The Student Room Group

Is size 8/10 chubby for someone who is 5"3?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
No, judging by you (and other people I've known in the past but not to do with this issue) clearly not everyone is nice... I would remind you that my BMI is 19.5. It is therefore much closer to underweight than overweight. It is well within the healthy range. I am a size 8/size 10 not 16 and I am not anywhere close to medically overweight. I will take your attitude and try to ignore it but the next person you say this to might not be able to. It's your type of attitude that can give people eating disorders.

Do you have a muffin top? How close are you to having a thigh gap? Is your tummy flat? How fat are your upper arms?
Original post by ivybridge
For a 20 year old, you're possibly one of the most immature users I've come across on this site. How a size 8 is 'fat' is beyond me. You prove how girls are their own worst enemies. The struggle women go through in our society because of constant pressure to be skinny, is disgusting and the fact that you're joining in on that immediately loses everybody's respect. Horrendous, totally horrendous.

Thank you, I completely agree. I tried to give you rep on all of your posts but it would only let me rate one at the moment.
Original post by Madeline_H95
A size 8 is not fat. I'm a size. HOWEVER, a size 8 on a girl very short is fat. A size 8 that short has a muffin top when wearing jeans and a bikini. Eat less and move more and you will be skinny. There is nothign wrong with being skinny and fat acceptance has gone too far. Having a thigh gap is important to me

You do realise that you're only a few inches taller than me; it's not as if you're 6"2 or something! Excuse me but how do you know that every size 8 girl who is about 5"3 has a muffin top? No, there is nothing wrong with being skinny however there IS a serious problem with your attitude! "Fat acceptance" is only a problem if the person is actually overweight and unhealthy and even then you should be constructive not nasty! Remember that having a good figure doesn't make up for a disgusting personality.
Original post by Lord Samosa
I don't think that's chubby at all. If you're happy with how you look then who cares what others think. Plus that's probably ideal, but what do I know :lol:

Thank you! :smile:
You sound a bit similar to me, I'm like 5'2.5" and I usually wear size 10 on my bottoms and 6/8 on tops. I do feel fat and I know I'm a bit chubby, but I know I'm not fat if you get what I mean... I mean - it seems to me that people like us are normal, just on the upper side. :P We're not fat yet and we're not slim, I guess we may be called curvy... At least I've got the luck of having a proportional, hourglass body, which is always something that makes me feel better :P
You didn't make a distinction. You said there is nothing wrong with being fat - there is something wrong with being fat, fat is disgusting. There is nothing wrong pressuring women to not be fat when women shouldn't be fat. No one is saying be size 0. They're just saying don't be fat.

He did make a distinction; he said that being at either end of the spectrum (either underweight or overweight) was unhealthy. There is something wrong with you "pressuring" other women to do anything. Yes, obviously people need to be educated and helped not to be seriously overweight and risking their health but "normal" for you seems to be between seriously underweight and the very low end of a healthy weight and anything above that according to you is "fat". You do realise that lots of girls could read this on here and your warped definition that anything above a size 6 or 8 depending on what height you are is "fat" could have a serious effect on people - you could actually cause someone to develop anorexia with an attitude like this.
Do you have a muffin top? How close are you to having a thigh gap? Is your tummy flat? How fat are your upper arms?

I have to say you are a truly abhorrent individual. Does it make you happy to try to belittle other people? Looking at your previous posts on other threads shows that this is not the only thing you have disgusting views on. Are you perfect? Do you have a perfect figure? Do you have perfect hair, skin, nails, teeth? Do you have perfect grades? I don't need to ask about a perfect personality... Kindness costs nothing; if you're so nasty to other people remember they can also pick up on your flaws. For the record, no I do not have a muffin top, I have a thigh gap, no my stomach is not completely flat but it is not big and no my upper arms are not fat.
I wear anything between sizes 6-10 (whatever's on sale! :tongue:) and I'm 5"4. Size 10 seems a tad bit loose and 6 very close fitted, but sometimes 6 is the perfect fit

Nowadays, I'm well into a size 8 though. I've gained quite a bit of weight while getting carried away revising for exams in the last few weeks. The last time I checked my weight I wasn't too happy with it. I feel chubby, but not fat. My face has a wide frame so my face looks fat anyway (but I can feel fat on my cheeks) but on my body I know I have a bit of excess padding. I don't have a muffin top but my thigh gap is quite narrow lol and I feel heavy on my upper arms.
I'm just waiting for exams (and Ramadan) to be over so I can get into a routine to improve my general fitness and hopefully drop back to a 6, maybe even push for 4 :redface:

I'd say we're just average, maybe on the higher side and we should appreciate that we're not clincally overweight nor have any eating disorders or anything :yes: Screw what some of the people on here think. They most likely think they're like supermodels or something (and if they're guys...think they can get one...)
Remember, if you're really self conscious, you can always cut down with a bit of willpower :-) It's never permanent, weight. But don't get carried away :yes:
Thank you! :smile: Would you say it would be better not to lose weight then?

I really think you're absolutely fine as is by the sounds of it! I don't think you need to lose weight:smile:
It's fine haha. It's not that late at all! I'm quite surprised your doctor doesn't want to help you to gain weight because you are right at the low end of underweight according to your BMI. Is it natural or have you had an eating disorder in the past if you don't mind me asking? You probably just have a larger frame/bone structure! Honestly, you have the type of figure loads of people (me included) really envy so you definitely don't need to worry! :biggrin: As long as you're healthy you're fine!

Doctors in UK are just doctors for the name....most of the time they are just guessing everything......not all though obviously.....yes exactly I am underweight but the doctors are like it is fine as you are not losing weight but on same level...what stupidity seriously.......I have tried to gain weight but it is just not happening I am eating as much as I can.
Someone at the same height and weight/size as you could look completely different because they have a different body shape, so it's hard to tell what anyone looks like from just a description.
Honestly, YOU being happy and healthy at your size/weight is the only thing that matters.
Doctors in UK are just doctors for the name....most of the time they are just guessing everything......not all though obviously.....yes exactly I am underweight but the doctors are like it is fine as you are not losing weight but on same level...what stupidity seriously.......I have tried to gain weight but it is just not happening I am eating as much as I can.

You must just be naturally underweight then. If you were losing weight they would probably need to test you for different medical conditions. That's probably what they mean. I know what you mean about doctors though - they weren't exactly great for my illness either. You should probably combine eating more with exercise in order to try and gain weight in a healthy way. To be honest though, if I was you I would just stay that size if you're healthy and it's your natural weight. I'm sure you look really great honestly.
Original post by Viridiana
You sound a bit similar to me, I'm like 5'2.5" and I usually wear size 10 on my bottoms and 6/8 on tops. I do feel fat and I know I'm a bit chubby, but I know I'm not fat if you get what I mean... I mean - it seems to me that people like us are normal, just on the upper side. :P We're not fat yet and we're not slim, I guess we may be called curvy... At least I've got the luck of having a proportional, hourglass body, which is always something that makes me feel better :P

Yeah I know what you mean - you feel sort of fatter than you should be for you but you know you're not actually fat. You do sound quite similar to me, I'm 5"3.5 and I'm a size 8 in tops and bottoms really but occasionally a size 6 or a size 10 depending on the shop and item of clothing. Haha good. :smile: Please don't listen to Madeline btw.
Original post by Serine Soul
I wear anything between sizes 6-10 (whatever's on sale! :tongue:) and I'm 5"4. Size 10 seems a tad bit loose and 6 very close fitted, but sometimes 6 is the perfect fit

Nowadays, I'm well into a size 8 though. I've gained quite a bit of weight while getting carried away revising for exams in the last few weeks. The last time I checked my weight I wasn't too happy with it. I feel chubby, but not fat. My face has a wide frame so my face looks fat anyway (but I can feel fat on my cheeks) but on my body I know I have a bit of excess padding. I don't have a muffin top but my thigh gap is quite narrow lol and I feel heavy on my upper arms.
I'm just waiting for exams (and Ramadan) to be over so I can get into a routine to improve my general fitness and hopefully drop back to a 6, maybe even push for 4 :redface:

I'd say we're just average, maybe on the higher side and we should appreciate that we're not clincally overweight nor have any eating disorders or anything :yes: Screw what some of the people on here think. They most likely think they're like supermodels or something (and if they're guys...think they can get one...)
Remember, if you're really self conscious, you can always cut down with a bit of willpower :-) It's never permanent, weight. But don't get carried away :yes:

Yeah I'm 5"3.5 and I'm a size 8 really but occasionally a 6 or a 10 so we do sound similar. I'm going to try to lose weight and hopefully get back to a size 6 or maybe 4 too but please don't listen to Madeline and worry that you have to (sorry if you weren't; it just sounded like you were worrying about what she said and answering her questions). Haha yeah you're probably right about some of the people on here but they're not perfect either - I saw on one of Madeline's previous posts that she had to have Botox at 18.
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
I really think you're absolutely fine as is by the sounds of it! I don't think you need to lose weight:smile:

Original post by bones-mccoy
Someone at the same height and weight/size as you could look completely different because they have a different body shape, so it's hard to tell what anyone looks like from just a description.
Honestly, YOU being happy and healthy at your size/weight is the only thing that matters.

Thank you, yes I'm sure you're right.

No problem:smile:
You must just be naturally underweight then. If you were losing weight they would probably need to test you for different medical conditions. That's probably what they mean. I know what you mean about doctors though - they weren't exactly great for my illness either. You should probably combine eating more with exercise in order to try and gain weight in a healthy way. To be honest though, if I was you I would just stay that size if you're healthy and it's your natural weight. I'm sure you look really great honestly.

Doctors in foreign countries are wayyyy better....I will have to go elsewhere just for treatment I guess if this continues. Thanks hun :h: and i am sure you look beautiful too.
Doctors in foreign countries are wayyyy better....I will have to go elsewhere just for treatment I guess if this continues. Thanks hun :h: and i am sure you look beautiful too.

Are they? I've never been to a doctor abroad so I wouldn't know. Yes, if you think it would be better I suppose you could. It does seem a bit drastic to go abroad though haha! You're welcome! Thank you! :h:

You have got to be kidding?

I'm 4'9 and a size 6-10 depending on item of clothing and the shop I buy it at. Does that make me fat in your crazy mind?

And am I fat because I don't have a thigh gap? FYI I didn't have a thigh gap even when my BMI was 17 and I was underweight. But yes of course without a thigh gap even when underweight I must have been so fat.

You cannot determine whether someone is fat by a ridiculous number such as 8 or 10 in clothing. For one clothing sizes are not standardised in the slightest. Which is why in some store a size 6 will be massive and other stores a size 10 will be too small.

But yes of course even though I look like this: http://i.imgur.com/hnj6moM.jpg
and have a BMI well within the healthy range, because I sometimes need a size 8 or 10 because 6's don't allow for my breasts and hips even though even a size 6 is too large for my waist I must be soooo fat.

Now I don't give a hoot if you think my body is perfect or slim enough, and if you come back to me and say I'm fat I'll honestly just laugh because your opinion on my body is pretty worthless as far as I'm concerned.

But there are girls a lot younger and a lot more impressionable and less emotionally stable and confident in themselves than I am who may take your absolutely ridiculous statements to heart. And I want them to see this and to know that your opinion is laughable and to never listen to people like you.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply