The Student Room Group

A levels

I completed AS at the sixth form at my high school, I got D E E in Sociology, Media and English Language. I then dropped out and restarted at a different college, in my AS I got A in Sociology (my other AS for sociology from sixth form obviously doesn't count and this replaces it) I also got BB in Health and Social and an E in Psychology. I need 280 UCAS points to get into Uni, do my previous AS grades before the ones I completed last year count? so the D and E? If so I already have 230 and what is the minimal I need to get in my A2 exams (Sociology and Double Health and Social- ABB) to get 280 ucas points and get into University? Thanks for your feedback! :smile:
Original post by ameliafletcher
I completed AS at the sixth form at my high school, I got D E E in Sociology, Media and English Language. I then dropped out and restarted at a different college, in my AS I got A in Sociology (my other AS for sociology from sixth form obviously doesn't count and this replaces it) I also got BB in Health and Social and an E in Psychology. I need 280 UCAS points to get into Uni, do my previous AS grades before the ones I completed last year count? so the D and E? If so I already have 230 and what is the minimal I need to get in my A2 exams (Sociology and Double Health and Social- ABB) to get 280 ucas points and get into University? Thanks for your feedback! :smile:

All of your qualifications have to be declared (so the first AS results followed by your new AS and A level results).

Only the highest points in a single subject will be counted in any tariff calculation - so if you're carrying on Sociology to A level then your AS results for sociology will earn zero tariff points.

However - university admissions isn't a game where you rack up tariff points and admission is automatically guaranteed. University often ask that tariff points come just from 3 A levels or equivalent (so to get 280 you'd need BCC equivalent at A level - your AS levels wouldn't count).

You apply with your predicted grades and get an offer unique to you - you have to fulfil those offer conditions (and they might not match the standard offer that a university publishes as a guide). If you haven't yet applied then you need to speak to the university concerned and ask whether your previous AS grades for media, english and psychology would count towards your offer. If you have applied then whether the ASs count will depend on your application - did you declare the AS results - and also the exact wording of your offer conditions.

If your 3 E grades at AS can count towards your offer of 280 then you need 250 from your Sociology and H&S...but you can't get 250 from A level equivalents so you'd need to get 260 which is CCC (or BCD or ADD).
Thanks for your help on this subject :smile: My University offers say 'Obtain 280 points from at least 2 'A' levels' so surely that means I can make up the rest of the points with AS? It's just a bit confusing that's all. I will ring them up to be sure though
Thanks again
Thanks for your help on this subject :smile: My University offers say 'Obtain 280 points from at least 2 'A' levels' so surely that means I can make up the rest of the points with AS? It's just a bit confusing that's all. I will ring them up to be sure though
Thanks again

If you declared the AS grades in your application then that wording means you need 280 in total and can include the AS grades in the 280....so CCC at A level/BTEC would filfil your offer conditions.
I rang the University and they said the As levels count. With what grades I currently have I have 230, so I could still do awful this year (worst case scenario) and get into University :smile:
I rang the University and they said the As levels count. With what grades I currently have I have 230, so I could still do awful this year (worst case scenario) and get into University :smile:

You don't have 230 at the moment - tariff points aren't added together in the same subject only the highest points in each subject counts (so you have 60 points for an A in AS sociology, 60 points for 3 Es in AS english, media and psychology and either 150 or 100 points for a BB at AS H&S - probably 100 which would make 220 points as things stand but NOT including 2 A levels and so your offer isn't met even if you had 2,000 tariff points from AS)

Only your AS levels in Psychology, Media and English Language can be added to your A level in sociology H&S. So you have 60 tariff points plus whatever you get in Sociology and H&S in August. To get 280 or above you need to get CCD or equivalent (assuming your H&S qualification is a full double vocational A level - if it isn't then you may not meet the condition of "at least 2 A levels").
Yes I know :smile: I have used a UCAS tariff calculator. I mean 230 so far from AS, but I have worked out i could get CCE and still get in with 290 UCAS points and that would be from at least 2 A levels Thanks for your help in explaining it more
Yes I know :smile: I have used a UCAS tariff calculator. I mean 230 so far from AS, but I have worked out i could get CCE and still get in with 290 UCAS points and that would be from at least 2 A levels Thanks for your help in explaining it more

CCE plus eee at AS is 260 tariff points not 280 (60 for the 3 es, 40 for the E at A level and 160 for the CC at A level)
CCD I mean sorry, I think I'll get BB or BC in health and social though, possibly AB if the exams go very well. I got D, E, E at AS level :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
All of your qualifications have to be declared (so the first AS results followed by your new AS and A level results).

Only the highest points in a single subject will be counted in any tariff calculation - so if you're carrying on Sociology to A level then your AS results for sociology will earn zero tariff points.

However - university admissions isn't a game where you rack up tariff points and admission is automatically guaranteed. University often ask that tariff points come just from 3 A levels or equivalent (so to get 280 you'd need BCC equivalent at A level - your AS levels wouldn't count).

You apply with your predicted grades and get an offer unique to you - you have to fulfil those offer conditions (and they might not match the standard offer that a university publishes as a guide). If you haven't yet applied then you need to speak to the university concerned and ask whether your previous AS grades for media, english and psychology would count towards your offer. If you have applied then whether the ASs count will depend on your application - did you declare the AS results - and also the exact wording of your offer conditions.

If your 3 E grades at AS can count towards your offer of 280 then you need 250 from your Sociology and H&S...but you can't get 250 from A level equivalents so you'd need to get 260 which is CCC (or BCD or ADD).

I have an offer of ABC from my firm choice, so does this mean I would be accepted with AAD seeing as that's an equivalent to ABC? Thanks in advance.
Original post by johnd45
I have an offer of ABC from my firm choice, so does this mean I would be accepted with AAD seeing as that's an equivalent to ABC? Thanks in advance.

It would mean you haven't met your offer conditions so whether you are accepted or not is at the discretion of your firm.
Original post by PQ
It would mean you haven't met your offer conditions so whether you are accepted or not is at the discretion of your firm.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest