The Student Room Group

What is the best investment bank?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lolatmaths
wow, so you're pretty much doomed if you arent at oxbridge lol

Not really, from my experience of JP so far there's actually not that many from Ox/Cam (to be fair, there's not as many as you'd think from UK universities going off the Linkedin group for this summer's intake).

Also, my trading desk is a bit more quantitative than an average desk, which might explain an Ox/Cam bias (although I have no idea about where the other EDs, the VP or the Associate studied).
Original post by Noble.
Yeah, it does massively depend on the type of trading, but looking at S&T as a whole JP/GS are quite far ahead of other banks (and I don't think it's too unfair to consider banks as a whole, given that pretty much all recruitment in markets now is done via summer internships and very few banks give out summer offers on a desk specific basis).

Fair points. Even then, for someone who knows what product they want to be trading, wouldn't it be wise for them to consider the banks strong in that area? Say someone wants to trade equity derivs, thus opts for BNPP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Trapz99
So are they only going to hire one of the interns? Wow, I didn't know there was a low conversion rate for s&t.

(Congrats on getting the internship btw)

I am the only intern on my desk, but trading at JP does have a fairly low conversion rate (generally 30-40%) although I'm told the intern on my desk in the past has nearly always secured a trading job somewhere in rates within the bank, if not at their specific desk.

Thanks
Reply 23
Original post by Princepieman
Fair points. Even then, for someone who knows what product they want to be trading, wouldn't it be wise for them to consider the banks strong in that area? Say someone wants to trade equity derivs, thus opts for BNPP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No idea about how BNPP do internships, but if they do desk specific offers and you got an offer for a good desk then you're fine pretty much.
Original post by Passion LF

I assume you are looking for prestige and the fastest/broadest exits opps. possible (like most of us) go with GS MBD (preferably Equity/Credit), JPM LevFin or MS M&A execution (and avoid activism advisory within the team).

Why these suggestions specifically? What about the age-old GS TMT, PJT M&A, MS M&A bunch?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noble.
No idea about how BNPP do internships, but if they do desk specific offers and you got an offer for a good desk then you're fine pretty much.

Cool, cheers for the insight dude

Posted from TSR Mobile
The teams you mentioned are from the US point of view and are not true for Europe/EMEA (of course on a very (!) high level).

I would not place PJT, especially M&A - Blackstone R&R was the one to go in London, not M&A - in the same league as GS/JPM/MS. However, the rx and special sit. business is very strong, especially without the internal clash with GSO. If I am not mistaken they ranked first in debtor and creditor year to date, but you should not take rx league tables too seriously (you do not always get credit for the deals you have done).

Most of the teams at the three US banks will suit you well for an exit, but the ones i have mentioned have (at least in my opinion) the broadest and best exit opps.
Northern Trust Bank

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noble.
I am the only intern on my desk, but trading at JP does have a fairly low conversion rate (generally 30-40%) although I'm told the intern on my desk in the past has nearly always secured a trading job somewhere in rates within the bank, if not at their specific desk.

Thanks

Oh ok, if it's only one person on your desk then it's fine, I guess. I'm sure as long as you do all your work correctly and make friends with the other guys on the desk you'll get the offer! Good luck and thanks for the response.
Original post by Noble.
For S&T, GS/JP are the two places to be, I'd pick (and did) JP over GS.

agreed generally, apart from for equity s&t, if I am not mistaken, isn't MS a powerhouse in that and consistently ranks number 1 globally for it?

if only I was in the position of having an offer from one of the tier 1s </3
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Breakingbank
agreed generally, apart from for equity s&t, if I am not mistaken, isn't MS a powerhouse in that and consistently ranks number 1 globally for it?

if only I was in the position of having an offer from one of the tier 1s </3

Yeah, MS are a powerhouse in equities (mostly in prime and cash equities) although less so than they used to be.
The teams you mentioned are from the US point of view and are not true for Europe/EMEA (of course on a very (!) high level)

This seems like an important issue. Most of the info I've gathered thus far has been US-centric which may not accurately reflect the London offices. Ideally, if one wants to work in M&A, for instance, are they better trying to make a huge push for the NYC offices where the bigger deals may be made?
Original post by BizzStrut
This seems like an important issue. Most of the info I've gathered thus far has been US-centric which may not accurately reflect the London offices. Ideally, if one wants to work in M&A, for instance, are they better trying to make a huge push for the NYC offices where the bigger deals may be made?

Are US deals really bigger?

In my opinion London is the perfect place, if you want to learn modeling. GS and JPM, besides others but I do not know the other BBs that well, do not have a particular M&A Team and the Merger Model, Opp. Model and DCF is done within the coverage teams. LBOs, cap structure, waterfall... done mostly by LevFin, but it depends.

Means, that you are more process and execution driven, and do not only build pitch by pitch. In my opinion his is a huge advantage.
Original post by BizzStrut

it's not that deep, although what i will say is us office are a lot more execution than pitching
The teams you mentioned are from the US point of view and are not true for Europe/EMEA (of course on a very (!) high level).

I would not place PJT, especially M&A - Blackstone R&R was the one to go in London, not M&A - in the same league as GS/JPM/MS. However, the rx and special sit. business is very strong, especially without the internal clash with GSO. If I am not mistaken they ranked first in debtor and creditor year to date, but you should not take rx league tables too seriously (you do not always get credit for the deals you have done).

Most of the teams at the three US banks will suit you well for an exit, but the ones i have mentioned have (at least in my opinion) the broadest and best exit opps.

I would not recommend GS MBD - their conversion rate is below 25%.

Regarding PJT, juniors work across M&A and R&R. BX / PJT always had the best exit options in London. Now they're also #1 in EMEA R&R and hired a bunch of heavy hitters as M&A partners.
(edited 7 years ago)
goldman
Original post by therealmofo
I would not recommend GS MBD - their conversion rate is below 25%.

Regarding PJT, juniors work across M&A and R&R. BX / PJT always had the best exit options in London. Now they're also #1 in EMEA R&R and hired a bunch of heavy hitters as M&A partners.

PJT had these rain makers before, but there are currently pitching like crazy (in M&A). I talked to a lot of their guys, because I was very interested in their R&R business (but analysts are pooled anyway), where they are obviously killing it.

It's a great firm with an awesome (!) office, but most of the guys who left for the centerbrigdes and co. of the world where recruited via BX.

Let´s wait how it will turn out for the recent hires.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending