The Student Room Group

Reading around the subject

So, anyone recommend any books for reading around the subject...?...things that would give me something to talk about in an interview as well. Thanks:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Aemiliana
Classics is huge, so what areas are you interested in?

Language, literature, history, mythology, philosophy etc? Greek or Roman?

Bit of background... I'm taking Latin + Greek next year for A-Level and hope to continue to study these at Uni.:colondollar:
I'm honestly not sure! I do quite like mythology, but probably more interested in history and Greek more so than Roman, for example the Trojan War. Not so sure about philosophy but am interested in archaeology e.g. Vesuvius. Thanks so much for your reply :smile:
Original post by fuzz13
Bit of background... I'm taking Latin + Greek next year for A-Level and hope to continue to study these at Uni.:colondollar:
I'm honestly not sure! I do quite like mythology, but probably more interested in history and Greek more so than Roman, for example the Trojan War. Not so sure about philosophy but am interested in archaeology e.g. Vesuvius. Thanks so much for your reply :smile:

Of course if you haven't I'd recommend reading the great classics like the Iliad, Odyssey and Aeneid, because they pervade so much of the other literature of the time and are really important for understanding! If you like history, I'd recommend Herodotus (because he's just so funny but also informative- also I may be wrong but I think he's on the GCSE syllabus?) and maybe some of Plutarch's parallel lives if you want to know specifics about Greek history (ie Pericles would be a key one). Also, strange as it may seem, I think plays like Trojan women and Ajax are good sources on the Trojan war, or at least how it was viewed. If you want more about this history, I know there are some great documentaries out there!

To begin with depending on how much you know though it might be useful to find an overview book of classics that helps you decide which sections you are really interested in, like a very short introduction to classics or something.

Archeology is harder in my opinion to find books on, but if you buy a general bookstore thing about Pompeii you'll probably find some great things in the references!

Like they said above, classics is huge and you'll find things you love and things you don't, but it's definitely worth it! Hope this helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Sophiestudies
Of course if you haven't I'd recommend reading the great classics like the Iliad, Odyssey and Aeneid, because they pervade so much of the other literature of the time and are really important for understanding! If you like history, I'd recommend Herodotus (because he's just so funny but also informative- also I may be wrong but I think he's on the GCSE syllabus?) and maybe some of Plutarch's parallel lives if you want to know specifics about Greek history (ie Pericles would be a key one). Also, strange as it may seem, I think plays like Trojan women and Ajax are good sources on the Trojan war, or at least how it was viewed. If you want more about this history, I know there are some great documentaries out there!

To begin with depending on how much you know though it might be useful to find an overview book of classics that helps you decide which sections you are really interested in, like a very short introduction to classics or something.

Archeology is harder in my opinion to find books on, but if you buy a general bookstore thing about Pompeii you'll probably find some great things in the references!

Like they said above, classics is huge and you'll find things you love and things you don't, but it's definitely worth it! Hope this helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! :smile: That's great, and after exams I'll definitely start to look at what books are out there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending