus if the question asks for language techniques.
In Section B, try and use language techniques in your creative writing naturally e.g. similes, metaphors but don't force it, like using a simile in every sentence. Craft each sentence and don't forget, techniques can also include sentence length, structure, punctuation; you get marks on all these things if you use them effectively.
Reply 4
Don't copy everything from the article.
Q1) highlight the focus of the question and Summarise - 200 words maximum (Use colon sentences).
Q2) Talk about content(information and ideas in the article) and presentation such as Images,headings,subheading and layout of material.
Q3) Find similes, metaphors,repetition,imagery and personification. Also evaluate how effective the language choices are and what the words may convey.
I've learn't that in section B you should use subordinate clauses,Anaphora and onomatopoeia. If you use subordinate clauses the examiner will be really impressed.

I think it's 64 marks to get an A* because i got 58 which was one mark away from an A
(edited 7 years ago)
can anyone tell me how to achieve a grade A/A* please, Im really stuck

Hasn't this exam already been done?
Reply 6
Original post by Polarization
Hasn't this exam already been done?

nope, next week tuesday
Im doing igcse aqa but if I still do what you tell me to do will I still at least get a grade A
Reply 8
Im doing igcse aqa but if I still do what you tell me to do will I still at least get a grade A

yes, the advice I gave you is what my teacher said. It's the A680 paper.
cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending